• Tweets

• Please see my comments on your post in red
    • Thanks for your reply, I have another 3 weeks before the notice ends. I'm also concerned because the property has detoriated since I've been here due to mould, damp and rusting (which I've never seen in a property before) rusty hinges and other damage to the front door caused by damp and mould, I'm concerned they could try and charge me for damages? As long as you've documented and reported this previously you'll have a right to challenge any costs. There was no inventory when I moved in, I also didn't have to pay a deposit. Do an inventory when you move out as proof of the property's condition as you leave it. I've also been told that if I leave before a possession order is given I would be deemed intentionally homeless, is this true? If you leave, yes. However, Your local council has a legal obligation to ensure you won't be left homeless as soon as you get the notice. As stated before, you don't have to leave when the notice expires if you haven't got somewhere else to go. Just keep paying your rent as normal. Your tenancy doesn't legally end until a possession warrant is executed against you or you leave and hand the keys back. My daughter doesn't live with me, I'd likely have medical priority as I have health issues and I'm on pip etc. Contact the council and make them aware then.      
    • extension? you mean enforcement. after 6yrs its very rare for a judge to allow enforcement. it wont have been sold on, just passed around the various differing trading names the claimant uses.    
    • You believe you have cast iron evidence. However, all they’d have to do to oppose a request for summary judgment is to say “we will be putting forward our own evidence and the evidence from both parties needs to be heard and assessed by a judge” : the bar for summary judgment is set quite high! You believe they don't have evidence but that on its own doesn't mean they wouldn't try! so, its a high risk strategy that leaves you on the hook for their costs if it doesn't work. Let the usual process play out.
    • Ok, I don't necessarily want to re-open my old thread but I've seen a number of such threads with regards to CCJ's and want to ask a fairly general consensus on the subject. My original CCJ is 7 years old now and has had 2/3 owners for the debt over the years since with varying level of contact.  Up to last summer they had attempted a charging order on a shared mortgage I'm named on which I defended that action and tried to negotiate with them to the point they withdrew the charging order application pending negotiations which we never came to an agreement over.  However, after a number of communication I heard nothing back since last Autumn barring an annual generic statement early this year despite multiple messages to them since at the time.  at a loss as to why the sudden loss of response from them. Then something came through from this site at random yesterday whilst out that I can't find now with regards to CCJ's to read over again.  Now here is the thing, I get how CCJ's don't expire as such, but I've been reading through threads and Google since this morning and a little confused.  CCJ's don't expire but can be effectively statute barred after 6 years (when in my case was just before I last heard of the creditor) if they are neither enforced in that time or they apply to the court within the 6 years of issue to extend the CCJ and that after 6 years they can't really without great difficulty or explanation apply for a CCJ extension after of the original CCJ?.  Is this actually correct as I've read various sources on Google and threads that suggest there is something to this?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MacBoy Vs. Halifax and Hello To the Group!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Update

Wednesday 15th August 2007

It just clicked. The latest letters I got from them, may have been in 'response' to the ICO's intervention.

There is no way of determining this precisely, because of the Halifax's habit (deliberate in my view) of obstructing complaints by using such tactics as correspondence that can neither be traced nor reconciled and standard template letters; thus making it extremely difficult to check their progress.

If this is the case, it would appear that HFX's idea of compliance is to send me not one, but five sets of documents with the same information about charges to my current account for the past six years. Nothing for the credit card account, so there remains tons of information missing about that, from both pre-6 years and later.

So I called the ICO this morning and told them of my suspicions. They advised that they had written to them on 17th July so their 28-day period with them was up; and that I should send in a chase-up letter and they would in turn approach Howard & Chums again.

Letter done. I'll post it in a separate post for ease of reference. I also enclosed a copy of the 'Account Holdings Summary' document I got from the branch last month, which indicates that they still retain data about me going back to the very beginning of my relationship with them in 1987. As always, I'll keep you posted :roll:

Halifax Plc are currently 97 days beyond my original 40-day SAR period.

