The proof that "Metroplitan Credit Services" are just another part of HSBC

netg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just started a run-in with this crowd, all due to a screw-up by HSBC (well, I've yet to get that proven, but I'm pretty sure.)

One thing you ought to know is "MCS" are NOT really a separate company to HSBC. Although they will not tell you, they are a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC bank - you can get that information from Companies House - I downloaded a copy of the Annual Return dated 14/6/2007 and it's there in black and white: MCS has only issued 2 shares, and those 2 shares are owned by "HSBC Asset Finance (UK) Ltd", 8 Canada Square, London. So technically MCS are a separate legal entity to HSBC, in practise HSBC have 100% control of MCS's activities.

Further proof:

I received a call on my mobile from "MCS" today - at the time I hadn't realised that "MCS" was "Metropolitan", so I refused to speak to them when they asked me to confirm my date of birth etc., as I said I didn't know who they were. Later, when I realised, I tried to call them back on the same number they had called me from - +44 800 7838 422 and amusingly got a recorded message which said "You were called by HSBC bank. No further action is required by you and there is no need to return the call." (Could anybody here make a recording of it? its a free-phone number).

So, apart from being slightly amusing (they've screwed up they're "we're a separate company" pretence) this makes it very obvious that they're hooked directly into HSBC's telephone system, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're also directly hooked into HSBC's computer system too (hmmm... would that be illegal, data protection issues?)

So why all this pretence?

* I'd imagine the main reason is they're trying to put the wind up you, trying to make you think you've been "referred" to a "Collections Agency" with they think will make you uncomfortable or even scared. They use a similar FUD technique with you on the phone (FUD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt)

* Other possible reason's that, given the way they behave (seems like their agents are all ex-Gestapo) they might not want such behaviour to be associated with a nice "caring" bank like HSBC, even if it were in the interests of credit-control.

* Finally, they may have internal accounting reasons ("cooking the books") by passing debt to a separate company they as HSBC can write it off as a bad debt, and probably obtain tax-benefits in the shorter term, without actually losing control as the separate company is owned by them anyway.

Not sure about he last point - anybody here got any opinions?

For my part I'm totally disillusioned with HSBC as a result of all this. Apart from the cock-up they made in the first place that resulted in my "debt" the fact that they're now trying to deceive me about the identity of "MCS". I'll be moving my banking and credits card accounts elsewhere once I get this mess sorted.

Nonetheless, I'm going to enjoy my next telephone conversation with them, as I'm going to be the one asking the questions: "Could you explain how you managed to call me from an HSBC telephone number?" etc. :)

My recommendation when you speak to them - don't let them FUD you! Ask them lots of questions. For example if they say something like "blah..blah.... may result in legal action..." reply: "Ok, what date will you be starting the legal action? I'll let my solicitor know." They're probably won't be able to answer the "what date?" question.

Edited by netg
Minor, fix two typos and wikipedia link

This has been obvious for a long time Metro are a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC, they occupy the same office building as DG Solicitors (another wholly owned subsidiary) and they even all have the same data controller (so they have no problems from the Data Protection Act passing data between the companies) I also personally believe they all share the same computer network, the same one your local branch has.

Neat little set up Bank, Solicitor and DCA all effectively the same company, however, in practice it does seem to hinder them rather than help, they get things wrong more often than right.

I suppose if your any good at being a solicitor or a DCA you work for a proper company rather than some corporate facade where you are told what you can and cant do :rolleyes:.

pete

Yes, I'd gathered that the info was already general knowledge (here at least) but I just wanted the proof, so that I can ask them why they're trying to mislead me.

As far as DCA's go, getting Metro on your case is a bit like being savaged by a wet haddock :rolleyes:.

HSBC do sell (assign) debts to proper DCA's when they get no joy from their own people which can be a bit more serious but nothing we cant handle here :).

pete

As far as DCA's go, getting Metro on your case is a bit like being savaged by a wet haddock :rolleyes:. ...

pete

Thanks for the info Pete. I'm not too worried. Their main threat seems to revolve around my credit rating. They don't seemed to have twigged the fact that I've been living outside of the UK for the past 10 years, so my UK credit rating is hardly my primary concern. I'm waiting for them to slip up and threaten that somebody will be calling at my door :)

I also have the satisfaction of knowing they're paying international mobile rates when they call me. Maybe I'll take out a premium rate number and give them that as my contact number :)

I suppose if your any good at being a solicitor or a DCA you work for a proper company rather than some corporate facade where you are told what you can and cant do :rolleyes:.

pete

MCS's "nominal value of issued shares" as recorded by Companies House is 2.00 pounds. So not really enough to pay for a complete cowboy outfit, but maybe just the trousers.

