Coin meters...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

This isn't a major issue, but it is quite irritating so would appreciate some advice!

I moved into private rented accomodation in October, and everything is fine with it except the gas and electricity meters... they are both pound coin meters and I find them SO inconvenient!

I am completely ignorant about how these things work, and I wondered if anyone could tell me how I would go about getting them changed (preferably to some sort of card meter), if I have to pay to do this, and if I can do it myself or need to go through the landlord.

I wouldn't mind, it's just that I am so absent minded I ALWAYS seem to end up sitting in the dark with no pound coins in my purse! At least with a card I can stick a load on on pay day and forget about it!

As an aside, does anyone know if these old coin meters work out the same cost as paying by other methods? How would I work out how much I am paying per unit?

Thanks in advance

Fizz

Phone your supplier, they will change it for you. You should also get a statement every 3 months showing you what you have paid and what the cost is PPU and standing charge etc. You should be on the same tarrif if on card as coin as it is a prepayment tarrif.

Thanks for the info!

I am a bit concerned that I have lived in the flat for nearly 6 months and haven't seen a statement! I don't even know who the supplier is!

I think I'll need to give the landlord a call and see if I can get a bit more info.

Thanks again

Fizz :)

The landlord probably owns them, the utility companies don't use coin meters any more. You put the money in the meter, he/she uses it to pay the bills. It is illegal for the l/l to charge you more for the power than the unit rates paid to the supplier, although he/she is allowed to add a seperate charge for upkeep of the supply (maintaining the meter, collection costs, etc).