• Tweets

• Thanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe concenquences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points?
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
    • Been perusing the actual figures on the polls above wondering where the '16% claimed for deform comes from? I understand that there are 'weighted' end results based on secret calculations ...   Probably going to repeat this later, but remember that the ukip/brexit/reform/deform party has ALWAYS had poll speculation FAR better than their actual  performance at elections - by large margins. SO: The labor and Tory votes come largely from simply the people who say they will vote for them - sorted Lab 43% Tory 20%, with maybe another small 1-2% coming from the weightings of the 'not sures' Greens largely get what is declared from 'other' , although with another declared green bit from the 'pressed' question   So as the share of the voting displayed in 'other' granted to reform/deform is around 11%, where does the '16% too often being reported come from? Seems that reform has been granted as beneficiary of effectively ALL the don't knows and wont says, who when pressed didn't actually declare for someone else ... effectively adding 40%+ to their reported polling % - rather strange given their consistent under-performance compared to polling - or perhaps that is the cause of the higher rating eh?   Now I admit the possibility (probability?) of wingers being ashamed of declaring their support for the yuckey lemon end of the spectrum ... but surely  that should affect the 'Torys as well? Maybe the statisticians have simply weighted in that deform wingers are simply more likely to lie?   But - without 'weightings' and assumptions that faragits will get everything that isnt declared as a definite and unequivocal 'not that Piers Morgan' - reform is on around 11% it seems.   Add to that the history of polling a lot less than the hype - and the simple fact that faragit wingers seem to be spread across the country (presumably skulking in their moms spare room despite being 45+) and greens and lib dems seem to be community minded - I think two seats will be an epic result for farage. Hardly the opposition - far more raving wingnut party.   and importantly - Has farage got a home in clacton yet?
    • "as I have no tools available to merge documents, unless you can suggest any free ones that will perform offline merges without watermarking" (which you don't) ... but ok please upload the documents and we'll go from there
    • Please go back and read my message posted at 10:27 this morning @jk2054. I didn't say that I wasn't going to provide documents, only that I will upload them to an online repo that I am in control of, and that I would share links to these. You shall still be able to read and download them no different from if they were hosted here. And, the issue I have is not so much with hosting, but using an online pdf editor to create a multi-page pdf, again I have discussed this that same message.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Fred Bassett v Bank of Scotland/Blair Oliver Scott

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My agreement is pretty much the same, but with no mention of the CCA 1974 and with the confusion over what sort of account it is, I've told BOS that it's unenforceable and haven't heard from them since.

If it's a credit card, which even they say that it is, then you've been denied the protection of the CCA.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a close look at this Fred. This one of these curious hybrid accounts where they issue you with a keycard but give you an overdraft facility on it, which normally a keycard wouldn't have, nor is it a credit card, only a card you can use to have access to the account and overdraft. It has an overdraft limit, an interest rate and your signature so in my view is enforceable. I think you now have to ask them for statements so you can claw back charges and from the age of the account there are probably plenty of them.

I wrote, recorded delivery, to IQOR last week and asked them to confirm that this credit agreement was regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Today I got this:

IQORStrangeLetter.jpg

I find this a bit odd. I asked a very straightforward question which required a "yes" or "no" answer.

Any comments anyone?

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

After yesterday's letter from IQOR, I received a text message this morning -URGENT, contact IQOR over a CRITICAL business matter.

Now I can't see anything about this that I would consider to be critical. I wonder if there is something they don't want me to find out.

As a matter of interest, if this agreement is not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, then what would it be regulated by?

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

What ever BOS say, this account was a credit card, all be it an unusual format one.

What current account would send you monthly statements stating minimum payment needed & showing a due date?

I opened mine in 1994 or rather mine was opened by NWS bank as part of car finace. I'm farly certain that no agreement ever existed for this account.

My CCA request went in, in August.

What ever BOS say, this account was a credit card, all be it an unusual format one.

What current account would send you monthly statements stating minimum payment needed & showing a due date?

I opened mine in 1994 or rather mine was opened by NWS bank as part of car finace. I'm farly certain that no agreement ever existed for this account.

Jon, mine went off over a year ago but they still produced an agreement. It seems to have all of the usual terms and conditions but it is not headed "Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974" and I think that this makes it unenforceable. That's why I have asked IQOR to confirm that this is the case.

Regards.

Fred

It is not a current account, nor is it a credit card account - it is a keycard account with a credit limit. That possibly brings it into Section 77, which is why Iqor are getting upset.

Thanks Pinky. I'll have to wait and see what they say now. They've acknowledged my letter which was sent recorded delivery. My guess is that they want to try to get me to cave in before they've answered my question. No chance.