Strange thing - pete and netg - I found contact details for MCS on the net today for 'raz' and they are as follows:

Freephone: 0500 99 22 99

International: 00 44 121 455 2375

Registered Address:

56 St. James Road

Edgbaston

Birmingham

B15 1JL

Registration Number: 1475006

If the freephone number doesn't work - I think the number (judging from the international one ) would be : 0121-455-2375 -it is -I've just tried it!LOL!

I rang it and got an answering message which said they were MCS ...... didn't try the freephone one though....:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

The full truth turns out to be even more convoluted! I've posted my findings today as a separate thread here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/151559-truth-about-mcs-metropolitan.html#post1608084

I had great fun, to be honest they didn't squirm as much as I'd hoped, but there was definitely some squirming going on :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined these forums and I am ready to send these capitalism suckers right to Hell.

To cut a long story short, I became long term ill in 2007 in 2008 and through it became also unemployed - surprise surprise! Employers' duty of care?... not really!... - Anyway...

I had a HSBC Current Account and small FlexiLoan and a HSBC Credit Card. The two credit lines, both covered by sickness/unemployment policies.

For a start, an awsome number of excessive charges on my current account never got any attention from HSBC and to-date I am still waiting for the complete account history to be sent to me.

Then the Credit Card was actually paid in full by the Insurance Policy and - please NOTE - I expected the same to happen with the FlexiLoan, because that is what I was told.

No so! Insurance Policy for FlexiLoans pays for 12 months only, the monthly payment, not the balance. This is not what I was told at the counter!

And finally, whilst the Insurance Policy (Norwich Union) is dealing with my claim under the provisions of the Policy Unemployment, GUESS what HSBC did?!?!... They passed the matter to METROPOLITAN anc closed the accounts.

METROPOLITAN calls me today - Sunday, at 11AM!!! - asking for full payment of the FlexiLoan.

And although told over the phone that the FlexiLoan was being dealt with under Insurance, the harrassment went on and on, demanding payment.

So, if METROPOLITAN really is HSBC, I am stunned that they do not have details of the Insurance claim currently being processed, since they seem to have EVERY other detail about me, including name, address and date of birth!

So, I have lost my patience with these people and swear by God that tomorrow will be SHOUTING day at the branch, straight in public and in front of everyone, because I actually feel that I have had enough of these tossers.

Hiya Cap and welcome to the HSBC forum :).

Your attitude is perfectly understandable and I don't think you will find anyone here who would disagree with you :) but one thing to bear in mind when you go into you branch is the counter staff are probably as much in the dark about what HSBC really get up to as anyone else :rolleyes: and are probably fed corporate "we are right and the customers who complain are just trouble makers" bull**** at regular intervals.

If you can try to see the branch manager, (I doubt he will agree to see you but you can try) and try to sort it out with them. When you get home write and confirm everything you spoke about and any agreements you made.

pete

It's also a good idea to take a littlle notebook with you and make notes in it during the conversation - scares the hell out of them .......:cool: -

and say things like "now , just to be sure I've got this right - you are saying....."

It concentrates their mind if they think they're going to be quoted....:rolleyes:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

Thanks. I will take a notepad, but I think I need to wait for a letter from this Metropolitan. Then, armed with that and the correspondence from the Insurance, I will challenge HSBC.

The most annoying consequence of all this is that I no longer trust any company, bank, institution of any kind, as I become increasingly aware of the globalist shift and its consequences for most people.

Just can't help myself to getting ever more resistant against the whole globalism trend.

The most annoying consequence of all this is that I no longer trust any company, bank, institution of any kind, as I become increasingly aware of the globalist shift and its consequences for most people.

That's the worst part of it, CS - a few banks and businesses have decided there is no such thing as loyalty to customers, only screwing them for as much as they can. :mad:This ,in turn, has made us distrustful of every bank and business . These bloodsuckers have a lot to answer for - let's hope they get called to account soon.........

Meanwhile, keep us up to speed with how yours goes please, the experience of others is always valuable........:-)

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I am in a IVA with a few creditors and MET Coll is one. "what a pain in the arse they are". Met Coll call centre is in the Philippines. Every time i get a call from them they claim not to have heard from Payplan the company i selected to deal with. Even when i have emails from payplan confirming they have passed the information onto them. i.e. Birmingham fax no. 0121455 2997 given to me by the call centre. Now i have a UK phone number i might get to the bottom of it.

Now i have a UK phone number i might get to the bottom of it.

Hi paul - don't bet on it - they have a 0500 No. that patches straight through to the MCS Phillipines .............:rolleyes:

But keep at 'em anyway - ......LOL !

Nemo me impune lacessit