Specsavers Contact Lenses

mickkid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am just wondering if anyone else has the contact lenses from Specsavers that you can sleep in - I think they're called Day & Night. They cost £15.50 every month and you can keep them in your eyes for up to a week before having to take them out to clean them.

My poitn is, I have been having loads of probelms with them over the past few months. They keep getting stuck to the upper eyelids and moving upwards on my eyes. This is extremely irritating. Does anyone have any other company or alternatives for the constant wear contact lenses - i.e. the ones you can sleep in. Other than the annoyingness, it's great to be able to see without glasses and without having to poke yourself in the eye twice a day.

Thanks

Michael

It's a common problem with lenses. I've got one stuck up there during the day a couple of time but your eyes roll back in your sleep so it's much more likely to occur then. But maybe there's a brand that less prone to this problem, guess the best person to ask is an optician. There's a list of various lenses on tesco's site which you might find useful

Edited by jonni2bad
link removed

I don't like the "leave in" ones. I take them out every night, I'm using the Acuvue Advance thingys from Specsavers, they last for two weeks. They are better than the Specsavers branded ones I have tried, but I haven't tried the Day-and-Night ones.

Apparently in America the Acuvue are licenced to be left in overnight for up to three nights but on the odd occasion I have done my eyes have been blurry in the morning and I've had to take them out.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

I also have the Specsavers Day and Night, only after trying to sleep in them - (for same reasons as you, ie not wanting to have to put them in every day), I discovered I hate the fact you're not allowed to splash cold water in your eyes when they're in, and I need to splash my face in the morning before I take a bath/shower...so in the end I just decided to get used to putting them in daily - and it get's easier....I don't know that any other companies make lenses that are easier to sleep in, but for me there are too many down sides to it...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

OK will probably try that. I'm in work now - one fell out of my eye on the way to work and the other has just been driving me crazy all day. Will just have to try and get used to taking them out every day then :-S I'm always scared that I'm not gonna be able to get them in in the morning and that I'll be late for work - how sad is that haha!

OK will probably try that. I'm in work now - one fell out of my eye on the way to work and the other has just been driving me crazy all day. Will just have to try and get used to taking them out every day then :-S I'm always scared that I'm not gonna be able to get them in in the morning and that I'll be late for work - how sad is that haha!
Not sad lol - I used to allow myself 45 minutes contact lens time just incase - :D:o

Guest Lueeze

I just wear a really trendy pair of specs! LOL...people think your sophisticated then!;)

Haha I used to wear glasses but thought I looked like a propa geek so wanted contact lenses instead - me glasses were falling apart as well by the time they'd taken a batterin from me haha. I've got a Specsavers appointment on Thursday mornin so I think I will just say that I wanna try dailies - will probably cost a bit more but be worth it! Will have to just get up earlier for work for a couple of weeks so I'm not late :-)

When you get used to lens they are really easy. It takes me seconds to put them in and take them out now, and in between I don't know they're there although my eyes can get itchy towards the end of the day sometimes.

I've been wearing lens for about 15 years now, I wish I have tried them earlier because I will never go back to glasses unless I have to.

Try this site: contactforlenses.com

1-day Acuvue at £13.99 a box (30 lenses), that's £41.97 for three months, a mental saving on Specsavers price which according to their website is £102 for three months. I also know a brilliant members-only website where you get 4% off this price and similar savings just about everywhere else you shop too + £5 for joining, not sure I'm allowed to post it here but PM me if you want the link.

For your free eye tests keep a look out for Dollond and Aitchinson (I think that's the name) who often put vouchers in mags and newspapers. Tesco's free magazine often has a free D&A eye test coupon, rather strange since Tesco also have their own opticians too - worth checking if they do free eye tests but you won't beat the above price for contact lens.

Edited by jonni2bad
Link removed

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Guest Lueeze

I cant wear them at all, I tried and failed. But Im happy cos I have a good excuse to buy new glasses all the time, my faves are a gucci pair, and recently I have a wacky pair that are purple, and soo fab....

I like them, cos it makes me different, and funny actually the opposite sex quite like the glasses too...:rolleyes:

I get my 1 day acuvue Moist from D&A. They are meant to stay hydrated longer, and I can recommend them. I have no probs with them at all.

They cost £39 per month for 2 boxes. However, if you join their contact lenses by post scheme - you get 50% off glasses - you can buy as many pairs of glasses as you like too :D Inlcludes all checkups too.

Personally I prefer not to sleep in lenses - I like my eyes to "breathe" every now and then. Mind you there has beenthe odd occasion where I have stumbled in drunk and fogot to take them out 9.gif

Guest Lueeze

BARGAIN!!!!

I used to work for Haine and Smith, so I have always had a fetish for glasses...

I get mine from the site recommended by Seylectric, they are just about the cheapes around, they also have samples for you to try if you are not sure what you want.

Rgds:cool:

Which website was that?

Didn't expect so many replies about contact lenses haha. Will give that site a try definitely. Now means I'm probably gonna cancel with Specsavers on Thursday morning haha!

I have been wearing contacts for a couple of years after moving on from speks (fed up of them fogging up/getting dirty/not looking right with hats etc). I started out on Focus dailies and moved on to their weeklys and monthlies. I get mine from the site recommended by Seylectric, they are just about the cheapes around, they also have samples for you to try if you are not sure what you want. Also, I get the Boots or B&L eye refreshing drops. They come in individual pipettes which help to unstick eyes and just give your eyes a quick boost of liquid and do refresh. I work outside & for long hours in 'dangerous' environments and they really help (also allows daily contacts to last well into the night if you're out on the town!!)

Rgds:cool:

Big Col:p

RBS LBA 20/06/06. WON - 21/10/06

MBNA(1)-Start-20/06/06, Claim-£250, 15/8 - Winner!!

MBNA Virgin(2)-Start-20/06/06, Claim £100, 15/8 - Winner!!

BoS MCard Data Protection Act Sent 20/06/06 - WON 16/10/06

Green On!

If the post/advice helps, pse click on the scales!! :cool:

• 1 year later...

Hey Mick, i think the lenses you are talking about from specsavers are acutally just repackaged version of AirOptix Night & Day, a lot of the larger chain opticians repackage major brands with their own name.

i had to reorder my own lenses the other day (specsavers easy vision) and found out that they are actually just repackaged Focus Dailies. I used Find Cheap Contact Lenses its tells you who the cheapest supplier is in the UK saved myself over ten quid!!!

EDIT - where it says "Find Cheap Contact Lenses" it should say lensfinder.co.uk odd!!!!!!

Edited by jonni2bad
link removed

A friedn of mine uses normal contact lenses and has done for 5 or 6 years. He says he never takes his contact lenses out of a night and that, once he puts them in, they stay in until the feel uncomfortable (they're monthly ones). God knows what this is doing to his eyes, if anything, but he said that his prescription has not changed, he has tests twice a year and the optician has never found any problems with his eyes.

I am just working out if he is very lucky or a liar, or as, he says, that the contact lens industry are conning people into buying as much of their stuff as humanly possible for no good reason! being a contact lens wearer myself, I will kepp with my normal overnight wash routine!

hey gyzmo, i was reading an article about the issue of wearing lenses longer than recommmended the other day. The wear periods recommended by the manufacturers represent the pattern the lens has been licensed for.

In order to be licensed the lens has to undergo very substantial testing and as such you can be sure your eyes are safe if you follow manufacturers recommendations. If you wear your lenses for longer it may well be safe, but this has not been tested and as such has not been proven safe.

Ooh I wouldn't dare leave them in overnight or use for longer than the month! My friend is a different matter though! When you say pattern do you mean certificate of pattern approval (or whatever they are called now)?

i meant the wear pattern the lens is sold for ie daily, monthly, fortnightly, continuous etc. While a lens sold as daily disposable MAY be safe to use for a month, it has only been tested for safety when used as a daily disposable.

It is also worth noting that a lens sold under the same brand name in the US and UK for example may not actually be identical products, so if a lens has been licensed for daily and monthly use in the US it is not necesarily identical to the product with the same name which is sold in the UK only for daily use.

One of the most important factors in determining a lenses wear pattern relates to the amount of oxygen which can reach the surface of you eye when you wear the lens - this is called the oxygen transmissability. Lenses such as AirOptix which is meant for continuous wear for 30 days have an oxygen transmissability of 175Dk/t whereas a daily wear lens such as Focus Dailies have a rating of only 29Dk/t. From this you can see that when worn over the same length of time far more oxygen is available to your eye when using an AirOptix lens as compared to a Focus Daily lens, so, if you wear a Focus Daily lens for longer than recommended you run the risk of starving your eye surface of oxygen and causing a condition called stromal anoxia which can in turn lead to a number of more serious problems.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks