• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Credit AGREEMENT -or- APPLICATION? RBS Advantage Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyway, the main reason I am posting this message is to say that next week I am purchasing the bible on the CCA 1974. It costs over £900 but it is a worthwhile investment as it covers every area of consumer credit and will hopefully clarify some of the areas of difficulty and contradiction that exist in this far from straightforward Act.

Will you be buying it on credit, Laiste?! ;)

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi KJD,

I couldn't stop laughing when I read your comment!:p Actually, it's a wonderfully wicked thought I could get them to pay for their own

demise!:D The truth however, is that I won't be using credit to pay for it. I refuse to have any form of credit now, I hate the banks and credit cards so much, that on principle I will not contribute to their obscene profiteering. There is definitely something very liberating about not being in the clutches of these parasites....! I think for many people the realisation of just how dependant they are on credit cards, loans etc, doesn't register until they are forced to live without credit, usually as a result of mounting debt or the decision is perhaps taken to live a different way, to escape the clutches of the bankers! There is a lot to be said for a simpler life...I'm getting all philosophical, what's going on???:rolleyes:

Laiste.:)

Hi, take a look at this site, might be of interest

Financial Agreement Solutions

I saw it advertised on credit expert.com

New Consumer Credit act regulatoins come into force tomorrow, making it easier to challenge the consumer credit act. Plus a website's been set up promising to allow people to check whether their loan/credit card agreement is enforceable:grin:

Hi KJD,

I couldn't stop laughing when I read your comment!:p Actually, it's a wonderfully wicked thought I could get them to pay for their own

demise!:D The truth however, is that I won't be using credit to pay for it. I refuse to have any form of credit now, I hate the banks and credit cards so much, that on principle I will not contribute to their obscene profiteering. There is definitely something very liberating about not being in the clutches of these parasites....! I think for many people the realisation of just how dependant they are on credit cards, loans etc, doesn't register until they are forced to live without credit, usually as a result of mounting debt or the decision is perhaps taken to live a different way, to escape the clutches of the bankers! There is a lot to be said for a simpler life...I'm getting all philosophical, what's going on???:rolleyes:

Laiste

I know exactly what you mean... this is my second time around... long long time ago I was v young and pretty stupid. Not sure what went wrong.. ah I remember... it was a thing called recession... my successful business suddenly hit with cancelled business or chasing money... anyway, my faithful staff stuck with me until the bitter end. For 4 months I paid myself nothing I drew money from CC, loans not paying my own personal stuff but always getting enough money together to pay the wage bill. I remember finally getting my last cheque into the business and telling everyone that it was the end of the road. I even had to bully them to go.. they wanted to work for free just so that the business could struggle through the recession... I wouldnt have it.

That was many years ago, I was straddled with huge debts, ccjs, felt low, little self worth, no way to turn, suicidal, etc but the strength of a wonderful partner who administered a good kick in the pants, and the advice of a total stranger - a bankruptcy accountant who gave up his Saturday fishing to listen to my sad story - only to tell me the obvious - they MAY get you in the end - just forget them and do what you do best!!

Slowly, painfully I did just that, it was such a relief not losing sleep trying to work out HOW to pay the wage bill. But then, things hugely improved, so much so that I lost sight of the pain of credit debt and the stupidity of it and the fragility of work - I lost a very very well paid job - for over 2 years I was unemployed... nothing, no income, not a thing, then a really crap job - but it gave me dignity and some income CCs supplemented it until finally a really good job again, but income not enough to support CCs.