Regards.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I'll be very interested in what answer you get.

In case you haven't already read it elsewhere, check what type of account it's described as on your credit reference file. On mine, it's quite clearly described as a credit card, and Bank of Scotland also referred to it as a credit card in correspondence with the FOS.

If it is a credit card (or actually anything other than a straightforward current account) then of course it should be regulated by the CCA, but I'm not sure what effect it has if it isn't.

• Haha 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi Fred,

I'll be very interested in what answer you get.

In case you haven't already read it elsewhere, check what type of account it's described as on your credit reference file. On mine, it's quite clearly described as a credit card, and Bank of Scotland also referred to it as a credit card in correspondence with the FOS.

If it is a credit card (or actually anything other than a straightforward current account) then of course it should be regulated by the CCA, but I'm not sure what effect it has if it isn't.

RMW,

I didn't think of that. I've just checked it and it says that this is a credit card. That's excellent news because a) I am sure that the "agreement" should be headed with the words "Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974" and this might be unenforceable as a result. b) Even if it is enforceable, there will be a mountain of charges against it which I will be able to claim back - and rest assured that if I do I will apply their rate of interest.

Thanks - you've made my day!

Regards.

Fred

Well I can't get to the bottom of this.

I'm reasonably certain now that this is a credit card. So the questions are:

1. If it is a credit card, is it regulated by the consumer credit act 1974?
  2. If this is the case, should this not be apparent on the agreement?

The strange thing is that this card was essentially unsolicited - it came along with a loan which has since been paid off. The loan part of the agreement has a statement saying that it is regulated by the CCA, but the preference card doesn't.

I'm sure I've seen something on here about this wording having to appear, but now I can't find it. I've also looked at the Act itself to no avail so I am probably mistaken.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards.

Fred

Thanks Pinky - that's what I'm trying to find.

Regards.

Fred

Hi all, I spent about 45 minutes earlier creating this post only to find that it hasn't appeared. Sh*t. Here it is again.

This is very confusing for a number of reasons, so I'll start with the agreements that I have been sent by BOS. I only posted 2 pages earlier but now the other 2 have become relevant. As with a lot of these types of agreements, the preference card was included with a loan. Here's what I have been sent:

Page 1: Loan Agreement and Preference Card Agreement

Slide1-17.jpg

Page 2 Loan Agreement and Preference Card Agreement Ts & Cs

Slide2-15.jpg

Page 3 - Preference Card Agreement Only

Slide1-15.jpg

Page 4 Preference Card Agreement Ts & Cs

Slide2-14.jpg

Now I have been asking IQOR the question, "is this agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974". They have written back and said "Yes" and as you can see from the agreement in page 1 they have very helpfully highlighted the reference to the CCA.

The problem I have with this is that it is quite clear to me that although reference is made in both pages 1 & 2 to the CCA 1974, none of these references are in regard to the preference account - they relate to a loan which has long since been paid and about which there is no dispute.

I didn't sign the agreement for the preference card along with the loan - I did this later - this is what is on pages 3 & 4 and neither of these pages contains a reference to the CCA.

I can't work out why BOS have sent me paperwork for a loan which has long since been paid unless it was that this was the only thing they have which references the Consumer Credit Act.

Is this important? I haven't got a clue. IQOR have confirmed to me that this agreement is regulated by the CCA - their exact words were: "We have highlighted the confirmation that this is a Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for your convenience". Indeed they have, but as you can see, this relates to the loan, not the preference account.

This account is listed as a credit card in my credit file.

So where do I stand?

Is it covered by the CCA 1974 or not?

If it is not, why not?

Does it matter if it is not?

If it is, shouldn't this be made clear?

If it is and hasn't been made clear, does this matter?

I am a bit suspicious for 2 reasons. Firstly, they have been making the most dire threats and dozens of calls to try and pressurise me into making an agreement. I have resisted this and they have given me a stay of execution for 2 weeks as well as an apology. The other thing that I'm curious about is the fact that they sent me some copy statements. Nearly all of them highlighted the payment I was making when I was on a DMP, but the first of these contained £30 worth of charges and an item for £125 listed as “NO DESC FOUND” . Very odd. Naturally, I have now CCA'd BOS.

So many questions, I know. I really would appreciate some help with this one folks.

Regards.

Fred

Edited by Fred Bassett

Bump. Help!!!

Bump.

Hi, i've now got a copy of an agreement that might be enforceable, I'll post it on here later. However the terms and conditions are largely illegible and clearly come from different document.

Ie. The agreement says see over leaf, yet clearly the terms couldn't have been overleaf as they are differently proportioned. The bottom which I assume would have a date on has also been "smudged"/Hidden. (as per freds)

The agreement also appears to have had a tick added regarding repayment insurance, the tick is clearly different to the 4 others on it.

