• Tweets

• Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

First National Or Ge Money???

bigal9ball
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI ALL,

Please please could anyone help me with my situation?

An ex-partner of mine took out a loan in both our names over 7 years ago! At the time i signed as well as my ex-partner-the truth is that she dealt with all the finances and i just played along!(is that most men??) anyway the loan was for £1000 for some new fascia and soffit boards on our house-the company who we were buying the fascias off also conveniantly organised finance through FIRST NATIONAL.

Now apparently the minimum you could borrow was £1000 even though the fascias only cost £575?? I believe the loan was over 10 years(yes TEN).

The direct debit was set up to come out of my bank account for £27 a month.

My ex-partner and myself have been split-up now for 6 years and about a year after she had gone i realised i was still paying this loan off even though it was in both our names! I also realised that the people now taking the direct debit were now called GE MONEY?? Did i miss something here or had FIRST NATIONAL changed their name to GE MONEY or had they passed my debt onto somebody else without even informing me??

I approached my ex-partner about paying half of the loan every month and frankly im not able to print her reply!! Basically she said that as i was still living in the house and benefitting from the fascias that the debt was now mine?

To cut a very long story very short i am still paying GE MONEY £27 a month over 7 years on and as recently as last month asked for a settlement figure and was astounded to find that i still owe £1100 on the loan???

I have contacted GE MONEY regarding them contacting my ex-partner about her paying half of the loan and basically they didnt give a monkeys! They just said they would have to do a trace to find her and that would cost ME £50!

I just want to know where i stand as regards my ex-partner paying half and also where i stand as to the astounding interest rates that GE MONEY/FIRST NATIONAL have been charging me for last 7 years?

I have full bank and loan statements dating back 6 years?

Obviously having to contact my ex-partner after so long regarding money will open up a big can of worms but im sick of this never ending loan!

I have just succesfully reclaimed all my bank charges for last 6 years and wondered if this kind of interest they are putting on qualifys as UNLAWFUL too??

thanks-BIG AL

Firstly send them the CCA request: (By recorded delivery, with £1 postal order)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html#post162367

Secondly, if you stopped paying on this, as it was signed jointly, could you afford to pay your half (outstanding) outright?

Thirdly, providing they can come up with an acceptable copy of the original agreement and you can pay your half and provide details of your ex-partner, who by your own description sounds like a b*ll breaker, they'll go after her for her half in her own right!

Fourthly, and provisionally, if they can't supply an acceptable copy of the original agreement, and this is from well before things in this respect were tightened up, then they can't enforce it! It sounds like you don't want to deal with your ex-partner, so, you win!

Good luck & keep us posted!

Regards, Dave.

• Haha 1

Yes First National changed to GE Money a little while ago, we have a loan with them and we received a letter stating that they had changed their name.

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL,

Still waiting for GE MONEY to reply to my request for a copy of my credit agreement!

In the meantime could somebody advise me if the unbelieveable amount of interest theyve been putting on for over 7 years is unlawful or not as in the bank charges cases??

For every £27 i pay monthly only £4 comes off the debt and the rest is taken in interest??????

thanks-BIG AL

Guest strangewayofsavin

In most cases when there are 2 people having a loan Ge money etc, like to put in the small print, that if the debt falls into arrears etc, they can chase either, or one of the named individuals, so whoever they find first, they can chase, I am afraid, that there are many companies that operate under the ge money umbrella.

Hi there

What is the original rate of interest? It could be that it is over such a long period of time - hence the reason that only £4 per month is being taken off. My bet is that they wont be able to come up with the CCA and you can then stop paying.

Gemspan

• 3 weeks later...

HI ALL,

Seems ages now since i sent my letter off to GE MONEY requesting a copy of my credit agreement! What happens now? Do they get in touch with me and tell me that my loan is now default due to no CCA? Do i get in touch with them?

ANY HELP PLEASE regards-BIG AL

hi,

As i said above it seems ages now since i sent my CCA copy request to GE MONEY?

Ive since remembered to my horror that i forgot to send it recorded delivery!!!!( i know!!).

Will this affect my request and play into their hands in any way?

Should i send another request recorded delivery?

And by the way ive had no contact whatsoever by phone or letter from GE MONEY for about a week since i sent my CCA request but the strange thing is that ive been getting lots of phonecalls off my ex-partner of 7 years who is named on the loan saying that GE MONEY have been ringing her constantly about 6 times a day demanding money and when she tries to give them my mobile number they dont want to know and hang up on her??

