• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Byrom and Keeley DMP Providers - Friends or Foes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new to the website,

I've trawled through just about all the threads I think are of relevance to my situation,

but I feel my head is going to explode with the information overload.

I could do with some advice.

I currently have a DMP with Byrom and Keeley working out of Manchester.

It just so happens I'm off work at the moment and I actually decided to scrutinise my monthly plan that had been distributed on the 3rd June 10.

There were alot of amounts that Byrom and Keeley stated that were not correct,

as I get monthly paperwork from various DCAs with the usual you've paid this,

you owe this can you afford anymore.

And the figures the DCAs are giving me are way off what Byrom and Keeley are saying

(B&K in some areas stated alot more than the DCAs).

I rang them and asked to have confirmed what each Creditor balance was and what monthly rate they pay it at.

They told me they had 24 hrs to come up with the goods,

which I requested be emailed to me,

as I work outside of the UK

and the postal system isn't the best where I am.

The 24 hrs runs out in about 2 hrs and I doubt I'll get the answers to my questions.

Running on from that I've read numerous threads regarding CCAs requests

(I have quite a few debts from longer than 6 years ago),

which I pay every month at a reduced rate

and I pay for my wife's debts aswell (this isn't an issue).

Now if I don't get a reasonable answer from my DMP people should I go down the line of starting to ask the DCAs for CCAs and stop payments until I receive them,

or should I stop paying money to the DMP people and pay the DCAs directly myself?

Anyone who can advise on my situation would be greatly appreciated and if it's recommended I stop paying the DMP and request CCAs could they send me the link for template letters that I should send? I thank you all in advance.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you could benefit IMMENSELY from this community!

Hang in there and someone more qualified will be along to advise!

If I were you I would stop all payments immediately to Byrom & Keeley until I found out that the DCA's are indeed fully entitled to collect.

This means sending CCA requests to each and every one.

It smells like Byrom & Keeley are making loads of money off your back!

They probably do not care about your legal standing regarding your creditors and it is in their interests to get you to pay as much as they can because of their profits!

(in 'my' opinion these Debt Management companys are parasites as well and just as loathesome as the DCA's).

I'm almost sure you will be way better off dumping the DMP and sorting this yourself!

I'll bet that the DCA's are the usual vermin and very likely not entitled to a penny!

Have you any idea who the DCA's are?

Also, in order for the community here to be able to offer the best help and advice can you be more specific about details?

The community here is FANTASTIC and they will give you any letters you need!

Edited by RoyalIrish

Hi Royal Irish

The DCAs are as follows:

Aqua Card Services

iQor

Link Financial (very old debt)

Robinson Way x 2 (very old debts)

H L Legal Collections Solicitors (I think from my reading they are just Capquest)

1st Credit Limited x 2

AIC UK Ltd

Reliable Collections Ltd

Lloyds TSB Bank Plc (its for an overdraft)

Capquest (in addition to H L above)

The DMP people get a payment of 87.50 after my money has been spread about.

Yes they get 87.50 after my creditors have been paid, as they deal with them direct, that is why I'm on here, to get advice on which way to go, as I've been paying for years and it seems neverending.

Just reading through their site Debt solutions | Information and Advice | Byrom&Keeley

And they have the wrong attitude completely, simply saying that debts over 15k can be dealt with by an IVA or Bankruptcy.....completely wrong!

I don't like what I read on their at all.

Are they taking a fee for doing this for you?

If so, then I would be inclined to do the job of a DMC myself, although you say that post is an issue???

And as all of the process is done via mail this may pose a bit of a problem for you, although depending on what the alleged debts are for, credit cards loans overdrafts etc will dictate the process needed.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

That £87.50 is much better spent CCAing the lot of them, especially 1st Credit....

I did have a dmp for a brief time but came out of it as they insisted on paying one of my alleged creditors far more than they deserved, and it was one of the more suspect alleged debts. The three months I spent on the DMP also didn't do much so I found CAG and did it myself with much better results.

Yes they get 87.50 after my creditors have been paid, as they deal with them direct, that is why I'm on here, to get advice on which way to go, as I've been paying for years and it seems neverending.

PLEASE STOP paying immediately!

You need to establish if these vermin are legally entitled to collect your hard earned cash!

Hi Bazooka Boo, when I say post is an issue, I live in Germany at the moment. Not on top of a mountain, I should have been a bit more specific.

Just got my updated DMP from Byrom and Keeley that I asked for which I'm very surprised at.

I am concerned that if I stop paying Byrom and Keeley, don't pay the DCAs either and then send out CCAs to the DCAs that they'll mug me off and go straight to my employers who would take a very dim view of my situation.

I can send Recorded or Registered Post from Germany aswell.

Bazooka Boo forgot to say the debts are for Credit cards, loans, overdraft and Next Directory (don't know what they come under). If there are certain letter templates depending on the debt could you put the links down please if you know of any.