(will cross-post to 'Claiming Beyond 6 years' thread as I think it is relevant)

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy of letter sent to Information Commissioners Office today.

Dear Sir/Madam

Case Number: RFAnnnnnnn

I am writing to inform you, despite being told by one of your colleagues this morning that mine was one a batch of cases you wrote to Halifax Plc with on July 17th 2007, that the Data Controller at this organisation is still non-compliant with both my request and your complaint.

I received two letters from the Halifax - dated 25th July (their ref.- DSARnnnnnn) and 27th July, (their ref.- DSARnnnnnn), copies enclosed. However as appears to be common practice with the Halifax in these cases, there is no reference back to any correspondence, mine or yours- so I am unable to tell whether these letters were in response to your correspondence or not.

Each of the letters contains a list of bank charges for the same current account - they have already sent me two sets of statements for this account - so all they have done in effect is sent me the same thing a third and a fourth time, only in summary form.

This I believe falls far short of their obligation to provide me with copies of all the data they hold about me. I obtained a copy of their ‘Account Holdings Summary’ document (copy enclosed), which indicates that they have data going back to at 1987, when I opened the current account with them and 1992 when I opened the credit card account with them, respectively.

This is a lamentable performance on the part of Halifax Plc. It is my belief that they are deliberately frustrating and obfuscating my request, using such tactics as correspondence that can neither be traced nor reconciled and standard template letters that make it extremely difficult to gain an idea of their progress. They are now non-compliant 97 days over and above the original 40 days given to them to comply.

I would appreciate it if you could now escalate this matter. This company is clearly not taking its lawful obligations seriously. I am also sending a copy of this correspondence to my MP. Thank you for your kind assistance so far.

Yours faithfully

• Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Make sure you have copies of all correspondence from ICO to Halifax for the papers.

So, if I had been at the ICO myself I would now have 8 copies of the statements insted of 4!! Obviously each request for statements are logged individually. Once thats done its someone elses responsibility further down the line.

Remember it was a full banking history that was asked for so thats not just statements, it covers CCA, any loans, insurances, etc. Statements appear easier (ha ha) to get than the rest. I only have statements, and plenty of them.

They are still failing to provide older statements eg more than 6 years, for the majority of Caggers.

4 sets of statements is incompetence.

Not giving access to older statements and other aspects of banking history is deliberate.

Also deliberate is the delays in sending statements.

4 sets of statements is incompetence.

Not giving access to older statements and other aspects of banking history is deliberate. Also deliberate is the delays in sending statements.

Precisely. I'm tearing my hair out here, Kenny my friend - but I won't stop until I get what I want. :mad:

To any legal eagles mods etc. reading: I have a hearing 23/10 for an N244 I filed for a Pre Action Disclosure, so that I can get the information I need to start my case.

This may serve as a valuable test to see if Data Protection Act-dodgers can be brought to book in court, for missing information both pre-6 years and after.

Write to your MP and

deliberately frustrating and obfuscating

Brilliant phrase Mac. Can I use this when I re-sunmit my N244 to have stay set aside? please !!!

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

Brilliant phrase Mac. Can I use this when I re-sunmit my N244 to have stay set aside? please !!!
Of course you can!

Write to your MP and

Update

Saturday 18th August 2007

Halifax Plc are now 100 days out of compliance. It is 140 days since I started my claim. But I'm going to get them.

Write to your MP and

Update

Saturday 18th August 2007

Halifax Plc are now 100 days out of compliance. It is 140 days since I started my claim. But I'm going to get them.

This deliberate delaying tactic is all too common. I see this all the time on other posts and have first hand experience with HBOS, as you know.

The FSA should be made aware of the volume of cases where this is happening, which is a direct reflection of all issues related to the banking industries delaying tactics.

Noticed this over on Barclaycard, which will no doubt be adapted by our pals for HBOS

Made me laugh, hope others do too!!

