• Tweets

• no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.    Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.   The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved.  Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
    • I was referring to #415 where you wrote "I was forced to try to sell - and couldn't." . And nearer the start in #79 .. "I couldn't sell.  I had an incredibly valuable asset. Huge equity.  But the interest accrued / the property market suffered and I couldn't find a buyer even at a level just to clear the debt." In #194 you said you'd tried to sell for four years.  The reason for these points is that a lot of the claims against for example your surveyor, solicitor, broker, the lender and now the receiver are mainly founded in a belief that they should have been able to do something but did not. Things that might seem self evident to you but not necessarily to others. Pressing these claims may well need a bit more hard evidence, rather than an appeal to common sense. Can you show evidence of similar properties, with similar freehold issues, selling readily? And solid reasons why the lender should have been able to sell when you couldn't.
    • You can use a family's address.   The only caveat is for the final hearing you'd need to be there in person   HOWEVER i'd expect them to pay if its only £200 because costs of attending will be higher than that
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclays are 'unable to help' me get my money back from an unauthorised transaction

MissSigh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is quite a long story and I will try my best to shorten it.

a couple of months ago I decided to go through my Barclays current account bank statements thoroughly to make sure all was ok.

I noticed 4 unknown transactions made to iTunes.

I made an appointment at my local branch to discuss these unknown transactions.

Unfortunately the lady who served me was of no help and said that because the transactions were more than 120 days ago that I wouldn't receive any help.

I understand this is their policy but felt very annoyed because I had only just found the transactions.

She was also useless because when I said I would like a new card sent out to me (seeing as my card details had clearly been stolen) her reply was:

"Have anymore unknown transactions happened recently?" I replied saying "no" and her reply to that was

"Well if it hasn't happened again recently then I doubt it will happen again and I wouldn't worry about it". Seriously?

This is the advice Barclays employees are trained to give to a customer who has had their card details stolen and money taken from their account? In my opinion it's disgusting.

I left the appointment and decided to write a letter about how unhappy I was with the lack of help I received at my appointment

and also to point out I was unhappy that my bank who has my money refuses to help me get money back that has been stolen!

I wrote it to this address:

Customer Relations

Barclays Bank Plc

Leicester

LE87 2BB

I also had another dispute about an unknown 'Debit to Account' on my Barclay Loan and also wrote about that in with the letter.

The lady at my appointment also didn't help me with this, apparently their computer didn't go back that far and that was it, no offer to phone a certain number instead.

I received a reply today, 4 weeks after sending the letter to them.

Their reply was this:

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Unfortunately after initial reviews of your case, we are unable to pursue this matter on your behalf.

VISA have strict time limits which means that transactions which date back as far as your

disputed debit, are too old for us to investigate.

Our best advice for recovering your funds, would be to contact the merchant direct, or to seek assitance from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

We apologise we could not be of any further assitance.

when I sent the original letter to Barclays I also provided a copy of the email I received from Apple

(before contacting Barlcays about the unknown iTunes transactions I emailed Apple about them and Apple replied

and told me there was nothing they could do until my Bank requests a charge back and that's exactly why I decided to then contact my bank, Barclays).

Here is a small quote from the email I received from Apple:

I urge you to contact your card issuer as soon as possible to inquire about canceling the card or account and removing the unauthorized transactions.

You should also ask them to launch an investigation into the security of your account.

Under the circumstances the iTunes Store cannot reverse the charges for those purchases without chargeback orders from your card issuer.

even though I told Barclays that I already contacted Apple and that Apple explained they could not help

until my card issuer reverse the charges Barclays have still told me to go back Apple!

I don't know where I stand here. I have never had to do anything like this before and I haven't a clue where to go from here.

I am not going to contact Apple again as requested by Barclays because I have done so already and I provided proof of that to Barlcays in my original letter.

Oh and I love how Apple advise me that my bank need to launch an investigation into the security of my account but Barlcays didn't :roll:.

It seems as if they don't even care that my details have been stolen.