They can't go to your employers unless they first get a County Court Judgement and you don't pay it - they could then apply for an attachment of earnings. However, if those DCA's have your last address as being in the UK, they could issue court claims to your old address and you wouldn't know. Do you know what address they have for you?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I suspect that penmarine has a BFPO address, in which case his fears of employer contact may not be entirely without foundation.

Strictly speaking MOD considers personal debt to be a private matter, but some Commanding Officers take a different view. Whilst the only time it should make a difference is where an individual is DV cleared, some units consider that debt is an indication of a lack of integrity or irresponsibility; it could affect promotion.

That said, the Data Protection Act prevents DCAs and creditors making explicit contact, but some do try the old 'we are trying to contact Mr X who gave his address as ....' trick. Some units bin these, some ask the individual if he needs any help, and some go down the old fashioned 'bringing the unit into disrepute' track. All mail goes to a central mail room, and even DCAs silly 'we will be calling' cards could arouse suspicion.

Consequently, it is important to have a tight grip on the DCAs to give them no opportunity to cause a problem. Remember, though, that their systems are sausage machines - they won't be singling anyone out because of their address or job.

There are a couple of other things that can be done that I won't disclose on this means.

I would still bin these DMP people and grip this yourself.

Hi ScarletPimpernel, you talked about other means but not on this forum, how can I contact you by other means. As I'm about to stop the Standing Order to the DMP people, pay some of the DCAs directly (for the newer debts) and CCA the older ones until I have my CCA if they can find them.

Well I've taken my life into my own hands and cancelled the DMP payment, will write my CCAs and get them sent off tomorrow.

And will be back again when I start getting letters off them no doubt.

I will be starting DSARs aswell to try and claim back PPI and charges aswell.

So far the replies have been a great help and given me the confidence to deal with these leeches myself instead of paying someone else to send a few bits of A4 out on my behalf.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Cheers guys and girls

Don't fret about the DV Clearance if indeed this is the case.

CTC - Doesn't go into financial matters

SC - Checks your financial situation

I had to have mine (SC) done recently for my trade in the Army and I am awaiting the outcome!

As long as you are honest and upfront about it you will be treated fairly!

It's the honesty that's the most important thing with the Vetting system!

They will not slate you if you are trying to get a grip on things and are going through a bad patch!

Besides, if these debts are as old as they appear then you will have been vetted already and the MOD will be well aware of your situation!

As far as I know they use Experian for their credit checks!

I have know guys with debts of 6 figures pass SC, as long as the debt can be explained and you don't try to hide anything then you'll be ok!

The Vetting people take a very dim view of anyone trying to conceal any past financial problems.

If you answer any of the questions regarding defaults or financial problems etc. on the MOD1109 they will send you a Financial Questionaire to complete.

BIG pain in the arse to do took me ages to put down all my creditors etc.

If I pass then thats ok! if I don't then they will see that I was honest, which is a BIG thing!

All it means is they I will either have to 're-trade' or be 'closely monitored'.

RI

Edited by RoyalIrish

That stuff doesnt bother me, I've always declared my financial situation, thats not a problem,

someone would have to chop my body apart before I even contemplated selling up my colleagues or country for a bit of bish bosh.

I know how vetting works.

I've prepped my CCAs would it be worth sending out DSARs to other banks in regard to PPI and bank charges tomorrow aswell, these would dramatically reduce my amounts I think.

As I've now got the bit between me teeth, thanks to the forums!!!

I have SC, and DVA told me that they aren't bothered even by a few CCJs - they look for large unexplained income and massive borrowing that you wouldn't be able to get on salary.

I'd bet that Reliable won't be able to produce anything at all.

Lloyds will probably be the trickiest, and AIC are as thick as mince and don't know when to stop.

I have SC, and DVA told me that they aren't bothered even by a few CCJs - they look for large unexplained income and massive borrowing that you wouldn't be able to get on salary.

Agreed, to require DV clearance is quite role specific, and you would be entitled to explain your circumstances, as it will clearly state on your form what debts you have etc.

So IMO nothing to worry about.

Although it is extremely common for these lowlifes to contact your employer, CO, BC, TSM etc (Arty!) in my experience you get nothing more than to tap the boards in front of them to explain why they were called about a personal matter.

Very rarely are they bothered that you are in debt, 99% of any unit is in debt to someone somewhere along the line. Thats what we do, live beyond our means as you never know what the next day might bring!

If you know that you have PPI on some of the accounts/loans then yes by all means DSAR the OC with a view to claiming these back, and have it offset the total balance.

Just ensure everything is sent recorded delivery, and those that you send the CCA to have 12 working days from receipt of the request to supply you with it, when they fail to do so, or send you hamster bedding, then send them the 'Failed' letter and withhold all payments.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi BB

So even though I send the CCAs, I still pay them until I put a second letter in due to no CCA being sent? Or stop paying them as of today when I send the requests? It confused with that bit.

Ta

PM

RI

Done my CCAs today, they are going off in the post tomorrow. I've been looking for a DSAR template on this forum cannot find one, can you point me in the right direction and who do I send them to, the bank or the DCA.

Ta

PM