Accepted partial offer, need wording for letter to continue claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post to this site having just registered. I think the explosion in the number of us claiming charges back has resulted in an avalanche of misinformation being posted on sites. I need some clarification on my situation.

I claimed £5345 from Halifax, they offered just over £3000 which has been deposited in my accounts. I want to continue the claim for the remainder plus interest.

I rang them to see if we could settle to be told that it was a "full and final settlement", when I replied that that's what I expected them to say the lady I was speaking to got a little upset. She also said that if I continued with the claim they would contest it. Again you'd expect them to say that too.

I know what she said is nonsense and particularly as I haven't signed anything I can carry on and get the remainder.

What I need is some guidance on the wording of the letter. I have searched this forum and other sites and I can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

All you need to do is let them know that your claim has not been settled to your satisfaction. Their deposit of £3,000 is meaningless, and the "full and final settlement" aspect has no bearing on your claim - they have no right to dictate this condition without your consent.

Let them know that you will be continuing with your claim for the remainder, although in the court you will make the judge aware of the part-settlement deposited in your account without your knowledge or consent.

They can, howver, prevent a hearing, by settling, IN FULL, before any such hearing, and once done, and after the funds have cleared, you will notify the courts that the claim has been settled and therefore withdrawn.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Fallingleaves,

All the information you need should be here :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

If it's not what you need, please get back to us.

This is what I sent to Barclays :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-413931.html

Lex

Barclays do pay http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/42260-alex-barclays.html

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you very much for the above replies, let me clarify the situation.

The offer was made to me by letter and I have accepted it. The money was placed in my accounts a couple of weeks ago. I was not required to sing anything merely to allow the money to be deposited if I wanted to accept it.

My question is specifically about the wording for the letter I need to send them explaining that while I have accepted their partial offer I fully intend to claim for the remainder plus interest.

Hi,

As I understand it, you can not claim the 8% interest until you file at court, but I stand to be corrected !!!

I feel that this letter, changed to suit your own situation should cover you:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-530958.html

Let us know what you think !!

BTW, Do you have a thread here, or anywhere else on your claim, so we can see what you have already sent in the way of S.A.R and repayment requests ?

Lex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

OK,

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) This would be the letter you would send to retrieve your back statements from the bank, or did you already have then ?

Then you sent your request for repayment, obviously.

They have made a offer, and placed the funds in your account. The refund is less than you are prepared to accept. (but it's a start;) )

So now you need to send them the letter I posted above,(http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-530958.html ) putting in own your details. You give them 14 days to reply/repay after that , then it's time to file at court. We can give you all the links you need to help you though the court process.

Good luck and let's know what happens.

Lex

&

Thanks again, I have edited the letter down to what I think I need. I don't want to give them the opportunity to take the money back that they've already deposited.

Here's what I've come up with, I'd appreciate your comments :-

Response to settlement offer.

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated 1st May 2007.

Would you please note that I have accepted the sum of £3024 without prejudice as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

I respectfully request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £5345.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

I'm not sure whether to give them 7 or 14 days before I threaten them with a claim. What do you think?

You dont have to give them any extra time from a rejection letter.

Carry on with your time scales.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I feel that as this is going to be your 'Letter before Action' it may be best to give them 14 days before you file a claim. At least that way you are staying on the right side of the law. I'm I right that you have not yet submitted a L.B.A. ?

The rest of the letter looks fine.

Lex

&

Yes OK, I agree with that. I would recomend that you use the N1 court papers for your claim, they give you more room to get all the details in.

See here :- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/844-n1-claims-form-pdf.html

Lex

&

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the letter I've drafted taking into account the advice offered above. I would appreciate some feedback before it's sent.

Thank you for your letter dated 1st May 2007.

Would you please note that I have accepted the sum of £3024 without prejudice as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

I respectfully request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £5345 minus the above sum which leaves a remainder of £2321.

I feel that 7 days from the date at the top of this letter is a fair amount of time before taking action through the county court process to reclaim the above amount plus 8% interest and my costs.

I trust this clarifies my position.

What does everyone think?

Just wondering why you arnt sending one from the templates?

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Because despite searching various websites and forums I can't find a template for a straightforward partial offer acceptance that doesn't involve conditions and other elements which are not relevant to my case.

I have adapted my letter from a template on this site but had to chop quite a bit out because it wasn't applicable to my situation.

Ok, fair enough. :D

Yes the letter looks fine.

F&Q's... Read here