• Tweets

• Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
    • So should I send them a new SAR and put my date of birth on it? Or do I need to send them some proof? Driving license? 
    • Thanks so much for your help!! I've emailed them, and when they reply saying they can't do it I'll reply and state my rights. I'm so glad I found this forum, and will read all of the posts I can find and help guides available for the future. Really can't thank you enough.
    • utter BS, doesn't matter you signed it. pers i'd be writing as per the other threads here rejecting the car as not as described under CRA etc and be done with it. as its a debit card you could also do a full chargeback within 120 days to your bank and simply dump the car back to BMW. 100's of like threads to read here. get your ducks inline. make sure you know what you are doing and off you go. dont take any BS from BMW, no matter what you sign it does NOT remove your consumer rights. p'haps it might be on the off chance you are a good manager , a quick phonecall tomorrow saying you dont want it because (no bla bla fitted) it might be resolved in 5 mins..i will guess to date you not tried
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I'm going the Financial Ombudsman route

flowerofsarum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The story so far ...

I am claiming on behalf of my daughter, who now lives in Spain. She is using my address as her service address (similar to Amber Ellie's case).

After supplying a list of charges, Lloyds haven't bothered to reply to any correspondence from us, especially a recorded LBA sent on 31st May (which, btw, hasn't yet been signed for, according to Royal Mail).

Because of the backlogs in court, claim registration fee etc, I have registered our case with the FO, posted the complaint form to my daughter for her signature, and will proceed when I receive it.

Have read many for-and-against threads re the FO, it will be interesting to see how speedily they react, and if they're any quicker than the courts. I found their adviser very helpful, they're reckoning on 2-3 months to get a final decision.

I am claiming for charges plus interest.

Gracias a la vida - Thanks to life

If the LBA hasn't been signed for, then you've no proof it was received. I would advise that you send another LBA.

Did your Letter Before Action state that you would be taking them to court? If so, why the change of mind?

Which interest are you claiming? The interest they charged you on the penalty charges? You can't claim section 69 interest without raising a court claim.

[

Thx vampiress, all advice is gratefully received, I don't want to make any mistakes!

I changed my mind, as quite frankly I don't have the £120 court filing charges at the moment. Also I find the court process quite daunting, especially when acting on someone else's behalf.

I used the interest calculator on the MSE website, not quite sure if that is admissable then. Please advise.

Royal Mail says I have to wait til Tuesday before sending off another letter, I have it all ready and prepared! By the time the second one is recorded I should have received my daughter's signed FO complaint form.

Thanks again for taking an interest, it was much easier last year when I claimed via MCOL and won against The Cooperative Bank, without the case even coming to court. :cool:

I used the interest calculator on the MSE website, not quite sure if that is admissable then. Please advise.

You can't claim section 69 interest without raising a court claim.

If you want more advice on interest please read the full guide in my Chambers. I've spent a lot of time detailing it.

May I ask why your daughter can't do this herself?

[

Thanks, will read guide.

My daughter has lived in Spain for the past 2 years, she's a new mum and also doesn't have the spare £120.

She is using my address as her service address, and as I have already been down the claim route, I am helping her with hers. Telephone calls from Spain can get very expensive, especially when you are so often put on hold. Thank goodness for Skype, I keep her informed and always get her opinion.

Also, the delay in sending letters from Spain, especially as so many of them are date-sensitive.

I have been following amber ellie's thread, getting lots of advice, as her case is quite similar.

Ah, now I've gottit!

Phew, looks like I need to do some more homework. Perhaps the fact that Lloyds hasn't received the LBA is a blessing in disguise! Everything happens for a reason.

Will amend the new letter accordingly.

I thought you might be interested to know what happeded to me as I used the Ombudsman.

After barclaycard had only offered a small percentage of what I was requesting I had turned this offer down and decided to use the FO service again like you I didn't have the funds to go to court.

I sent my complaint off to the Financial Ombudsman and they acknowledge this on the 6 June 2007 and said it will be passed to an administrator and they will let me know when this happens. I had also sent a letter to barclaycard letting them know I had done this on the 4 June 2007.

I was expecting a long drawn out process but yesterday 14 June 2007 I recieved a letter from Barclaycard acknowledging that the FO service had been informed and that they have decided to offer the full amount including interest. Not sure if the FO have contacted Barclaycard or not as it seems to soon. Anyway I very please of the out come.

