style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2006 I was on maternity leave and was having difficulty paying my bills, I sent a letter on to council to offer them a token payment till I get back to work. The council did not reply but then I had bailiffs appear they threatened to get a locksmith to open the door if I did not let them in, I told them I was waiting for the council to get back to me and that I had been making payments to the council (I showed them my bank statement to prove the payments were being made), I then called the council and the manager told the bailiffs that they should take my property or get full payment, even though he had said it would take two weeks for them to agree/reply to my letter. I owed them £282.34 but had to pay the bailiffs £462.47. I am really bitter about the way the council handled this as they knew I was on maternity leave and on benefit. I had to get my niece to pay the bill as the bailiffs had starting removing property from the house and to top it all off while they were looking around one of them said oh yeah take the shredder I need one of those at home. What should I do was this too long ago (october 2006) or can I pursue the bailiffs or council. All this and a 9 month old baby to deal with. :confused:

Had the bailiffs contacted you previously?

It's unusual for them to want to remove goods on first visit (as they prefer cash !)

Re >

Although all goods that are removed are supposed to go into a public auction, I'm sure bailiffs have "favourite" auctioneers and can sometimes "set things aside" for themselves by making sure it's auctioned when no one else is there !

The bailiffs had been before, but due to going one maternit yleave I contacted the council because I could not keep up with the £40/month agreed. The council just ignored me and left it to the bailiffs.

Guest buda01

stuff like this really gets my back up. cant believe what manager said about taking your stuff. you didnt have to let them in. you should report the manager for what he said and claim back any unlawfull charges and make a complaint to the council if you have been overcharged. did the bailiff tell you what the manager had said or did you hear it your self. the bailiffs could have been lying about what was said.

anyway after not letting the bailiffs in i would have gone down the council and had a word with the manager about taking out medical insurance as he was going to need it.