• Tweets

• Ok, so just been to see my friend, she still has her head firmly in the sand and had a pile of unopened post, thankfully nothing serious apart from this case!    In answer to your question it says N24 General Directions Order at the bottom of the page, then on page 2 where the line says "As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) " this is N271 Notice of transfer of proceedings.  Within the stack of letters I found 2 from Kearns Solicitors,    02-12-2022 Document pack with covering letter stating under the s78 CCA please see enclosed  1) A copy of the executed Credit Agreement, 2)  A copy of the terms & conditions 3) A copy of the varied terms & conditions applicable at termination / assignment, and  4) A statement regarding the conduct of your account as requested by s78(1)(a) to (c)  (Would you like me to describe the documents attached?)   18-02-2023 Generic letter asking for her to contact them to discuss settlement or they will take to court for further legal action. 
    • well you made the cardinal sin by phoning these scammers at least once so their persistence could go on. however you are new so there you go. you never ever ever phone any of these likes of scammers on these fake schemes that seem plausible.  just like a DCA chasing any old debt .. they are NOT BAILIFFS and have  ZERO legal powers to actually do anything. dx  
    • Okay understood now just based on personal experience how long does this go on for 
    • civil recovery schemes run by the likes of RLP DWF etc etc are a scam. totally IGNORE EVERYTHING. no if's or but's dx  
    • I’m 17 years old and Received 2 letters from dwf with my name spelt wrong and they are asking for for £230.40. I rang dwf civil recovery the first time upon taking advice from citizens advice to explain to delay to deadline as I was in the process of receiving advice which wasn’t much help. When that deadline was done I then called again to delay the deadline as I’m struggling financially and it’s lot of money they are asking for and I tried to dispute the cost to which they said okay we will delay it another 7 days for you to dispute the cost but I asked them how do I dispute this to you or Sainsbury’s and they said “we can’t advise you on this matter” I’ve read a lot of threads saying to ignore them but I was unsure now as I’ve made contact and have tried to dispute the payment and pay it which might mean I have admitted. Would they just persist harder and take me to court eventually or file for a ccj.   I would like to ignore them still but I would like to send a strong email so they know I’m clued up and then ignore them. I also want to pay the reasonable amount and get this matter solved. any advice on the law or similar situations are helpful when I called them I asked for an itemised bill. £101 stolen goods  ( supposedly caught me because they watched me on cctv over the duration of the week) also why did they not stop me in the first day. £20.40 recovered goods £150 security costs     Thank you 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can't get payouts, doesn't it stand to reason that banks shouldn't collect "penalties" during this period either?

don't think so. They'll carry in charging .....

as always, the consumer gets kicked ....

Are you sure about that? I've just read in another thread that any bank can apply for the waiver?? I'm so confused

HFC Bank - First letter claiming £196/LBA sent/£75 offered/rejected/Claim filed

HFC Bank Take 2 - Statements received

A & L - Prelim sent/LBA sent

Barclays (for my Dad) - Awaiting statements/LBA for S.A.R. sent/Statements received/Prelim sent/LBA sent

A & L (for my Son) - Awaiting statements/Statements arrived Prelim letter sent/£280 offered and rejected

Abbey (for my Sister) - ***Won***

Barclays PPI claim

Studio - ***Won***

HSBC - (for my brother-in-law) ***Won*** 8-)

What worries me is that the Consumer will have NO say in the proceedings.

I smell a rat!!!!

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

I am asking this question in particularly for my friend, but also for all the other people who are claiming against these banks.

Does anybody know what will happen now.

Will all the people who recently have received offers from the banks be paid.?

Will everybody who has agreed to settle in the courts be paid?

Will people awaiting a court date be paid?

At what stage will the claims be stayed pending the outcome?

This must be a very worrying time for everyone, and I am sure everyone would appreciate answers from the excellent people on here.

Although the announcment is good news, There must be lots of people waiting for there money that this announcment will affect badly.

Thank You

These are the banks that can request a waiver -

Abbey National plc

Barclays Bank plc

Clydesdale Bank plc

HBOS plc

HSBC Bank plc

Lloyds TSB Bank plc

Nationwide Building Society

Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc

Data Protection Act request sent 03/08/06

Statements received 08/09/06

Prelim letter sent 12/10/06

Letter before action 27/01/07

the bank have actually made me an offer which i accepted and sent back recorded delivery today, since then the news of the test case has come about and all claims will be suspended, does this mean mine will be suspended or still go through as the offer had been made?

I Know you could see the anger in his eyes but she kept avoiding the questions didn't she, I didnt catch all of it my partner raced to turn it on for me to see it, But all bank charge claims have been suspended as from tomorrow until oft & the other one have decided on what is fair for the consumer???:-x

How so?

All current cases are based on the common law, and also the unfair terms in contracts law.

However, for debts regulated under the CCA 2006, a new series of law - the unfair relationships test - has been introduced. This will take effect onj existing open credit agreements next year. The basis of the unfair relationships test is very much wider than the basis of the unfair terms in contracts, because it covers everything done or not done by the creditor.

the unfair terms in contract law covers only non-core terms, and has a higher benchmark as far as what is unfair.

Martin Lewis was present to respond to the woman who was present from the banking ombudsman.

Interestingly, he said that unless the banks refunded all penalty charges automatically as a result of this case then the OFT and FSA may have helped the banks in halting all claims until the test case is over.