Do you think this is because they HAVE recieved my CCA request and know ive got them by the b***s so to speak and so they are trying to get money out of my ex-partner??

any advice would be very welcome----thanks BIG AL

As they've gone quiet you can bet your last quid that they've had it! Did you pay the £1 by cheque or p/o as both are traceable, if chq look on your statement/s if p/o and you've kept the receipt you can ask Royal Mail to trace it.

If you can prove they had it by tracing the payment a quick straight to the point 'phone call and phone down should be enough to jog their memory, with the mention of Trading Standards.

Regards, Dave.

I have a big box file with individual folders for each creditor and staple receipts and delivery proofs to a copy of the original letter so that nothing can go missing. ;)

Yes i'm afraid it's looking like you'll have to do it again unless you're confident enough to 'phone them and ask them what they're playing at and do a little fishing etc..

Regards, Dave.

Hmmm GE Money...arghhhh, Sorry to say but I found this lot to be one of the worst outfits I have ever had dealings with, well still having dealings with in fact (taking them to court just now re PPI.).

I would suggest that you resend the CCA request and send it recorded delivery, you could also add on the letter that you had previously sent this request but as they have never responded it may have been lost in the post or in GE's Shredder..lol.

I would not expect a quick response from the bunch of &%%£$$%, They are arragant and customers services is a pure laugh.

If you do decide to telphone them I would only do this if you have the abillity to record any telephone conversations, they are a slimey lot and will use every trick in the book to deny any liabillity or responsabillty to customers.

Well thats my Experience of GE, but have something up my sleeve which will hopefully expose them and their tactics..

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

• 4 weeks later...

HI ALL,

Havent heard a dickie bird off GE MONEY since i sent my CCA off about 6 weeks ago but got a letter today saying that i am in arrears by £134.20 and that they have no alternative but to issue a STATUTORY NOTICE OF DEFAULT? they say this is a legal document that they are required to serve to each customer in the contractual agreement? also a fee of £25 will be charged for each notice? it may also affect my credit rating?

Im sorry but this goes straight over the top of my head!!

What contractual agreement??

any help please thanks - BIG AL

A default notice is a requirement under the Consumer Credit Act. Basically, if you are in default of the original agreement you signed they ( usually once you get to 2-3 months behind ) then the default should be sent to you and registered with cred ref agencies in a 'timely' manner. It was contain certain prescribed info but in a nutshell will give you 7 days to 'remedy' the default ie pay. It's not legally binding that you do this in any case.

The issue here is that if they haven't complied with your CCA request then they should not be processing your data. If they have passed 12 working days to provide CCA proof then is against CCA regs but if it has been over a further 30 days they commit a criminal offence and you should approach trading standards to deal with them for you. There is a good sample letter somewhere for telling people not to process your data but I can't find it - hopefully someone else will be kind enough to dig it out?!

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL,

Recieved a letter today which im afraid i dont understand??

Is this letter a copy of my original credit agreement and if so shouldnt there be signatures on it?? Or is it GE MONEY clutching at non existent straws??

They obviously must have recieved my CCA request but i sent that at the start of may??

Anyway here is a copy of the letter i received today!

Any help or advice on what to do next would be great

regards BIG AL.

letter2.jpg

letter1.jpg

No. It is a default notice which will also show on your credit record. Shame for them, they cannot issue a default notice on you when they have failed to issue your CCA. Get their complaints procedure, if they fail to rectify their error within 8 weeks of your complaint, you can go to the FOS who will charge them around £400 to tell them the law. Also complain to the Information Commissioner & Trading Standards.

Thanks for that aktiv but how do i get their complaints procedure? do i phone them or do it by letter? and how do i report them to the other people you said? by e-mail/phone/letter??

thanks-BIG AL

Best not to phone as you need proof of the call, time, date etc. Send a written request by registered post for their complaints procedure. Alternatively you can write the complaint and clearly state at the top in bold letters that it must be dealt with under their official complaints procedure, again send it registered post/guaranteed delivery (costs about £4).

Trading Standards - can do online via the consumerdirect website.

Information Commissioner is to complain they are incorrectly marking your credit file.

Hopefully Rory will be along with an idea of what to write.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks aktiv, just got back off holiday and have a letter from GE MONEY saying "according to our records you have failed to comply with the default notice served to you under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act 1974 in respect of the above agreement between us. Therefore we hereby give you notice and demand that if you fail to pay the arrears stated above within 7 days after the service of this notice the full balance on the account will become payable to us including interest up to the date of actual payment. My 7 days runs out tomorrow??

any ideas?

thanks-BIG AL