• Tweets

• It would be helpful if the entire final version appeared in one document . Also I am going to go back and delete the draft unamended versions in order to recover a bit of space  
    • Sure, although i'd like to think other people would read the thread to access the final version uploaded yesterday and recognise that there was feedback post-upload for only a new paragraph 47 to be added. Anyway, attached is the redacted updated final version of the WS / Court bundle with the new paragraph. Final WS and Court Bundle redacted.pdf
    • OK.  All of us here have made mistakes in legal dispute - the important thing is to learn from the mistakes and get it right the next time.  So for future reference - 1.  Not a good idea to ignore a Letter of Claim.  The PPCs are on the look out for people who don't reply, as they think there is a good chance that the person won't reply to the claim form either, gifting them an easy default win. 2.  Not a good idea to fail to send a CPR request.  As they usually don't reply this gives you a chance to wallop them in your WS for not producing the correct legal permissions. 3.  Not a good idea to play your cards so early in your defence.  They will know how you mean to defend and will prepare accordingly to rubbish your arguments. Anyway, spilt milk and all that ... So what arguments do you plan to put in your WS?  You can't say "a bloke told me I could park there" as your opponent will just ridicule you for believing a load of baloney and not bothering to read the car park signage. I see you have questioned their right to bring claims under their own name (defence point 1) which is a start - but unfortunately you can't show them up for refusing to show their contract with the landowner following a CPR request. Who is this mysterious owner of the car park then who gave the permission and can they be involved? Your arguments about POFA (4) will fail as you've outed yourself as being the driver in your defence (3). You question their signage (17, 20).  Good.  Have you got photos of the rubbish signage? I'm afraid you don't seem to have real defence arguments that will stand up in court. dx is right - let's see the original PCN and any correspondence with UKPC.  
    • Thank you HB, I’ll speak to them. 
    • You need to speak to the student welfare people. They aren't the people who decide if you stay or not, they should be there for students. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFC/Paragon/Restons

nino1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive had dealings with with restons initially on one unsecured loan that they put through the court process and got set as a charge on my house. they have now notified me that they are going to do the same with a second loan.

I tried to defend the first time and lost, now having come across your site is there any advice you can give me please?

I am looking at seeking full information about the charges that are on this account- should I ask of HFC or restons or both?

Where next, will the court be willing to put the date of hearing back based on my seeking further account details?

What is the hearing for is it for a CCJ or a charging order nisi. The process of getting a charging order (as you are probably aware) is CCJ, charging order nisi then charging order absolute.

If it is a CCJ you need to send them a CCA request. If they already have a CCJ you need to send them a SAR.

I would send the CCA request to the DCA (RESTONS) and send the SAR to the OC (HFC).

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

You can only defend a claim on the basis that you don't owe the money. If you get county court claim forms through and you admit that you owe the money you need to fill out the Admission form with an offer of payment ( there's a budget sheet to help ). If the creditor refuses the offer and asks for a 'forthwith' judgement ( ie you have to pay the full amount immediately ) it's up to the court to decide what is reasonable in the circumstances.

Even if you get a forthwith CCJ or a CCJ for instalments you can't pay you can apply to the court free of charge for something called a redetermination. The judgement will be looked at again.

You can apply for this via form N244 but it's usually better to simply send a letter as if an N244 is received with no fee it often causes confusion ( especially if the creditor has gone via Northampton county court bulk centre ).

Going this route you can try to avoid the possibility of defaulting on the CCJ ( ie by trying to get a CCJ you can afford ). It's when you default on a CCJ that the creditor can then apply for further enforcement such as a Charging Order.

If there have been any penalty charges included in a county court claim you could PARTLY defend the claim on this basis.

Hope this helps :)

Interestingly enough the most recent papers from Restons refer to a missed payment of a sum that I have no details of.

I had ongoing arrangements on both loans with the original companies, and they just transferred me to Restons. In between I moved address informed the companies but Restons continued to write to my old address I eventually got them to send letters to my new address but their actions certainly made it tough for me to keep up to speed with what they have been doing through the good old bulk centre at northampton.

