• Tweets

• You will probably get a couple more reminders followed by further demands fro unregulated debt collectors with even increasing amounts to pay. They are all designed to scare you into paying.  Don't. It's a scam site and they do not know who was driving and they know the keeper is not liable to pay the PCN. Also the shop was closed so they have no legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear. So to charge £100 is a penalty as there is no legitimate interest which means that the case would be thrown out if it went to Court.  Keep your money in your wallet and be prepared to ignore all their letters and threats. Doubtful they would go to Court since a lot more people would not pay when they heard  MET lost in Court. However they may just send you a Letter of Claim to test your resolve.  If yoy get one of those, come back to us and we will advise a snotty letter to send them.  You probably already have, but take a look through some of our past Met PCNs to see how they are doing.
    • Hello, been a while since I posted on here, really hoping for the same support an advice I received last time :-) Long, long story for us, but basically through bad choices, bad luck and bad advice ended up in an IVA in 2016. The accounts involved all defaulted, to be expected. In 2018, I got contacted by an 'independent advisor' advising me that I shouldn't be in an IVA, that it wasn't the solution for our circumstances and that they would guide us through the process of leaving the IVA and finding a better solution. I feel very stupid for taking this persons advice, and feel they prey on vulnerable people for their own financial gain (it ended with us paying our IVA monthly contribution to them)-long and short of it our IVA failed in 2018. At the same time the IVA failed we also had our shared ownership property voluntarily repossessed (to say this was an incredibly stressful time would be an understatement!) When we moved to our new (rented) property in August 2018, I was aware that creditors would start contacting us from the IVA failure. I got advice from another help website and started sending off SARs and CCAs request letters. I was advised not to bury my head and update our address etc and tackle each company as they came along. Initially there was quite a lot of correspondence, and I still get a daily missed call from PRA group (and the occasional letter from them), but not much else. However, yesterday i had a letter through from Lowell (and one from Capital One) advising that they had bought my debt and would like to speak with me regarding the account. There will be several.of these through our door i suspect, as we did have several accounts with Capital One. Capital One have written to us with regular statements over the last 5 years, and my last communication with them was to advise of of our new address (June 2019), I also note that all of these accounts received a small payment in Jan2019 (i'm assuming the funds from the failed IVA pot). Really sorry for the long long post, but just thought id give (some of) the background for context.... I guess my question at the moment is.....how do I respond to Lowell...do I wait for the inevitable other letters to arrive then deal with them all together or individually...? Do I send them a CCA?  Many thanks
    • hi all just got the reminder letter, I have attached it and also the 2nd side of the original 1st pcn (i just saw the edit above) Look forward to your advice Thanks   PCN final reminder.pdf pcn original side 2.pdf
    • The airline said it was offering to pay $10,000 to those who sustained minor injuries.View the full article
    • The Senate Finance Committee wants answers from BMW over its use of banned Chinese components by 21 June.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i have been having problems with the council and bailiffs now for 6 months , the bailiffs currently have a walking possesion order ( my son opened the door) , when they came in they issued me with further unpaid council tax bills to which i have been trying to show the council i do not owe these debts as i was on benefits at the time of these debts. The council are still adament i owe these debts, i have proof that i dont , i have sent a letter to bailiffs to offer to pay 10.00pw i had a reply back stating that i have to pay 30.00 pw this i cannot afford as i am a single parent and a student on low income, i have now had another letter stating that enforcement officer will be visiting my home , please can u explain forceable entry , can they break my door down ? can they employ a lock smith ? can i bolt my door from inside? ..... I have also written to my local counciller who is looking in to this for me , can i apply to the court to have a hearing with them to prove i do not owe these debts???

any help would be appreciated

firstly, how old is your son? this will affect whether they ahve acted lawfully in entering your property or not.

Secondly, write a letter to your council cc-ing bailiffs and your local councillorstating the problem and that the account is in dispute. Give them 7 days to respond or you will involve the local government ombudsman and your MP.

Hopefully that will get things moving.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I must also ask the question, how old is your son?

With benefits, if you have to reapply for them each year, if you do not do this within the allotted time scale, then the council will assume that you should pay council tax for the period that you were not receiving benefits.

This happens a lot within councils.

Did anyone sign the walking possession agreement?

Hi there yes my son opened the door whilst i was in my bedroom he is 5 years old and from what i can work out he told the man to come in , yes the walking possesion agreement was signed by me as he was in my house and was threatening to take my goods there and then. I have had the account placed on hold numerous times by the council now , and they have now taken them of hold , i have informed my local counciller whom is looking into this for me... Yes i renewed my claims at the same time as my housing benefit was due and if there was a discrepcy with my council tax payment then there would of been problems with my housing benefit also which i have pointed out to the council , but still to no avail.