CAG --->violent-smiley-1461.gif

I have also heard that a popular poster on HBOS has a fondness for straps etc!!:rolleyes:

Hehehehehe :D Thanks for cheering me up Kenny :lol:

Write to your MP and

Hehehehehe :D Thanks for cheering me up Kenny :lol:

No probs Mac!!! Hope all well and you have a great weekend. Rainy here but guests gone this morning- up at 4 to get them on their way. Nice its just us now. More arriving in 2 weeks!!

Seems almost like a B&B!!

Grey and dull down here too, Kenny :( - I'm relaxing after a hectic week finishing off a major work project after six month's slog. Looking forward to a quieter week next week before jetting off for a couple of weeks of well-deserved R&R :D

Have a great weekend yourself - you can put your feet up after playing Basil! ;)

Write to your MP and

Thanks Kenny - I fully intend to chill out and relax to the max! :D

Write to your MP and

Sunny Sozopol, on the Southern Black Sea Coast in Bulgaria, Til. Current Temperature - 30C and sunny! :D

Write to your MP and

sounds very nice mac 30c cant be bad ive not been there but been told very nice be good to chill out and unwind ive got to wait until october seems ages away something to look forward to though im sure you will ahve a great time:D

Sunny Sozopol, on the Southern Black Sea Coast in Bulgaria, Til. Current Temperature - 30C and sunny! :D

Sound good to me Mac. chill out and enjoy, I got a nice Quiet break comming up in Costa Brava soon. Hope mine is all finished by then too, but I doubt it cos I am pushing with ICO as well for non compliance. I asked for all letters and original T & Cs took them 103 days to send statements , but did send enough info to proceed with claim.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

Cheers Stoned & Tilly :D It's the quieter part of Bulgaria - away from all the Brits and Germans (!) down in the Southern half of the Black Sea coast, towards the Turkish border - beautiful preserved Old Town and harbour, plus great beaches :D:D:D

Write to your MP and

Sozzledpol :lol:

Write to your MP and

Update

Tuesday 21st August 2007

Received new 'Post OFT case' Fob-off letter from HFX today.

Begins:

'Further to your letter (which letter? Usual HFX tactic of non-reference), I am pleased to confirm that the information you requested has now been ordered (presumably this means the fifth copy of the statements/charges lists they have already sent me :roll:). If you have not received all requested documentation within the next two weeks then please feel free to get in touch'.
It then goes on to explain their stance on the test case - I'm sure this has been repeated a million times on CAG already, so I'll spare you. Not sure why they've bothered to send this at all. My last letter to them was 4th July, in which I told them that there would be no further direct communication from myself.

The only thing they've had since then is the letter from the Information Commissioners Office on 17th July, followed by my N244 deemed served 8th August. I did send a further complaint to the Information Commissioners Office but this is way too quick to be in 'response' to that.

If this is their only response to my Pre-Action Disclosure application then they'll need to prepare for a spanking. Somehow I get the feeling it isn't though... Hmmm.

Or am I just assuming too much competence here? :mad:

Write to your MP and

The general gist of the letter above appears to be to convey to the reader a sense that that their case hasn't a hope in hell of being listened to by anyone.

According to HFX, they've:

• Asked the FSA to suspend the normal timetable for dealing with bank charges complaints

• Asked the FOS not to proceed with any other case they are hearing until the test case is resolved

• Will automatically apply for a stay in the event of a legal action being brought (not mine they won't -I'm not taking them to court for bank charges - just for non-compliance with their obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 )

If I wasn't the dogged, feisty bu**ger that I am, I would actually consider throwing in the towel after reading this letter. I suspect many will. Don't.

This letter is an abuse of the waiver they have been granted (which is in itself in my opinion an abuse in the way it has been structured)

Write to your MP and

Mac

You know how I feel about this. I saw a post which had a tollkit for the banks prepared I think by the FSA at the time of the waver. It was issued to the Chief Exec of each bank.

By and large, the contents of these letters are contained in the handbook but with a different emphasis, ie to put people off pursuing claims. It is wrong.

I will check for the handbook, I think it was in a Mrs Foot thread.

Chin up old boy!!!!