I was expecting a long drawn out process but yesterday 14 June 2007 I recieved a letter from Barclaycard acknowledging that the FO service had been informed and that they have decided to offer the full amount including interest. Not sure if the FO have contacted Barclaycard or not as it seems to soon. Anyway I very please of the out come.

Thank you, that is very encouraging news. Well done.

There are so many pros and cons on these threads re the FO, and it's good to hear something positive.

Thanks for the good wishes vampiress. Will keep posting as things develop.

Filled in the complaint form downloaded from the FO site, and sent off on Monday.

This morning received acknowledgment from them ...

"Thank you for contacting us.

I am now passing this complaint to our casework administration area to await allocation to an investigation team ...

... One of my colleagues will write to you as soon as possible to keep you informed of how the complaint is progressing. ..."

So, the wheels are in motion. I couldn't take the stress of the Courts route, I admire you guys for doing it, good luck to you all. :)

That sounds just like the letter I received from the FOS. From the 7th day of receiving that letter I received a letter from Barclaycard offering full payment which I have accepted. I had a telephone call from the FOS to find out if I had received their offer which I had and they said this is one of the quickest reponses they have had, unfortunately I do not know the reason why. Although this is a happy ending I have since received a letter from Barclarycard stating they are going to reduce my credit limit. Thats life!

Good news that they settled your claim Lizzy40.

If the outcome of my daughter's case is as positive, perhaps more people will be encouraged to by-pass the courts.

It would be interesting to know on what grounds they refunded your money? i.e. was it a "goodwill gesture"? If so, as Martin Lewis says, why would they limit your credit if they're so full of this "goodwill"? :o

The letter didn't say anything about goodwill. Lets hope yours goes through smoothly. We don't need all this added pressure its very stressful, why don't they just refund the money in the first place getting the courts and the FOS involved seems such a waste of everybodies time and money. GOOD LUCK.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the usual £750 "take-it-or-leave-it" fob-off letter today.

Phoned my daughter in Spain, she told them to stick it. Sent rejection letter. It's already in the hands of the Ombudsman, so don't know why Lloyds even bothered to make the offer.

Still rubbing hands in glee, after the Hull victories!! :) Well done to all concerned.

flowerofsarum,

I'll think you'll find that the £750 will be credited to your daughter bank account.

You can take it as an interim and send off one of the partial settlement rejection letters from the template library.

Keep us posted with the FOS complaint.

MadMaxCTR:cool:

Settled:

Lloyds TSB - SETTLED IN FULL £2094

MBNA/Abbey Credit Card - SETTLED IN FULL - £460

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card - SETTLED IN FULL - £50

Ongoing:

3 credit cards,

EGG - £220 - With FOS

MINT - £20 - With FOS

Captial One - £340 - With FOS

She hasn't checked her account yet. But it's nice to know the FO are fighting her corner, received the followed letter from the FO this morning:-

"...The bank have told (daughter) that - in it's view - the charges it has made to their account were levied fairly in accordance with its tariff. It does not appear to have made an offer that fully meets what you have asked for. I have therefore written to the bank to invite it to:

• make an offer which meets (daughter's) claim in full; or
  • provide me with the information I believe I shall need to reach a conclusion on the merits of (daughter's) claim.

"As you may know, in almost all the charges complaints we have considered, banks have made offers to meet the claim ... I will let you know as soon as Lloyds TSB Bank Plc tells me whether it is prepared to settle (daughter's) claim ..."

On the whole, I think this is the more stress-free way to go, hopefully with the same outcome as through the courts. Good luck to all who are claiming, life is looking good!

Hello again, It will be interesting to see what they say after the FOS send there responce. It is taking a little longer then mine using the FOS but your fingure is higher then what I was asking for. I feel optimistic that you will receive the amount you are requesting but wouldn't it be nice to have some inside information to why some financial companies pay out quicker then others. May be it is the amount in question who knows! And yes using the fOS is less stressful.Good luck and keep us posted...

Hi,

This makes very interesting reading. I originally started looking into claiming sometime ago, but we can rarely afford the court charges. We've just started the procedure again and LBA is in my hand to go today, we have money to go court route this time (claim is £3k+) but it's going to hurt us.

How do I go about making a claim through the FO instead? Any links to info gratefuly received.

And good luck with your case. :)