• Tweets

• Does anyone know if I would be allowed to record conversations with health professionals for my own use on my phone without them knowing. I know that we are allowed to record phone calls. I do record some of my phone calls for my own use due to my disability and if anything is said then I am covered. I would only record audio in private area's of myself and the professional dealing with me. I know I could not get and other persons audio in it and I don't intend to. my only other option is to buy a body cam but I am not sure the rules regarding this.I never thought i would have to but things are getting worse Thanks for any guidance 
    • Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help please - MBNA Harrassment

towelie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was looking for some advice please. I am doing this on behalf of my mum who, to cut a long story short has got into some debt problems. She has contacted all her creditors who are accepting payment of £10 per month.

All except MBNA. They phone her all the time telling her the £10 is not enough and if she doesnt increase the payments they will apply for a charge to repossess her house. Last week a manager phoned and told my mum they would only accept £150. My mum has advised them on several occasions she can only afford £10 per month. She posted a letter to all creditors which she got given from payplan. Also the manager advised my mum she has had £2000 worth of charges since March this year (dont worry dpa has been sent for statements). She even had the cheel to ask my mum to sell her house to pay back the debt she owes them, which is march was £4900 and it now up to £6738.

Am I right in thinking we can send them a harrassment letter asking for correspondence in writing only. My mum aint well health wise and sitting worrying that her house might be repossed by MBNA aint doing her any favours.

Any advice would be grateful.

My claims

Halifax - Data Protection Act 26/5/06, non compliance of Data Protection Act 20/07/06, Prelim £260 3/8, LBA 19/8

TSB - Data Protection Act 25/6/06, total £225, Prelim 4/7, LBA 11/7, court claim filed 27/7

Capital One - DPA 20/06/06, Prelim £270 1/8 LBA sent 9/8

B.O.S CC - DPA 20/06/06, prelim 6/7 £130, LBA 21/7/06, court claim to be filed

Citi cards - Data Protection Act sent 20/06/06, prelim 26/07 £520, LBA t 14/8

Black horse finance - DPA 18/06/06, prelim 31/7 £180, LBA 7/8

Halifax joint account - Prelim 6/7 £744, LBA 22/7 court claim to be filed

My Mums claims

MBNA - DPA 13/06/06, Prelim 17/7 £738, LBA 7/8

Capital One - DPA 29/05/06, Prelim 10/8 £570

Barclaycard - DPA 20/06/06, Prelim 6/7 for £420, LBA 17/7 court claim to be filed

Littlewoods CC - DPA sent 3/7, non compliance of DPA sent 14/8

Indeed - this is just harrassment.

See copy of letter below......

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act (1949) and I will report you to both Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

NAME HERE

This should do the trick, but, if it doesn't, keep your cool and report them to the Office of Fair Trading and your local trading standards office. There is now a specific complaint form which you can download from the internet to make an official complaint and you can obtain it here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/nr/rdonlyres/b3999175-a9bc-469d-ad5b-ba284de36e01/0/complaint.doc

PLEASE USE IT

Remember, keep your cool at all times, don't be intimidated by a piece of plastic, if you don't like what you're listening to, put the phone down - and remember the most important thing of all is to put and get things in writing at all times.

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for quick response. They are intimidating my mum but they wont intimidate me and i will keep going til I get back what is rightfully hers. :)

Spent about 4 weeks now reading over this site and have started several claims. Fingers crossed and once I recive MY money back there will be a donation on the way.

My claims

Halifax - Data Protection Act 26/5/06, non compliance of Data Protection Act 20/07/06, Prelim £260 3/8, LBA 19/8

TSB - Data Protection Act 25/6/06, total £225, Prelim 4/7, LBA 11/7, court claim filed 27/7

My Mums claims

Barclaycard - DPA 20/06/06, Prelim 6/7 for £420, LBA 17/7 court claim to be filed

Hi, i'm sorry to hear of your mums problems! but a mortgage is a priority debt if you dont pay you will have the house repossessed! did the payment plan people not tell you this? even if she pays everyone else £1 per month she must pay her mortgage. sorry rewind is it her mortgage or a loan secured on it?

Hiya

This is just for a credit card, she has been making sure her mortgage gets paid every month. She went to payplan who advised her to offer £1 per month, they worked out she could actually afford £10 per month and all her other creditors have accepted this. She has been paying MBNA the £10 also so they couldnt say she was ignoring the debt but they want different amounts each time they phone her from anything between £50 - £150, which she has told them on numerous occasions she cant afford. She has also been to CAB who to be honest wasnt really helpful. their advice was for her to get rid off her 2 dogs so she will save money on dog food, get rid off their car (both parents are disabled) and sell her home.

I am in the middle of sending dpas off to her and my credit cards/bank. Have just copied the above harrassment letter to send MBNA and am also gonna send them a letter asking them to freeze interest and charges. Dunno if it will work but as the saying goes "Shy bairns get nowt"

I wont give up and will do everything possible so she doesnt have to sell her home. it hasnt got that bad yet.