FSA has introduced a waiver... meaning, FSA handled complaints will not be dealt with until after the test case.

Court claims WILL be dealt with, but they can apply for the court to stay proceedings while high court deals with it.

so, in effect, all cases are put into hold. however, if the banks lose they would be required by the FSA to introduce a compensation scheme for semi-automatic compensation.

Wonder if this works the other way- if they are taking legal action against someone when the debt includes a stack of unlawful charges?

It would really pee on the debt collector's collective bonfire if this could be used to force them to hang fire until after the test case....

Yes, it does. They MIGHT be able to get away with partial claims, however (i.e. claims without the penalty charges).

ADVICE TIME: BECAUSE OF THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS, IT IS STILL IMPORTANT TO LAUCH CLAIMS FOR CHARGES THROUGH THE COURT SYSTEM, SINCE ANY CHARGES MADE 4-6 YEARS AGO WILL NOT BE RECOVERED UNLESS YOU START THE ACTION

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

so does that mean we are stuck now til the decision is made? I'm kicking myself now because I sent my LBA back in January but have sent another one today to give them another 14 days. Guess I don't need to now :(

Data Protection Act request sent 03/08/06

Statements received 08/09/06

Prelim letter sent 12/10/06

Letter before action 27/01/07

Malagar - Hi,

Confussed

I am in PANIC mode right now - I cannot find - where is the 'Courts Decide' - please guide me.

Oh jeeez - my claim was going to pay for a Harley Davidson ULTRA Electroglide - my it seems I am back to a moped

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

Before I spend hours reading all the news articles, what does anyone think will happen to retrospective charges if the OFT manage to prove it costs £0.025 to bounce a cheque. Will the banks be duty bound to refund everyone whether they have reclaimed or not I wonder?

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Not sure greendykes, but thats the way I read it as well. But my guess is that the Banks will ask for all claims to be placed on hold till a decision is made by the High Court.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

What I want to know is this.

The Test case is for Unauthorised Overdraft fees, right?

I have a case with Halifax, they name their fees on the statments as 'Charges as Notified'.

These can be a mixture of OD fees and bounced DD fees.

As bounced DD fees are not the subject of the Test Case, could I not request Halifax send me details of how each @Charges as Notified' entry on my statements is made up, i.e. either DD return fee, or Unauth OD fee?

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

Has anyone read this?!

The Office of Fair Trading: Questions and answers for OFT test case announcement 26 July 2007

Point 11 is particularly interesting. Unless I'm reading it wrongly, it says that the OFT and banks have agreed to suspend any claims made to them pending the result of this test case.

That's to say, if you write to your bank or the OFT asking for your charges to be refunded, your claim will be put on hold.

If, however, you're at the court stage, the OFT press release is quite clear: "It will be for the courts to decide (how to proceed) in relation to claims made to them."

That's to say, it isn't necessarily the case that any claims already at the court stage will be suspended - though, I guess, the banks won't hesitate to apply for stays on this basis.

What do others reckon?!

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

Quote:

Originally Posted by noomill060 viewpost.gif

Wonder if this works the other way- if they are taking legal action against someone when the debt includes a stack of unlawful charges?

It would really pee on the debt collector's collective bonfire if this could be used to force them to hang fire until after the test case....

Yes, it does. They MIGHT be able to get away with partial claims, however (i.e. claims without the penalty charges).

Agreed, but then they would have to admit that the original debt included unlawful charges and interest.

Are you sure about that? I've just read in another thread that any bank can apply for the waiver?? I'm so confused

I am worried and confused now.

The received the "General Form of Judgement or Order" as detailed below and have provided the information as requested by the Judge. I also provided to SCM full details of each charge and how worked out my interest etc as they requested it in a letter several weeks ago. I spoke to the court manager on the 23/7/07 who said Lloyds have failed to file at court a counter scedule and also they have not served anything on me. I even checked again on Tuesday with the court manager who said they definately not received anything.She told me to write to the judge asking for judgement which will be placed in my file that the file which will be given to the judge to look at next week who will then decide what happens next.She told me that in her experience if the defendant does not enter a counter claim by the deadline the judge will rule in the claiments favour. She also told me that because i their court dispensed with the Allocation questionare the bank will not be entitled to a stay of judgement.

I can almost taste the money but will this news today scupper that or as Lloyds failed to meet the deadline imposed by the Judge and it is so far down the line i can breath a sign of relief?

Surely my claim has gone too far and Lloyds cannot ask for anymore time etc???

Reading what Malaga1 wrote above "But the banks will be granted a waiver so they do not have to answer to any more complaints now" i guess this all might relate to any new claims just starting.

It reads as follows: Before District Judge Smith sitting at Grantham County Court, Harlaxton Road, Grantham Linc's

Upon reading the documents on file IT IS ORDERED THAT

1) The claiment do by 4:00pm on 9th July 2007 file at Court and serve on the defendant a scedule particularising each and every charge complained of together with the interest calculation.

2) The defendant do by 4.00pm 0n 23rd July 2007 file at Court and serve on the claimant a counter scedule in answer.

After compliance the District Judge will consider further.

Because this order has been made by the court without considering representations from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the court to arrive within 7 days of the date of service.

I wonder what will happen to people who have won but haven't got they're money yet. My son is just waiting for his decree to come through. He has actually won at court so I wonder if he will get his money.

I wonder also what will happen to people again like my son who is being threatened with a default on his account because he is overdrawn.

Eileen