So that is why I am here....battling with the rest of you... looking for ways to reduce my debt and getting back to the simple life...

thanks for reading....

but life is good, look outside - all you see is free - blue skies, fresh air...

god dammit - blue skies??? looks like I'm going to be whipped into a frazzel by HWMBO (her who must...) to crack on with finishing the borders, power jet the patio, repoint the patio, clean the barbie, sand down the crap from the furniture, varnish etc, replace broken fences, clean out the crap in the guttering, make sure the pond still has koi in it... oh the gazebo needs digging out and relaying with the latest slate bits on the floor from b&q.... when you've done that...

roll on Tuesday... back to work for a rest.....:D

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Laiste

I know exactly what you mean... this is my second time around... long long time ago I was v young and pretty stupid. Not sure what went wrong.. ah I remember... it was a thing called recession... my successful business suddenly hit with cancelled business or chasing money... anyway, my faithful staff stuck with me until the bitter end. For 4 months I lived on CC loans not paying things but always getting enough money together to pay the wage bill. I remember finally getting my last cheque in and telling everyone that it was the end of the road. I even had to bully them to go.. they wanted to work for free just so that we could struggle through the recession... I wouldnt have it.

That was many years ago, I was straddled with huge debts, ccjs, felt low, little self worth, no way to turn, suicidal, etc but the strength of a wonderful partner who administered a good kick in the pants, and the advice of a total stranger - a bankruptcy accountant who gave up his Saturday fishing to listen to my sad story - only to tell me the obvious - they MAY get you in the end - just forget them and do what you do best!!

Slowly, painfully I did just that, it was such a relief not losing sleep trying to work out HOW to pay the wage bill. But then, things hugely improved, so much so that I lost sight of the pain of credit debt and the stupidity of it and the fragility of work - for over 2 years I was unemployed... nothing, no income, not a thing, then a really crap job - but it gave me dignity and some income CCs supplemented it until finally a really good job again, but income not enough to support CCs.

So that is why I am here....battling with the rest of you... looking for ways to reduce my debt

thanks for reading....

god dammit - blue skies??? looks like I'm going to be whipped into a frazzel by HWMBO (her who must...) to crack on with finishing the borders, power jet the patio, repoint the patio, clean the barbie, sand down the crap from the furniture, varnish etc, replace broken fences, clean out the crap in the guttering, make sure the pond still has koi in it... oh the gazebo needs digging out and relaying with the latest slate bits on the floor from b&q.... when you've done that...

Z

Great words Zubo We've been there. Still are I suppose, but gradually getting better. We lost the business and my wife was made bankrupt. I kept the business going as long as I could with my early severance cash and credit cards but like you, it eventually had to stop. You can only flog a dead horse so much. That was six years ago so it's even fell off her credit file now. We managed to keep the house and to date (touch wood), the OR has not been back. Under the new rules he should hand the interest back now but I'm waiting for a few weeks before I remind him. Anyway, have a good day in the garden. That's where I've spent all week; off to my son's wedding in a couple of hours.js

Guest Battleaxe

New Consumer Credit act regulatoins come into force tomorrow, making it easier to challenge the consumer credit act. Plus a website's been set up promising to allow people to check whether their loan/credit card debt is enforceable:grin:

That was interesting. I entered the details of our supposed Agreements with MBNA and Crap One, guess what. As none of the agreements have the prescribed bits and pieces, I was pout in a loop, as I couldn't fill anything and it it kept asking for information which is not on the supposed Agreements, so I can only assume, we have pieces of paper which a Judge might like to see. Couldn't even get to the sunmmary stage as the I had to leave all the boxes blank, regarding interest, amount, first payment etc.

joesoap - have a wonderful day, I hope the weather is as lovely up there as it is here - enjoy!

(What are you doing on here??!! -keeping out the way of the women?)

Thanks lb. Yes, pottering around letting wor lass have a free rein (today only). Not a cloud in the sky, it's fabulous.

js

New Consumer Credit act regulatoins come into force tomorrow, making it easier to challenge the consumer credit act. Plus a website's been set up promising to allow people to check whether their loan/credit card debt is enforceable:grin:

Interesting quote on the home page

Quote: Lord Justice Sedley – “the moral for a pawnbroker such as Mr Howard is that if he wants the rewards of his trade he must operate strictly by the book, and that the failure to do so may be not merely to unravel agreements, but to reverse the indebtedness that they have purportedly caused."

Penelope Wilson V Howard Pawnbrokers at the London Court of Appeal, Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand. 5th February 2005. Appeal dismissed with costs.