I'm certain that I wouldn't have requested repayment insurance.

Any thoughts on where to go next.

The agreement makes no mention of the consumer credit act 1974.

Hi, i've now got a copy of an agreement that might be enforceable, I'll post it on here later. However the terms and conditions are largely illegible and clearly come from different document.

Ie. The agreement says see over leaf, yet clearly the terms couldn't have been overleaf as they are differently proportioned. The bottom which I assume would have a date on has also been "smudged"/Hidden. (as per freds)

The agreement also appears to have had a tick added regarding repayment insurance, the tick is clearly different to the 4 others on it.

I'm certain that I wouldn't have requested repayment insurance.

Any thoughts on where to go next.

The agreement makes no mention of the consumer credit act 1974.

That's the bit I'm struggling with Jon - no mention of the CCA but they say it is regulated by it. I'm trying to work out if there is any significance of this.

Regards.

Fred

That's the bit I'm struggling with Jon - no mention of the CCA but they say it is regulated by it. I'm trying to work out if there is any significance of this.

Regards.

Fred

Fred,

I'm going to SAR HBOS to see what that brings out of the woodwork!

As Iqor have offered to accept 25% of this debt in full and final settlement, I really think that this account isn't enforceable possibly because of a flawed agreement.

Fred,

I'm going to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) HBOS to see what that brings out of the woodwork!

As Iqor have offered to accept 25% of this debt in full and final settlement, I really think that this account isn't enforceable possibly because of a flawed agreement.

Jon, I SARd BOS yesterday. I'm convinced this flawed but can't work out exactly why. I think the fact that it doesn't mention the CCA is the killer but I can't find anyone knowledgeable enough to confirm this.

Do you have your own thread on this one? If so I'll subscribe to see how you're getting on.

Regards.

Fred

• 1 month later...

Hi Fred, Anymore news? I asked Iqor whther they consider the agreement they sent me to be compliant with the CCA. They replied yes. So i've taken that as confirmation that this account is regulated by the CCA.

I must try and post the agreement on here.

I've written back telling them it's unenforceable, it's largely illegible and because the terms and conditions refered to clearly come from a different document. I've demanded another copy without the footnote (deliberately) smudged so that I can't read the date on it.

Also does any body know whether a credit agreement regulated by the CCA has to be titled/Headed as such.

Thanks Jon

And I've now been given the answer, which I'm posting on as many Preference account threads as I can find. Feel free to copy and paste if you know of any I've missed.

This is an extract from the 1983 regs:-

Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983

SCHEDULE 1

INFORMATION TO BE CONTAINED IN DOCUMENTS EMBODYING REGULATED CONSUMER CREDIT AGREEMENTS

TYPE OF AGREEMENT INFORMATION

(1) (2)

[Nature of agreement

1. All types (1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, a heading

in one of the following forms of words--

(a) "Hire Purchase Agreement regulated by the

Consumer Credit Act 1974";

(b) "Conditional Sale Agreement regulated by

the Consumer Credit Act 1974";

© "Fixed Sum Loan Agreement regulated by

the Consumer Credit Act 1974"; or

(d) "Credit Card Agreement regulated by the

Consumer Credit Act 1974",as the case may

require.

(2) If none of the headings in 1(a) to (d) above

are applicable a heading in the following form of

words--"Credit Agreement regulated by the

Consumer Credit Act 1974".

SCHEDULE 5

FORMS OF SIGNATURE BOX

Part I

Regulated Consumer Credit Agreements

FORM NO TYPE OF AGREEMENT FORM OF SIGNATURE BOX

(1) (2) (3)

6 Agreements not included in This is a Credit Agreement regulated by

paragraphs 1-5 or 7-8. the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms.

Signature(s)

of Debtor(s)

It seems preference account agreements are missing both of these items, however that does not render the account irredeemably unenforceable as they are not prescribed terms. The agreement could be enforced by order of the court, so I think it would be up to you to show how 'missing' these terms has prejudiced you. Hopefully, being sold a bank account that is in fact a credit card would be a start, as would putting the agreement on the same page as a loan without clearly showing that you didn't need to sign both. A hint to all, have a look at how the account is described on your credit reference file.

RMW

Jon, I SARd BOS yesterday. I'm convinced this flawed but can't work out exactly why. I think the fact that it doesn't mention the CCA is the killer but I can't find anyone knowledgeable enough to confirm this.

Do you have your own thread on this one? If so I'll subscribe to see how you're getting on.

Regards.

Fred

Have a read of this post http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/159970-bos-preference-card-agreement-2.html#post1786639

RMW