Taking Action From Overseas: Not Attending Court

Bouffont
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I'm spending some time living in New Zealand at the moment and I've just started steps to claim charges back from my bank.

If it gets to a court hearing are my chances massivley bought down if I don't attend. I thought about claiming a ticket price with the court action but that could be expensive if I loose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Bouffont,

I am in Bulgaria (Okay no where near as far away as New Zealand) but I am getting family to send letters special delivery from the UK and MCOL for registering court cases. So far I have been lucky and things have been settled after the 28 days from service with the court, but remember it is your money not theirs. As for claiming the cost of a ticket I would suggest that that would not be a good idea in small claims but might be possible through one of the other tracks. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :) )

Paul

I would give it a try. They have made you goto court and you have necessarily incurred the cost (if they don't settle until the day of the hearing - or the day before it).

Advice, information, data, opinions, etc of JustWon, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

If I don't respond please don't think I am ignoring you as, due to other commitments, I have little time to spend on the board.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

So it's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to go to court on this one.

I really don't want to have to do 24 hours of flying to find out they settle the day before and I have to do another 24 hours to get back!

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Can I have someone attend court in my absence, or attend via phone (I'd imagine not the phone option)?

Or should I just book a ticket, and claim the cost back through them, even if they settle the day before? The ticket would be about a thousand pounds probably, which is a significant portion of my claim!

Cheers

Tom

What makes you think you are likely to have to attend court? Most cases are being stayed at the moment. What exactly is your hearing for?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.