That was interesting. I entered the details of our supposed Agreements with MBNA and Crap One, guess what. As none of the agreements have the prescribed bits and pieces, I was pout in a loop, as I couldn't fill anything and it it kept asking for information which is not on the supposed Agreements, so I can only assume, we have pieces of paper which a Judge might like to see. Couldn't even get to the sunmmary stage as the I had to leave all the boxes blank, regarding interest, amount, first payment etc.

I tried to do the same and it wouldnt let me go any further, seems I dont have the needed details either, very interesting isnt it, I,m not sure Id pay a fee to have it done for me, :-D

Hi Zubo....

I'm in the same boat, same sort of thing happened to me in the late eighties early nineties, except I very nearly lost my house as well. In the end i wrote to the cheif executive of the bank (Natwest at the time) and he very graciously let me keep the house and not pusue a repossession, but kept the charge on it to be paid if I ever sell the house.

Now if I can just get rid of that :-).............

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Zubo and others are testament to the fact that there is life after

debt!:)

I really feel for the people that haven't discovered this site that are drowning in debt and being exploited disgracefully because of their plight, by the banks, c/c's and DCA's. They'll take everything you possess given half the chance, (as some here know) if you have no knowledge of the law. I have no sympathy whatsoever for Companies whose apparent watchwords are greed and exploitation. They are now reaping much to their chagrin, the consequences of what they have sown!:D

I hope everyone is enjoying the Easter break!

Have you finished the jobs yet Zubo that your wife kindly organised for you?;) It's not long till Tuesday, as you say, you can have a proper

rest then!:roll:

Have you finished the jobs yet Zubo that your wife kindly organised for you?:wink: It's not long till Tuesday, as you say, you can have a proper

rest then!

You know what Laiste - I know you ... there is such precision about you... you are so like a dear teutonic friend of mine ... yes I am not from these parts... I am from East Europe, can't you tell when I struggle with the words, or misinterpreat them - but Pam so eloquently corrects me....

but enough! you are correct Laiste, we must do much much more to help these poor people.... I too worry... the clever people are here, but what of others, or old people who are vunerable...

I worry.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank-you for the compliment Zubo,:) although I'm not sure I am quite as precise as you have kindly suggested!

Your messages are fine Zubo, very amusing at times, which I enjoy reading! Whereabouts in Eastern Europe are you from?

I hope you are enjoying the holiday!

Regards,

P.S. Keep an eye on my thread in legalities tommorow re the interest matter, that I was supposed to be getting round to!:rolleyes: Thanks.

Laiste

I know exactly what you mean... this is my second time around... long long time ago I was v young and pretty stupid. Not sure what went wrong.. ah I remember... it was a thing called recession... my successful business suddenly hit with cancelled business or chasing money... anyway, my faithful staff stuck with me until the bitter end. For 4 months I paid myself nothing I drew money from CC, loans not paying my own personal stuff but always getting enough money together to pay the wage bill. I remember finally getting my last cheque into the business and telling everyone that it was the end of the road. I even had to bully them to go.. they wanted to work for free just so that the business could struggle through the recession... I wouldnt have it.

Slowly, painfully I did just that, it was such a relief not losing sleep trying to work out HOW to pay the wage bill. But then, things hugely improved, so much so that I lost sight of the pain of credit debt and the stupidity of it and the fragility of work - I lost a very very well paid job - for over 2 years I was unemployed... nothing, no income, not a thing, then a really crap job - but it gave me dignity and some income CCs supplemented it until finally a really good job again, but income not enough to support CCs.

So that is why I am here....battling with the rest of you... looking for ways to reduce my debt and getting back to the simple life...

thanks for reading....

Z

Hello Zubo,

I have previously read this thread with interest and always looked forward to your involvement. Tonight I read your post and was moved to tears. You are a true diamond. You brought me back to the place I was, the sleepless nights, the shame and fear, shouting at the children for nothing. I could not see anway out of the situation. I could not tell anybody. I wanted to get in my car and go, to where I did not know, but they would take my home and I had to look at the faces of my children I was so alone with the shame,

but I have found lots of people just like me and I don't have to be ashamed anymore. I don't have shame now I have wrath which is now vented at these institutes who trick us and fool us out of our money and when things go wrong they want us to pay them back everything.