Either way, I will still be writing back to Barclays because they have totally ignored the other two issues (my Barclayloan and a new debit card/security of my account) that I wrote to them about in my original letter. I had 3 problems that I wanted help with or at least an explanation. In the letter I received today from Barclays all they addressed was 1 of my problems, the other 2 seem to have been completely ignored.

The easiest way to get a new card is to report it lost or stolen, then it will be cancelled and a new one issued.

As you have described it, there is no proof that the debits were from anyone but you so they can't just be reversed as that would leave the flood gates open to everyone to make a purchase of something and then get the payment reversed.

You need to contact the Barclays Fraud Dept and ask for their assistance.

To dispute a transaction on your Barclaycard, call 0844 811 9111

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Contactusaboutfraud/P1242560037908

4 months is an awful long time to leave checking your statements.

As you have described it, there is no proof that the debits were from anyone but you so they can't just be reversed as that would leave the flood gates open to everyone to make a purchase of something and then get the payment reversed.

The proof is in the email that Apple sent me. Apple checked my itunes account and confirmed they were not able to locate the (unauthorised) purchases on my account. So therefore that proves it was not me that made the transactions because otherwise if I did make the transactions myself they would be logged on my itunes account and I would also have the email receipts for the purchases. I don't know maybe that isn't enough proof. So would you like to tell me what sort of proof I would need exactly? If someone has their card details stolen online without even knowing about it (until checking their bank statement) how on earth do they prove that the transaction wasn't actually made by them? I can't see how that would be possible other than how Apple confirmed to me in my email. Or maybe the proof I would need is to find the fraudster who stole my card details and then have them admit to my bank that it was them and not me.

4 months is an awful long time to leave checking your statements.

I agree it is a long time, but I did not say in my original post that I didn't check my statements, I said that I didn't check through them thoroughly. I guess I never thought that it would happen to me, what a fool I was.

Firstly I would like to apologise if my previous reply came across rude and/or sarcastic.

I'm now wondering if there is any point trying to dispute these transactions further seeing as Barclays have stated that once it passes 120 days they cannot do anything. So even if I did have proof etc the '120 days' have passed and I would assume this is what Barclays would remind me of. After reading the letter I was very angry earlier when I first made this thread and I was just hoping I had some rights to take this further. Because the 120 days have passed I guess I would probably just be banging my head against a wall.

I may contact Apple again as Barclays have suggested in todays letter, just to see if they say something different this time about the chargeback. I'm curious to see what they will say.

Luckily the transactions didn't add up to a massive amount, but still I am angry that my money was stolen. I will just make sure to go through my bank statements thorougly as soon as I get them and if anything happens again I will be able to notify Barclays well within 120 days.

Thank you for your replies

Given what you have said it will sound quite bad that I cannot remember the last time I checked my bank statements. The last time I did often with reasonably current statements was perhaps 2007.

I know approximately what there is in each - and if there was a large difference I would check. Its kept quite simple as I have no SOs now or DDs other than Paypal, and have not written a cheque in ten years.

To save wasting paper - the account I use most is set to send out a statement once a year.

So if a bank is happy to send out a statement each year - then it seems a little suspicious to have a four month deadline for policing theft.

Hi MissSigh,

If you know for sure that no one who you know (family or friend) could have made the purchases, you must get the card replaced as your security has been compromised.

Even if Barclays Fraud Dep't won't investigate with a view to a refund, they must recognise that the card security may have been compromised.

:-)

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Given what you have said it will sound quite bad that I cannot remember the last time I checked my bank statements. The last time I did often with reasonably current statements was perhaps 2007.

I know approximately what there is in each - and if there was a large difference I would check. Its kept quite simple as I have no SOs now or DDs other than Paypal, and have not written a cheque in ten years.

To save wasting paper - the account I use most is set to send out a statement once a year.

I've never been one to check every single transaction on my statements, I would skim through them. Most of the time like yourself I would just check the in, out and end balance and knew roughly what should be there and probably the only time I would have got suspicious if it was different by a large amount.

