Are the people at LINK mad ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a handwritten note through the door that I think is from one of the neighbours.

Its said Carl Jones telephone 02077932682 and then had my name below.

I called them (withheld my number) and then the guy asked me to confirm who I was

I said no I want to know who you are first as you seem to know me.

He then explained he works for link and letters must have been returned to them.

When he gave me a bit more info I said ok my name is mr Alix2 and he then said yes they have a few returned letters from my old address.

I gave him my address as they had it already and said send any correspondence there.

He then asked me for a phone number and I said NO as I don’t want to give it out.

And again reiterated to send anything in writing and that is when he went off it and started getting irate.

He then said it doesn’t work like this and I MUST give him my phone number.

I again refused he then said that this could lead to severe problems for me and it went on and on until I got fed up and hung up on him.

I do think im right in refusing my number to them is this right ??

I wish they didn't have our phone number!

They have been phoning your neighbours, asking about you?

They have no entitlement to your phone number- you are perfectly reasonable, wanting to do everything in writing. They just want to hassle you by phone- I know, they ring almost daily regarding my husband.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I had a debt passed on to them back over a year ago over £1000 I wish I new about this forums it would have helped me alot in dealing with them

so I recived a letter from them I phoned them up to make monthly payment arrangement but they refused and want me to pay it over 3 months they even asked me to get a loan and pay it. in the end my parents gave me the money and I payed them.

If the debt is yours is best not to ignore them write to them are send them request for your cca because ignoring them will not make the debt go away

Follow the threads here and CCA them. Do not give them your phone number and accept no phone calls from them. There is a CCA letter in the templates library.

Did they phone or call on your neighbours? Sounds unacceptable to me.

Best of luck - no they are not mad, just very greedy and very devious - everything in writing only.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a phone call while at my mother's today requesting me to ask a neighbour to phone 02077932682. Turns out neighbour has had lots of calls from this number and had it blocked, they are now phoning various neighbours with requests, so they're all reporting to "nuisance calls" He suspects an attempt to open an account somewhere in his name. I did a Google search for the number and came accross this page which I've passed on to him

• 6 months later...

My neighbours are getting calls from these people, "an old friend trying to contact me". They seem to have my address, I don't have any debts (that I know of).

Any suggestions as to who they are or who to complain to?

Peter, Link are a debt collection agency, are you sure it's them trying to contact you?

If indeed it is them, and they are phoning your neighbours? then they are breaking oft guidelines as what they are doing constitutes harrassment. Don't phone them or provide them with your number, but do report them, their behaviour is appalling

Hit the scales, you know you want to :p

So far two neighbours asked to pass on a message to me. am exD and they (neighbours) don't have my number either.

The number I am asked to call is the one mentioned. When I called (witholding my number) they said the word Link... wanting to pass on correspondence. Told my neighbours that "an old freind" is trying to contact me. Jack Taylor.. needless to say I don't know him. I have had debts, but currently none. Are you sure it is "Link Financial"? Who do I report them to? Will do so soon as I know who to report them to.

• 5 months later...

I just got a phone call from Carl Jones too, they're after a family member of mine. I pretty much figured it was a phony, then I put the phone number into Google and came across this site. I'm glad I withheld all information he asked for.

You'd think they'd come up with a name other than 'Carl Jones' to make it more difficult to figure out.

Anyone having a problem with Link might like to complain to everyone they can think of (OFT especially) that their website appears to breach OFT guidelines regarding debt collection. Maybe tip the wink to the FOS too? Specifically...

Quote:

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

b. pressurising debtors to sell property, to raise funds by further

borrowing or to extend their borrowing.

I say this, because their website has on their customers page, this wee nugget...

Quote:

If you are a new customer of Link and would like to settle your balance please call us on our freephone number 0800 064 44 99. We accept payment by credit card, debit card, cheque or bank transfer. Alternatively, you may wish to discuss secured loan or remortgage options with us.

Looks pretty damning to me. They HAVE been asked nicely to remove the potentially offending sentence, but have ignored me. So I've seen fit to report them to the OFT myself, even though I'm not a "customer" of Link myself.

Chancers, the lot of them. :wink:

• 7 months later...

I just had a neighbor pass me a note saying that someone called Carl Jones from London is trying to contact me.

He doesn't have a number for me (hardly surprising as BT is my only fixed line provider and i don't deal with BT at all).

Ran the 0207 number through google and up pops this site. So hi :)

I'm actually quite annoyed about this, not only have they gone through someone i do not know to get to me, but they used someone who is supposedly ExD.

• 3 weeks later...

Link did exactly the same thing to me over a year ago!

Link phoned my neighbours and asked them bring a note around to my house,

the caller, Alan, was pretending to be a friend who had lost my telephone number. The note, requested that I phone this Alan individual; it was Link Financial's phone number.

Needless to say, I did not phone them, I phoned my solicitor instead.

Report Link to Consumer Direct and the OFT

Link are waiting for their Consumer Credit Licence to be renewed,

their bad practice actions must impact on their ability to have that licence renewed.

At the end of the day, if you do not complain then Link will get away with their pshycological harassment of consumers.

AC

I'm always puzzled about DCAs calling neighbours. If they don't have your number how on earth are they able to obtain the number of your neighbour???

There are (unlawful) list of telephone numbers listed by address and it's possible they are using one of those I guess.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)