Muchy, if you pm me, I will try to help you tomorrow - it llooks as if there are a myriad of problems needing sorting out here - let's talk and see what we acn do.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Oh Muchy - I cannot tell you how appalled I am that a bailiff allowed himself to enter your house on the say so of a 5 year old! :-x :-x :-x

Any decent human being would not have taken advantage of that situation.

My son opened the door to a debt collector and was badgered for my whereabouts / phone number / etc. Fortunately he was 12 and quite savvy so played dumb, but to expect a five year old....

How sad that you now have to warn him about people coming to the door of your own home.

Tiglet seems to be a real font of wisdom from what I have seen on this site, so you have found an ally now.

Good luck hun x

(Off to fume and slam doors now!)

Hi....

below is an excerpt from the bailiffs code of conduct..

Interesting reading

The NSEA is endorsed by a range of central and local government departments and the bailiffs' trade bodies, all of whose members should comply with it.

Enforcement agents should:

Carry out their duties in a professional, calm and dignified manner. This includes dressing appropriately and acting with discretion and fairness.

They must not misrepresent their powers or abilities, or discriminate on grounds of gender, sexual, orientation, age, ethnicity, race or religion

Produce identification and authorisation on request

Communicate clearly and provide information (on charges etc) prompt

Have arrangements for translation services and provision of information in large print, Braille etc

Provide procedures for identifying and dealing fairly with vulnerable debtors such as people who are elderly, disabled, those who have been bereaved recently, lone parents, pregnant women, unemployed people, people with language difficulties.

The conduct of levies

'Unlawful force' should not be used to enter any premises

If the Police are called to deal with a breach of the peace, their presence must be explained including that they are not there to help with the levy

If the only person present is or appears to be under 18, the agent must depart, but may ask when the debtor will be home. If the only persons at home are children under the age of 12, the agent must simply leave.

Bailiffs should avoid so far as is practicable avoid disclosing the purpose of their visit to anyone who is not the debtor. Relevant documents should be left in a sealed envelope addressed to her/him

Visits should ideally only be made between 6am and 9pm (or any time that the debtor is conducting business). Visits should not take place on Sundays, Bank Holidays, Good Friday or Christmas Day, unless legislation or a Court permits this. Respect for other religions and cultures should be upheld, and visits avoided on appropriate festivals and holidays.

Goods that are clearly those of a child should not be seized

Bailiffs should take all reasonable steps to satisfy themselves that the value of goods seized is proportional to the debt and charges owing

When goods are removed, receipts should be given to the debtor

Debtors must be notified of fees on each visit and of the fees that will be incurred if further action takes place

Copies of the NSEA should be available from the offices of the agencies, from the agents on request and if possible from the creditors themselves

There are no sanctions for non-compliance with NSEA but agents are required to operate complaints and disciplinary procedures.

Further details http://www.lcd.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Unfortunately, her five year old son was not the only person home, so it will not apply. HOWEVER I am checking into the legalities of entering the home on the say so of a five year old.

Guest Herbie

As a Student and single mother, I would be surprised if you were not entitled to Income Support. If you were receiving this, then any arrears of Council Tax can legally be deducted at the set rate of £2.90 per week from your benefits. Bailiif action is the strictly prohibited.

In any event, as a single person do ensure that you have applied for the single persons discount of 25% off your Council Tax. You can ask for the application to be backdated.

As a Student and single mother, I would be surprised if you were not entitled to Income Support. If you were receiving this, then any arrears of Council Tax can legally be deducted at the set rate of £2.90 per week from your benefits. Bailiif action is the strictly prohibited.

In any event, as a single person do ensure that you have applied for the single persons discount of 25% off your Council Tax. You can ask for the application to be backdated.

I'm looking for clarification regarding the use of Bailiffs where a person is in reciept of benefits and/or deemed a vulnerable adult. I don't believe it is prohibited. But, I cannot find the right info online. Is it just a guideline for Local Authorities?

mike

Data Protection Act sent 11.07.06

1st offer of £94 received 14.07.07(no thanks)

Statements rec'd 27.07.06 Total charges £591

2nd offer received 04.08.06 £281(refused)

LBA sent 14.08.06

FLBA sent 01.09.06

N1 Papers to Court 11.09.06 £722

Issued 22.09.06, Deemed served 26.09.06

Letter received 27.09.06 Paying in full within 5 days!:p