Parking Charge Notice of £70 from ParkingEye

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

I recently parked in Aldi in Gillingham to visit a friend for the evening on 5th September 2007, I received a Parking Charge Notice today with date issued 11th October.

I was there for 4 hours when the maximum was 1hr 30mins obviously thinking in the evening no parking wardens would be around so I thought I would be ok, but as it turns out I got this PCN today.

Its £70 or £40 if I pay within 14 days.

The PCN looks very much like a police document well so it looks like its made to look like (if that makes sense).

They say they have photographic evidence of me entering and leaving at the times which I don't dispute.

Anyway, does anyone know of how I can get out of it, because I have heard from people before its not the same as a council or police notice.

I am not the registered keeper as my Dad owns the car, which he forwarded the PCN onto me.

Thanks,

Carl

I understand it a little bit.

Basically I was thinking of getting the RK to write a letter saying that he wasn't the driver cause I was so he could not of entered the contract?

Its that ok?

I understand it a little bit.

Basically I was thinking of getting the RK to write a letter saying that he wasn't the driver cause I was so he could not of entered the contract?

Its that ok?

The RK should write back:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your correspondence.

This is a matter you need to take up with the driver of the vehicle.

Yours faithfully

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Not quite. The RK does not have to name you. The RK should send the following.

Dear Sir,

I am in receipt of your invoice number XXXXXXX.

I note that you have sent this to me as the registered keeper of the vehicle concerned.

However, any purported contract can only have been formed by the driver at the time - this was not me and I therefore suggest that you contact the driver.

I am not prepared to engage in any further communication with you. If you believe that I, as registered keeper am liable, then I suggest you proceed to Court without further delay - any such action will be strongly defended

Yours faithfully

etc.

Not quite. The RK does not have to name you. The RK should send the following.

Dear Sir,

I am in receipt of your invoice number XXXXXXX.

I note that you have sent this to me as the registered keeper of the vehicle concerned.

However, any purported contract can only have been formed by the driver at the time - this was not me and I therefore suggest that you contact the driver.

I am not prepared to engage in any further communication with you. If you believe that I, as registered keeper am liable, then I suggest you proceed to Court without further delay - any such action will be strongly defended

Yours faithfully

etc.

You can't form a purported contract.

I prefer short and sweet but if you go with this suggestion change the relevant paragraph to:

However, any purported contract can only have involved the driver at the time - this was not me and I therefore suggest that you contact the driver.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

I have read many of the messages on here about parking charges but I do not understand why anyone answers them, why bother. If the delivery is not recorded I would not bother answering it on the basis I never received it as anything that looks remotely like junk mail is recycled immeadiatey or simply--prove I received it.

It worked the last time when I parked overnight on the A5 services, I just ignored it and never heard anymore.

People worry because many of these tickets are purposely (and unlawfully) done up to look 'official', i.e. criminal, and that would worry anyone. However, my little maxim is 'just because the man's in a uniform, doesn't mean he's a policeman'...I've always found that the best approach :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I have read many of the messages on here about parking charges but I do not understand why anyone answers them, why bother. If the delivery is not recorded I would not bother answering it on the basis I never received it as anything that looks remotely like junk mail is recycled immeadiatey or simply--prove I received it.

It worked the last time when I parked overnight on the A5 services, I just ignored it and never heard anymore.

The above is a good point and this is a tactic adopted by many people. However, the PPCs have a habit of ramping up the charges as time goes on. One nasty little outfit UK P.A.O. even claims to be able to invoke "liquidated damages" at £3 / day on outstanding "debts". It's all bo**ocks but, in the very unlikely event of a PPC using the small claims court, it's as well to have evidence that you did dispute the invoice and made some effort to avoid going to court.

In my case I sent the RK letter and then the "put up or shut within 14 days letter, that one by Recorded Delivery. It did not do any good, at least not instantly, but knowing these were to hand as evidence if required made me feel better.

As a half way house you could cheerfully ignore everything up to the Debt Collector's letter, write back to them saying the debt is disputed, refer back to the PPC. If true to current form then you should hear nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know I sent a letter last week saying this needs to be taken up with the RK and each time they or any of there agencies or companies they pass the fine onto, I will charge them £50 for writing to them.

Will let you all know if I get a reply!!!

Just to let everyone know I sent a letter last week saying this needs to be taken up with the RK and each time they or any of there agencies or companies they pass the fine onto, I will charge them £50 for writing to them.

Will let you all know if I get a reply!!!

No. The letter should be sent by the RK - the only name/address that the **** have - and should say that the matter needs to be taken up with the driver.

Please note , the signage at Aldi in Gillingham has the word PENALTY on it. Also the info distributed by Aldi about the carpark has the word 'FINE' printed on it.

This wording is associated with the Road Traffic Act, whereas the Aldi car-park, being a private car-park facility is operated within the remit of Contract Law, and free for shoppers use for 1.5 hours. Parking for longer is deemed as 'over-stay' and is dealt with within the remit of contract law. (read the sticky, all you need to know) Its important, learn about your rights and all there is to know about private car-parks so you don,t stumble unaware of the pit-falls.

Parking Eye are seeking to equate Traffic Law with Contract Law. Traffic Law has manditory penalties whereas Contract Law defines the loss's incured as damages. Since the carpark is free, the £70 charge is a penalty (as stated on the sign) and is unenforceable in contract law because it is deemed as excessive and extortionate.

Ask Private Eye to provide the statutary or case law citations to support charging you a penalty for over-stay.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

I've been dealing with a pcn from parking Eye on another thread, I decided to ignore until the debt collectors letter and lo and behold the debt collection company is also Parking Eye! The address is the same except the po box number and the phone operator was the same [EDIT] girl I spoke to the first time I got the PCN, I told her it was in dispute to which she got all huffy and when I quoted her some contract law stuff (thanks to the sticky) and threated to claim harrassment (as the letter threatened to clamp me and that the bailiffs would seize goods - which cannot be enforced except by the courts as I believe) she said she would "put a note on the system".

Surely it's worng that the PCN can also act as a debt collectors for their own charges?

One for Watchdog I think ;-)

I'm not paying they can get lost! That really riled me!

Edited by alanfromderby