To all you clever devils out there that have managed to sort these people out.

I have already got one CCJ against me from HFC bank via Restons solicitors which they have now used to get a charging order against my house.

They also have a second one against me and are going for another charging order(final) on June 4th.

I've sent a SAR to HFC to cover both accounts today.

Any other bright ideas as to what I can do to slow Restons down???

As previously stated they seem up to every trick.

Sorry if this is a bit simple but As a solicitors acting on behalf of HFC will a CCA request achieve anything?

Yes. Send the CCA request to the solicitors. They can not act while the account is in dispute. If they do they are aware that any case will in all probability be thrown out.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

You can argue 2 ways - if loads of equity you can say the debt is disproportionate to this equity so CO not fair on this basis. Or if hardly any equity you can argue there is no point in making a CO as may not get paid off if property sold...

.Then again, some judges won't listen to the arguments as many now feel that a CO is reasonable

OK so I've sent the CCA to Restons, any idea if that has any effect on my court appearance next week to see about a final charging order going through?

Good point - Any CO can only be made against your share of the equity

It wasn't so much that I was thinking about Powelll. It was more along the

lines that I seem to remember reading on here, I think, that it is much more

difficult to apply a charging order when there is a third party involved who

has nothing to do with the debt. Prejudicial to their interest in the property?

Maybe the CO could wrongly affect their creditworthiness?

I'll have a look at that idea. Been to court today and argued that I had found unfair charges (unknown full amount) and thus had put a SAR on HFC. Also found that the judgement from the interim charging order had never reached me. Judge agreed to postpone for a month and told me I had to return with a strong case to strike out the original application. So I guess this round is about a draw, any advice out there??

There is something to do with the Law of Property Act 1925 s.70[1][g]

where your ex has a beneficial interest which, I thnk, overrides their right to

impose a charging order. Sorry I am a bit hazy on it-but can't find anything

that quite matches your situation.

Lloyds bank v Rosset argues the case, but Mrs Rosset was not on the loan-just her husband- but they had intended for it to be a joint mortgage, and I

got the impression that had she been on the form, then the charge could not have been issued.

Although there is also something about the other person being present in the house at the time of the charging order, I believe it has been modified to

take into account that the other party was in the house at the time of the exchange.

It might be worth ringing the Court asking for a stay as you are waiting for

the CCA request to be complied with-since without the executed agreement

the charging order cannot go through.

Also is the mortgage a joint tenancy or a tenancy in common? This makes a big difference.

This link will explain the two http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/public_guide_018.pdf

Something that occurred to me as I was talking to the judge about the rights and wrongs of the charges.

When HFC send my stuff to Restons for action, all this actually achieves is for Restons to add about £1500 charges to my bill.

Surely this can't be right? Surely what we're all trying to do is get the debt cleared not add to it???

Any thoughts

Once a case looks like it is going to Court, in view of the amount of money

involved with property, it is important that the solicitors do not mess up and

lose the case. So they have to be pretty thorough to cover al the angles.

Also, the Court charges are a lot higher than in the Small Claims Court which adds to the bill.

The important thing therefore is to avoid going to Court if you can. The

lender tends to use the Court as a last resort so you may have to ask

yourself if there was something you could have done earlier to prevent

the situation arising regardless of the financial situation. Sometimes just

keeping them updated will stave off Court action.

That aside, how did the day go?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure this lot will have done some homework but equally as sure that they are not used to being challenged. Similarly their lines of communication with HFC must be pretty grim or they'd have already passed on the information I was asking for a SAR.

The judge has put the case back a month, and today I collected the court letter telling me the date and time of the next hearing, and it was sent to my old address, despite me telling the judge that previous information had gone to an incorrect address and Restons and the court having my current address.

I had kept HFC informed every step of the way, but once Restons got involved it was rushed into court. They ignored my request to discuss the suggestion from HFC that there could be a chance of a settlement that could be beneficial(HFC had already offered a settlement at about 30%) and instead just whacked their charges on and run to court- thats why I feel so grieved- I just don't see that kind of behaviour as helping sort out debt problems at all.