We are now a bit more educated because of info from yourself and all the follow CAGERS who are out for justice for themselves and others.

I salute you integrity

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

As a further note on my particular case, if there has been no contact or payment for twelve years although the charge is still there they cannot make you sell your house........guess what they tried to do just before the twelve years was up......yes they tried to get me to sign some form or other. this would have restarted the twelve years. I totally ignored them and after several letters over a period of just over 12 months they gave up.

the twelve year period past without incident :-)

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Hi All

Happy glorious Easter!!!

I thank you for all your lovely comments and your own personal feedback.

Laiste moved me with her post to not be so afraid of revealing a little of myself.

It IS a very lonely place out there when you are faced with such seemingly impassable tracts in the journey in front of you. I simply wanted to remind everyone that for a variety of reasons, mostly not of our making, a lot of people are in very similar situations and need all our help.

We are not here to make profit, nor to undermine the financial institutes. We are simply here to support and help each other through a tricky period in our lives. That may well mean that we will use all lawful means to do so and as good advice as we can get, but do not forget how you felt in similar circumstances and how good it feels to help.

Sermon over, lets go kick a// ... oh no... wife has got the power jet out to wash the patio... the car... damn!!

Z

btw Laiste - for my sins my parents are from Poland, but most of my life I have been living here... in fact I introduce myself to the new influx of Poles (another problem - I know) as an English-Pole :D:D:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest Battleaxe

Zubo,

Love your description of your 'nationality'. I have self edited, before a MOD gets hold me. I had a funny thought about pole dancing

Zubo,

Love your description of your 'nationality'. I have self edited, before a MOD gets hold me. I had a funny thought about pole dancing

hehehe,

just read the email notification with the unabridged version... have to get my dance card out... ok line up ladies... :D

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a question. I sent a CCA to MBNA, i included both account numbers i have with them, they sent me a CCA, which can be seen here>>

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/80708-cca-recieved-mbna.html

But they sent a note with it saying>>

"Copy as requested. Same application for both accounts supplied, thankyou"

Which cant be right, what should my next move be?

There is no account number on the CCA they sent me, should there be? because i dont know which account it refers to.

Hi

any comments on this it is from the Cancellation guide provided by the OFT as directed to by M55 Last week

The general requirement for copy documents is that one copy of the agreement

(including, if applicable, a notice of cancellation rights) must be given or sent to the

customer when the original agreement is given or sent to him for signature. A first copy

is not required where the agreement is neither presented personally nor sent to the

customer for signature – for example, a document which is also an application form that

a prospective customer picks up from a shop counter or from a leaflet dispenser.

Would appear to say an application can be an agreement and vica versa

Best regards

Petr

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

any comments on this it is from the Cancellation guide provided by the OFT as directed to by M55 Last week

(including, if applicable, a notice of cancellation rights) must be given or sent to the

customer when the original agreement is given or sent to him for signature. A first copy

is not required where the agreement is neither presented personally nor sent to the

customer for signature – for example, a document which is also an application form that

a prospective customer picks up from a shop counter or from a leaflet dispenser.

Would appear to say an application can be an agreement and vica versa

Best regards

Petr

Regards

Peter

Lets look at this in sequence:

a prospective customer picks up the application so he applies.

So this is the first document. and this isnt required.

The application still requires a signature on the agreement, so I cannot see how this can be enforced.

Show me where it says this in CCA - this looks contradictory from OFT. Perhaps an explanation is needed from OFT?

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm reading this that the CCP doesn't have to provide you with a copy of the agreement when it is given to you for signature, as there isn't an agreement to send, or where the customer can take two copies of the application if they so require. If you look at this with a sensible head on, can you imagine the confusion there would be if application forms came in triplicate?