At first I did see the itunes transactions but because I have an itune account myself I just assumed it was from one of my purchases. Then when I looked through my statements thorougly I saw 2 itunes transactions in a specific month that I knew I hadn't bought anything from itunes. I then looked through my other statements and found the other 2 and when I saw one for £20.97 I knew for sure it wasn't a transaction of my own, I would never spend that on itunes, the most I have ever spent on one thing from itunes was £1.49. I have had my itunes account for about a year now and up until today I have spent £5.74 on apps for my iPhone and a couple of songs. I still have all of the receipts for my itunes purchases. Since finding the unauthorised itunes transactions I panicked and removed my debit card from my itunes account and haven't bought a thing since (initially I thought someone hacked my itunes account but that wasn't the case).

if a bank is happy to send out a statement each year - then it seems a little suspicious to have a four month deadline for policing theft.

You make a good point, but I am thinking Barclays are saying that Visa have the 120 day policy so then I would think they wouldn't it as a problem for the bank itself :???: I am really not sure how it all works

Hi MissSigh,

If you know for sure that no one who you know (family or friend) could have made the purchases, you must get the card replaced as your security has been compromised.

Even if Barclays Fraud Dep't won't investigate with a view to a refund, they must recognise that the card security may have been compromised.

Hi slick132, I would have to say that it wasn't a family or friend. I will definitely get the card replaced. I should have done so already but needing it most days I couldn't be without it for a few days but realise the security of my account is much more important

Hi MissSigh,

I was thinking about this again and I don't think the bank's 120 day rule is right.

See here on the FSA,'s site - http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/product_news/banking/know_your_rights/solving/index.shtml

Have a read. From what I see, the bank should refund and investigate as the matter is less than 13 months old.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi MissSigh,

I was thinking about this again and I don't think the bank's 120 day rule is right.

See here on the FSA,'s site - http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/product_news/banking/know_your_rights/solving/index.shtml

Have a read. From what I see, the bank should refund and investigate as the matter is less than 13 months old.

Oh wow thanks so much for finding this slick132! So if I were to write back to Barclays about their decision not to help me (because of the 120 days) then I would state what's written on the FSA site? sorry but I really don't know about writing these sorts of letters when questioning a places decision.

Hi MissSigh,

You could write to Barclays using the address from which they wrote to you saying you had contacted them too late :-

Dear sir or madam,

Unauthorised debits to my a/c no. xxxxxxxx

I refer to your letter of xxdate which says you cannot investigate fraudulent transactions on my account because they were more than 120 days old when i noticed them.

I enclose a list of the dates and amounts of the disputed transactions. I appreciate the transactions are relatively small but I am obviously concerned that the security of my account has been compromised.

I am aware of the FSA Guidance which states that disputed fraudulent transactions should be refunded to the customer without waiting for the results of an investigation.

The Guidance also says banks cannot investigate disputed amounts over 13 months old.

I therefore assume that you should investigate my complaint about fraud on my account that is less than 13 months ago.

I look forward to your positive response.

Yours faithfully,

Hi MissSigh,

You could write to Barclays using the address from which they wrote to you saying you had contacted them too late :-

Dear sir or madam,

Unauthorised debits to my a/c no. xxxxxxxx

I refer to your letter of xxdate which says you cannot investigate fraudulent transactions on my account because they were more than 120 days old when i noticed them.

I enclose a list of the dates and amounts of the disputed transactions. I appreciate the transactions are relatively small but I am obviously concerned that the security of my account has been compromised.

I am aware of the FSA Guidance which states that disputed fraudulent transactions should be refunded to the customer without waiting for the results of an investigation.

The Guidance also says banks cannot investigate disputed amounts over 13 months old.

I therefore assume that you should investigate my complaint about fraud on my account that is less than 13 months ago.

I look forward to your positive response.

Yours faithfully,

Brilliant! thanks so much for your help slick132

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this thread. I received another letter from Barclays about my complaints before I sent off the final letter about the FSA Guidance. They reminded me I wasn't able to get the money back because of being over 120 days but went on to say as a gesture of goodwill they will refund me the money for the unauthorised transactions. So that's a result and I'm really glad.

Hi MissSigh and thanks for the update.

Whether it's a Goodwill Gesture or not, it's the refund you wanted so that's a RESULT :whoo:

I'm pleased this is now resolved !

:wink: