Dead Pixel on LG Plasma

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a 42” LG plasma package for £1500 from Dixons in Nov 2005 which now has a dead pixel. The pixel is instantly noticeable and distracts me from whatever programme I am watching.

LG and Dixons say 1 dead pixel is not covered under the warranty.

LG arranged for my television to be taken away for repair on the 18th April. The TV was away for 10 days and returned in the same condition. Why take it away knowing that the problem I described is not covered by their warranty.

Does anyone have any alternative advice other than “putting up with it” as what Dixons and LG have told me to do.

Hi,

What does your warranty information say?

If the information shown is adverse, you could start by leaving the tv on full brightness 24 hours a day... let the pixels burn then take it back.. Sorry but that is as constructive as it gets if the warranty allows for a few...

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Guest Lueeze

Try consumer advice, who work on behalf of Trading Standards...

08454 040506.

the dead pixel thing is weird.

for home use some dead pixels are acceptable.

only military and hospital use cannot have any dead pixels and would be entitled to a new screen

this was taken from a forum, which quote the ISO applicable to dead pixels:

To regulate the acceptability of defects and to protect the end user, ISO have created a standard for manufacturers to follow. ISO 13406-2 recommends how many defaults are acceptable in a display before it should be replaced, within the terms & conditions of warranty.

All reputable manufacturers conform to and support the ISO 13406-2 standard.

The table below shows the allowable number of malfunctioning pixels that are acceptable, depending on the native resolution of the LCD and allowing for 2 malfunctioning pixels per million pixels.

Native resolution No. of pixels No. of million pixels Acceptable defects

1024 x 768 786,432 0.8 2

1280 x 1024 1,310,720 1.3 3

1600 x 1200 1,920,200 1.9 4

2048 x 1536 3,145,728 3.1 6

The table below shows the allowable number of malfunctioning sub-pixels that are acceptable, depending on the native resolution of the LCD and allowing for 5 malfunctioning sub-pixels per million pixels.

1024 x768 786,432 0.8 4

1280 x 1024 1,310,720 1.3 7

1600 x 1200 1,920,200 1.9 10

2048 x 1536 3,145,728 3.1 16

The table below shows the allowable number of malfunctioning sub-pixels that are acceptable within a 5 x 5 block of pixels, depending on the native resolution and allowing for 2 malfunctioning sub-pixels within a 5 x 5 block, per million pixels.

1024 x 768 786,432 0.8 2

1280 x 1024 1,310,720 1.3 3

1600 x 1200 1,920,200 1.9 4

2048 x 1536 3,145,728 3.1 6

The above is relevant to Class II LCD panels.

A link can also be found here: http://www.aria.co.uk/tft-dead-pixel-info.asp

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements

Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

I notice that for an extra fee some retailers will check for dead pixels. However, I wouldn't buy from such a place unless you do want to pay extra for the check as you'll most likely end up with one that was previously checked and found to have dead pixels.

A good way to guarantee no dead pixels is to buy from online retailer. That way if you discover dead pixels you can return it for a full refund under the distant selling regs.

That's a great tip, although it wouldn't have helped the OP in this case as he purchased 6-7 months ago. To be honest I would always buy this sort of product online though, you will almost certanily get it cheaper too.

A credit card purchase may well mean you can claim from the credit card company too, but it would have to be proven that 1 dead pixel could be classed as a fault which could prove tricky if scotia's post is anything to go by.

Personally I wouldn't buy one of these yet, I've heard dozens of similar stories and even read a general review of plasma sets which stated that "one or two dead pixels can often be expected even on a new set".

Hope you get it sorted, it would annoy the hell out of me.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

You have to beat the 'magic number'

It's like the Sony psp, any less than 7 dead pixels and they won't replace (unless they're all right in the centre of the screen)

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

It is more than annoying when something goes wrong so soon after purchase.

Especially when it is quite an expensive item. and even worse when the warranty

doesn't cover it.

However all may not be lost.Over and above the company warranty you still have your statutory rights which Lueeze

alluded to in her post about Trading Standards. I think the expression is that a

product has to be of "merchantable quality". And for a £1500 product to have

developed a fault already would suggest that your plasma screen is not mq.

Trading Standards would advise. Good Luck.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks