Greetings from a Newbie...

DaveM241
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning one and all.

I have just registered here as my wife just back from a weeks relaxing pampering break abroad finds a letter from Red debt collection agency offering a final settlement of £605 on an outstanding debt of £1511.70 to HBOS. Not bad eh ????? - (Hey welcome home darling )!!!!

....except my wife knows nothing of this debt, have never had any dealings with Halifax or HBOS or any other company beginning with 'H'. I look after all the family financial matters and have no knowledge of this debt at all. Wondering if it might be a [problem] so Trading standards help desk gets a call first thing in the morning.

A quick Google pointed me straight here, I had a little peep and thought there appears to be some decent info here.

Just saying Hello before I start trawling the threads and forums looking for info.

Morning all

DaveM241

Hi Dave and welcome to the site.There are loads of people on here who will help you in whatever way they can. The weekends are a bit quiet so you might not get instant responses but they will come.

I would be very wary of this letter. It seems that some companys that but old debts and have no address for the debtors simply send these to addresses with the same name and hope they get lucky in finding the original debtor.

I will have a look around as I am sure there was a recent question along the same lines that received plenty of responses!

Well blow me down .....

I only posted to say hello - didnt expect a response especially so fast.

Thanks for info Freaky ??? will phone trading standards in the am and send off one of those CCA letters to Red and see what happens.

I think you might be correct about sending a standard letter to all those with a same name, still a bit of a shock to receive such a letter !!

DaveM241

• Haha 1

Hi Dave,

I too am a newbie and had an identical situation to yours.. ie lovely holiday came in opened the mail then BAM!

I am monitoring my situation but often pop to the site to know i'm not alone and to re-read how to deal with the worst...

I have found this site to be ever so helpful and am glad that the nice well educated folk give their time to help

Good luck

• Haha 1

Many thanks LittleMrs....

This morning posted off a CCA request to RED via recorded delivery with a 'non standard' wifes signiture on it. She queried this when i asked her to sign the letter until i told her about this site and Red not being a very nice group of people. Lets wait and see what happens.............

Mistral does not seem to be available on the forum, but that's unimportant. I use it for signatures on letters to undesirables.

I seem to have a load of fonts available and just scroll down to Mistral, click on 20 point (and bold if I'm feeling bolshie) and make my mark, as well as Mrs. Van's if necessary.

Easier and quicker than trying to say Howard Cohen of Cleckheaton.

Van

Well got that sorted.

Received a reply from RED a couple of days ago saying Terribly sorry Mrs **** we appear to have got the wrong Mrs **** we wont bother you again. After reading through this site and being just a wee bit paranoid think will give it a couple of weeks and credit check the Misses.

Thanks for all the help.

DaveM241