Bailiffs removing car - non payment Council Tax?!?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me by offering me some advice. Our council tax debt has been passed to Bristow and Sutor. The council have refused to take the debt back, saying it is out of their hands now. Bristow & Sutor wanted us to pay our debt over 3 months max which we couldnt do, and despite paying what we could afford, they are still saying its not good enough and will take our things. We havent let them in the house to avoid them seizing our goods, but forgot about the car and they have obviously noticed it on the drive recently. We have just had a letter (an inventory I think) with our car details on and they have said that if we dont pay the full amount now that they will take the car this week. What I want to know is if I can do anything to avoid this as the council wont take the debt back and B&S arent budging on the payments. As we havent signed a Walking Possession Order or anything, could we move the vehicle permanently so they cant take it, or could they take us to court for this? I didnt know whether it matters that we havent signed a WPO or whether the fact they have listed our car on the inventory means that we are unable to move it?

I am desperate to do anything to avoid losing the car, and I could move it to somewhere private until this is all sorted and paid up. Also, as we cant currently afford to drive the car, they wouldnt see it on the road or anything so it could stay well hidden. The main reason I dont want them to get it is that it is worthless at auction, yet I know it is reliable and will need a car again as soon as I cant afford to run it, and cant afford to buy a new one and especially after I will get less than 100 pounds for my car at auction (I'll probably be charged more than that in fees to sell it and have a car take it, so its pointless). Obviously I dont want to get into any more trouble, so I would ideally like to move it legally, but I'm just so desperate to avoid them taking my car. Also, I thought that if they cant get our car and have no access to our property inside our house, they might refer the debt back to the council. In which case, I might be able to negotiate better with the council (but only if I can force B&S to refer it back as council wont ask for it back).

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Please note however that B&S are threatening to take the car this week, so I need to know asap what I can do, or what you would advise me to do!

Many Thanks in advance, x

have a read here this may help you can download this form N245 this may stop the bailiff doing anything, but its worth filling out and sending off, it may be too late to do this but its worth giving any thing a shot. Ive been told that if the car isnt worth the price of the debt then they often wont take it, especially if its not road worthy

Hi,

No, were not on any benefits....just low wages and have a mortgage so cant afford the repayments they want.

Can I just move the vehicle? This would obviously stop them taking it but I dont want to get in additional trouble. I just cant afford to let them take it as I need a car for uni in September as the uni is 30 miles away(im currently working locally so manage without a car) and I wont be able to afford to buy another for uni if they take it.

Any other advice would be gratefully received!!