Direct debits - evil!

No6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Direct Debit with Virgin Media

I would be grateful for assistance.

I have had ongoing problems with NTL/Virgin Media re supply of mutifarious products (TV/Broadband/Phone).

They are constantly getting my billing wrong and I wrote to them, well in advance of my next Direct debit due date (23rd of month) specifying that under no circumstances should they present a DD on the next due date until the amount to be drawn had been agreed bewteen both parties. I have written, telephoned and e-mailed and still they cock it up. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread-if you do not pay by DD they apply an unlawful penalty charge.

Can I pursue them for banking charges (unlawful penalties) incurred and my time wasted trying to communicate their errors as a result?????

Fletch

Thanks remus, but even tho' it chargrin's me greatly, my ISP will only accept payment via charge card or DD. Thus far - and I've been with them for several years (they're a small outfit) everything has worked out perfectly. But in principle, I think DD's are a disgrace. Maybe I will now take the time to email my ISP and see what they say about changing to SO...

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

DD = Evil.

Completely agree.

Anyone who has come across some of my rants will know how I feel about them.

Why do companies push them so? Because it gives them the power to take however much they want, when they want, and unless you cancel it really quickly, they will get it. You might as well put your wallet or purse on the counter, and say: Go on, guys, help yourselves. :mad:

People struggle to pay bills, make do from week to week, and yet say DD are practical, because they don't have the time to organise S/O.

WAKE UP! The road to getting back in control of your finances is getting your mitts back on the reins of how much goes where and when!

Standing Orders and Online Banking are the 2 essential tools to get back in control, take it from someone who knows.

I am sick and tired of phoning an institution or another to pay a bill, and they try to flog me DD. While I am paying for the call on an 0870 number at that! My god, people, can you think of any more ways to make money out of me??? :-x

Annnnd *deep breath*...

bookworm, you should be using the site "say NO to 0870:p mind you the receptionist of one company said she couldnt put me through to the DD bit I would have to ring yep you've guessed it the 0870 number:mad:

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

I don't want to go off track with this thread - DD's are indeed a way of chucking the key to your bank account away - Bookworm is absolutely correct and I thank him/her for full support of what I have been saying.

But talking about 08... & 09 telephone numbers please remember you too can have "terms and conditions" when doing business. One of mine is that I absolutely refuse to dial these numbers under any circumstances. Ask me to ring a normal number - fine, a mobile- fine, 08 or 09 - sod off, and don't even get me going about call centres, keep this thread to DD's please. (well you can get me going but in another thread please)

Ta very much :)

Hi

I'd like to reinforce the point that DD's are about vendors controlling their customers finances. Which is completely the opposite of what should be the case.

I'm a case worker in a CAB and know exactly how ruthless, corrupt and dishonest virtually all large companies are.

I also refuse to use DD's. All my bills are paid either by standing order, or by direct transfer from my online account. I will not do business with any company that insists upon DD's.

For anyone looking for an ISP who accepts virtually all payment types then Zen internet do. zen.co.uk

I'd advise everyone to boycott DD's. I wish more of my clients would follow that advice.

misc000, No6 and others --- it seems to me that a head of steam is developing here with regard to the evils of DDs and I wonder if this subject shouldn't have it's own forum heading, where information, advice and other strands of useful information can be posted and a corpus of knowledge gathered?

My impression is that DDs are a very large part of the mechanism used by banks to "manufacture" their unlawful charges and anything that aids in the amelioration of this sly implementation of plutocratic plunder can't be a bad thing.

It would, of course, take some careful thinking but in general it seems a sensible progressive?

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

I agree. Direct debits have become an entrenched method of collecting cash by big companies and they cause so much misery and hassle, they do need their own thread, but that's for the moderators/site owners to sort.

Are you all aware that while big companies are obsessed with collecting money by direct debit, they themselves, never pay their bills by direct debit. They say they have no control and don't like anyone dipping into company accounts. Hypocrites!

I've been an IT Manager, who's worked closely with Finance Directors and accounts staff for a number of years, big business wants bills, on paper that they can sit on until the last moment when they will pay. They do this to help heir own cash flow.

While they wont allow direct debits on business accounts they will pay by BACS (Direct electronic credit transfer) or very rarely Standing Order. For example salaries are paid electronically, through the banking system and I have no issues at all with credit transfer, BACS (it might have changed its name) or good old cheques.

As we've said before many times it's all about control.

So if businesses don't use Direct Debit because of lack of control over finances why should we? ;)

I know of similar stories No6, re banks and the tricks they use. I know of one very large international bank that holds back payment to its suppliers for months on end. The larger suppliers can accomodate this (and probably factor it into their price of doing business), but the smaller one suffer terribly with cash flow problems. When the smaller ones can suffer no more, the bank calls them in and negotiates a hefty discount on the outstanding invoice (that they previously committed to). If the supplier wants to be paid, they must accept these bullying terms. Basically they end up providing supplies/services free of profitab just cover their overheads. Disgraceful.

But again this emphasises how banks do not use DDs themselves, but normally pay their expenses by cheque.

DDs are a bloody menace and should either be outlawed altogether or be so heavily regulated in their use that it becomes seriously unprofitable for companies to even consider abusing them.

As it presently stands thay can abuse them all days long, gain great wads of temporary cash flow, and also keep a bundle of it because unsuspecting members of the public don't check their bank statements very thoroughly (if at all) and don't claim it back.