My claims

My Mums claims

If your mum is on a debt management plan with Payplan they presumably will have established that the most she can pay MBNA is £10 per month. She absolutely should not be paying any more than this, as Payplan will have assessed her income and outgoings and established this is the absolute maximum she can pay.

She must not allow herself to be bullied by MBNA. She absolutely should send the letter suggested above, and by the same token I would strongly recommend that she inform them that the most she will pay them is what has been deemed as the maximum by Payplan, ie £10. Not a penny more.

MBNA are (edit) - I'm on a debt management plan with CCCS (like Payplan, a charity that makes no money from the person in debt) and experienced copious problems with MBNA ignoring my letters, sending default notices (to be expected), passing the debt over to debt collection agencies who then proceeded to send their own nasty letters (countered by an immediate response from me explaining I was on a management plan and was paying the absolute maximum to them I could afford). Their (edit) tries to wear you down but the bottom line is do not cave in.

The worse that can happen is that they will attempt to take your mum to court in pursuit of the debt (in about three years of harrassment from them, they have never done this to me) and the bottom line is they know full well they will be laughed out of court.

One thing she should try to get them to do is to freeze interest and, if appropriate, late payment and overlimit fees as soon as she can. I wasn't strong enough with them at the start and it took them 15 months to actually do this, adding around £1500 to the debt in the process.

I extend every sympathy to your mum for having to deal with these (edit) - however much they persist, don't let her cave in. Remember, if they go to court they will not get any more than £10 per month.

[MODERATED: Libelous comments removed]

Clatyts:

With respect to you, they are not (edit), they are (edit)

When in debt you are treated like ***** and thats on a good day.

I have discovered over the past 2 years, since becoming debt/creditor free and with a bit more more financial clout, most financial companies cave pretty rapidly when you pressurise them.

Stick with it towelie, don't be bullied. Since most call centres use annoymous/withheld numbers, can you get your phone provider to block such calls? Or just ask for a change of telephone number?

[MODERATED: Abusive and libelous comments removed]

Hi -sound grim.

MBNA are signed up to the Banking Code of practice I believe, which amount other things sets out how member should behave when dealing with customers in financial difficulties.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/39/financial-difficulty-debits-39.htm

You might want to remind them off this too! Enjoy!:-D

RBOS - £1435.00 LBA - 2/5/06 - rtn date 6/07 -hearing 13./07 Settled 1st claim of £740 + costs in full.

Abbey - £1525.00 LBA- 8/5/06

Clydesdale -£1738.10 - LBA 16/06/06

"that will be my money, non?"

So, let's summarise.

They're in breach of:

The Banking Code.

The Administration of Justice Act.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act.

The Protection from Harrassment Act.

I think they're pretty much in the soft brown sticky stuff... all that remains is for you to tell them that and watch the fur fly...

lol thanks for all the replies. Just been to my mums and got her to sign the letter about harrassment :) She still isnt convinced but I have told her and she knows about this forum, just she doesnt have access to the internet. I am going to re-write another letter telling them basically £10 is all she can afford and also about them freezing interest and charges. I told her after they have received this letter about harassment if they do phone her to refuse to talk to them, advise them of the letter she sent and hang up, then inform me and i will report them. I aint gonna let them bully her and stressed to her tonight to not let them bully her.

She did laugh when she read the letter and said MBNA will be wondering when she got so clever about all the acts. Makes me wonder if they have recived DPA request yet, wish I was a fly on the wall when they see we are claiming back her charges.

thanks again and will keep you posted.

My claims

My Mums claims

Just one final piece of advice - send everything to them by recorded delivery otherwise they will deny the existence of any letters you send ;)

Good luck - hope the advice here has helped. Your mum is not alone, I promise. :)

It's only a tiny point, but recorded delivery is really only any use for your own peace of mind (knowing it has been delivered). Too many of these don't get signed for, leaving you with the impression that an item has not actually been delivered.

If you really want peace of mind, go special delivery for the extra money.

However, if you go to any post office you can ask for a free certificate of postage. This is just as useful in court - save the money!

1st class post is deemed to have been delivered in 2 working days.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

A few months ago I was getting harrassed with a phone call every three or four days from MBNA. I owe them £12.5k.

Then I went on a Debt Management Plan (with CCCS) and told them I couldn't favour them above other unsecured creditors. They still kept pestering for a while by phone.

Then I wrote to MBNA and complained about the harrassment. I also told them to remove my phone number from their records, which seems to have worked so far but perhaps it was because I was becoming immune any way.

Now I just get alternate letters every few weeks first from the MBNA good cop and then the bad cop. One offers to write off about 65% of the debt if I pay them the 35% now. The other accuses me of favouring other creditors, which I'm not, which for me, is like water off a ducks back now.

Now starting the process to claim back all the charges. He he.

Lloyds TSB - £3,300.00 + £250.00 from FOS.

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED***

Good luck with your claim!!!

I will send everything special delivery so they cant deny receiving anything. :)

My claims

My Mums claims

I was looking for some advice please. I am doing this on behalf of my mum who, to cut a long story short has got into some debt problems. She has contacted all her creditors who are accepting payment of £10 per month.

Hi, I sympathise with your Mam fully, I'm in the same boat along with many many others. Take the very good advice on offer and tell Mam she's not alone. The only way is up:) :)

Goodluck

Moneydownthedrain

Hi, like everyone before has said, they are trying to wear you down.

They will use every tactic in the book, with me they rang my parents, never went through security and decided to tell my father that if he didn't pay they would take him to court.

Ignore everything they say, and insist on communicating in writing only - they will totally ignore this of course.

Always ask for the login ID of the person you are speaking to, if they won't give it to you ...ask again. It's the reverse of their persistence in telling you the calls will stop if only you pay...this much.

you might also send a letter of protest to :

[email protected] he's their CEO here in the UK

[email protected] their solicitor.

I'd send an email each and everytime you recieve a call - I kept a log of all the times they called.

If you can, record the conversations - if you can't get a tape player and a phone with a speaker great, but if not... try the following:

SPYMASTER - Leading Professional Suppliers of Security, Surveillance, Counter-Surveillance, and Personal Protection Equipment enter the site, goto online catalogue and look under telephone recording equipment.

Also, one last thing to tell your mum,

MBNA cannot sieze her home.

If all else fails they can do the following (which they won't) and that is apply for a CCJ. This isn't as bad as it sounds, you see, you must remember that credit debt is unsecred debt. - there was never any equity offered as assurity for the loan. So it's the equivalent of you lending someone fifty quid and shaking on repaying fiver a month, and not holding onto the keys to their car till you get it all back!

so, if it goes to CCJ, a judge will take over all proceedings. This is the important bit you see, because the minute it goes to court, it is the court that decides how much your mother can afford. She doesn't have to attend court, it's all done in the post. The charges, interest, and fees all stop - by order of the courts.

Money is collected by the court, and distributed.

Do you see why as has been mentioned above, 3 years on and they haven't done **** all?

If the debt drags on, the creditor can ask the court to get you to release equity in your home, but it is only up to the ammount needed to clear the debt - a remortgage, but this doesn't happed quickly, again it's something that's threatened rather than carried through.

The credit rating is already shot, the threats are hollow at this point.

Go to National Debtline, for FREE CONFIDENTIAL and INDEPENDENT ADVICE call 0808 808 4000 and download the self help pack. There is a letter template inviting the creditor to take you to court as they haven't agreed to your offer, and perhaps a judgement is actually the best course of action.

Keep strong... and keep posting, everyone is having the same bun fight with these (edit).

If MBNA were around fifty years ago, (edit).

[MODERATED: Abusive & libelous comments removed]

• 1 month later...

I am in the middle of claiming back charges for my mum on her credit cards. On most of them she has been paying PPI. Shoe doesnt remember agreeing to it as she is disabled and has been for a number of years so wouldnt be able to claim under it anyway.

I have worked out how much she has paid to each of them for PPI. All I want to know is when I send the prelim asking for a refund of PPI do I calculate 8% interest the same as with the charges. Also if this is the case, can I claim the interest when I first ask for the refund?????

Any help would be a great help. have looked about a few forums but most PPI are relating to loans and are slightly different.

My claims

My Mums claims

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice please as am a bit confused.

I am claiming back charges for my mum from MBNA. We are in Scotland so can only claim £750 at a time.

The first claim I had sent was for £738. The final date before filing at court is today. When I first sent the prelim they paid £100 goodwill and last week they have credited her account with £300, which she has received no letter explaining so we dont know why they have done this. We are just assuming it is because of charges.

The second claim which I was gonna start after i had done the above one was for £161.

Question I have is can I deduct off £400 from the original spreadsheet I sent them, add on the £161 then file it at court. Or would I have to go through the prelim and LBA process for the £161 as well before I can add it to the current claim.

Hope this makes sense and hope someone can give me some advice.

My claims

My Mums claims

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I am in the middle of claiming back ppi that has been missold to my mum on her credit cards.

Problem is with MBNA I dont know exactly how much she has paid. Before I send a prelim asking for it back do I need to know the exact amount.

We sent a DPA for her charges but all they sent back was a list of charges and not copy statements.

Should I write to them and ask for the amount she has paid or just send a prelim asking for refund?

My claims

My Mums claims

You don't need to know the exact ammount.

In your preliminary letter you should be able to ask for a breakdown of payments.

If you look in the templates section, there you will find a request for information.

Don't go in all guns blazing with preliminary letters until you have the information you need. Then follow the format and stick to your guns.

When the time comes to get heavy just do yourself a favour and send a letter to michael Rhodes and Donna Pumfrey as well - just so that it spells out what they have done to your family.

Keep us informed of your progress. Oh, and don't fall for any of the stalling tactics that will be used as well. Keep reading as much as you can here in order to get a fee for what they are like and what can be done.

Look back through the MBNA threads and find SEV vs MBNA and Surreyscouse vs MBNA, these are action packed and you can learn a lot. I certainly did on surreyscouse's and angrycat's threads.