Scotsure Warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6220 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

In October I bought a used car together with 6 months warranty ("warranty type 2") through the Scotsure Insurance Company Ltd, which is provided by the Scottish Motor Trading Association. The warranty handbook set out the terms and conditions for the warranty including a list of those parts of the car that are covered and those that are not. Included in the 'Electrics' section of the list of parts that are covered were "indicator unit" and "horn".

Now, I discovered recently that the 'tick-tock' sound of the indicator had failed, i.e. the indicator was quiet when it was on. Also, one of the 4 buttons for the horn on the steering wheel did not work. I therefore booked my car in to have the faults diagnosed, and the repair work carried out under the warranty described above.

I was surprised to learn that Scotsure would not cover the cost of the repair for either component! Apparently the indicator noise solution is a new dashboard cluster for which the part alone is £300. I do not know what the repair required to the horn involves.

Now, my question is this... is there a course of action I can take against the insurance company since they are refusing to repair components which are clearly stated as covered in their warranty? Particularly is there any legislation I can use as a lever in my negotiations with them?

I see this as a breach of contract. I have written an initial letter to the company asking them to explain their position and have asked for a repsonse within 14 days.

What more can I do, and what course of action is open to me (ultimately small claims court I would imagine)?

I am based in Scotland, and the case would be subject to Scottish Law.

Thank you for reading.