How long are you liable for loan debts?

reduk054
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6261 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No, I am not being really stupid here! (honest! just trying to see if i can save myself some more money)

I will explain...I took out a loan from the Halifax ten years ago (can't even remember how much it was for and dont have any paper work any more, but loan was somewhere in the region of £10k).

I was very good :D and paid off the first few years at around £300 p/m.

Since then I have moved a couple of times, and also was paying off the loan at a reduced amount per month due to finance issues!

But, when I changed bank accounts (having sued my bank and won, and set up a parachute account), I forgot to set up the Halifax's standing order - oops!

I have received a letter from Blair, Oliver and Scott Ltd debt collectors on behalf of Halifax who have asked me for £2,253.20, as the balance.

My questions are

1) my loan was to be re-paid over 3 years but I lost my job and couldn't pay it all back, so with the debt/loan being so old, am I still liable to pay the remainder

2) I have paid back around 75% of the loan, so again am I still liable to pay the remainder?

I am sure that my answers are 1) YES, and 2) YES ;)

but if any one has any pearls of wisdom (in fact I will just take the pearls!) and can suggest any thing relating to me not having to pay off this dinosaur debt then I will be really grateful!!

Thanks Dave! I wish that you were on my trivial pursuits team ;)

I will go and read up on the Limitations Act!

Looks as if I will still owe some money then :(

thank you again!

Regards Red

Send off an SAR and CCA, stating you do not acknowledge any debt to them, and see what they coume up with.

• Haha 1

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Thank you Sequenci and Tiglet!

CCA sent today recorded with the fee.

Will keep an eye out in the post for the next 2 weeks, and then take it from there.

What if they do not reply though? Where do I take my complaint to then? (I know that I am trying to cross the bridge before it has even been built!)

Thank you all again!

Best advice, wait and see what happens. when you get a reply, post here and get some advice on what to do next.

There could be different outcomes, so wait to see what they come up with in terms of CCA and then we'll figure it out together from there.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Thank you Sequenci and Tiglet!

CCA sent today recorded with the fee.

Will keep an eye out in the post for the next 2 weeks, and then take it from there.

What if they do not reply though? Where do I take my complaint to then? (I know that I am trying to cross the bridge before it has even been built!)

Thank you all again!

Having access to your local Trading Standards might save you a little time later on :D

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

Don't forget to click my scales!

And you didn't tip my scales, you swine... (walks off in a Chardonnay induced huff)

• Haha 2

oh, it was diskmandave - spreading the love? you'll get a reputation like red!

And you didn't tip my scales, you swine... (walks off in a Chardonnay induced huff)

I have left you reputation Tiglet, but mine's a sauvignon!:smile: But, as for tipping your scales......!!!!:!:

To the post in question though...nothing from the DCA!

Ok lovely people, while I can blame the alcohol...........ahem

Can you only send CCA requests to DCAs or to the original company to whom you signed your salary to?

Thank you (hic)

Yes I know that I could probably find the info above, but laziness and double vision have crept upon me, and oh no its only Monday....

To the first helpful answer I am prepared to tip your scales/spread the love/repuation. he he he

I think red means can he/she only send the CCA to the debt collection agency or to the original creditor. I would send to the DCA as they are the ones chasing you for the debt.

ps. Hope head's ok this morning red!

I think red means can he/she only send the CCA to the debt collection agency or to the original creditor. I would send to the DCA as they are the ones chasing you for the debt.

ps. Hope head's ok this morning red!

It was the salary ref I couldn't understand.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Tiglet, thank you, I am fine!

Umm yes you have answered my DCA / CCA question!

I think in a moment of wisdom, I thought that I could send a CCA request to Lloyds for two personal loans which they reckon I owe them money on, and this one has not gone to the DCA stage yet, only the collections dept of Lloyds in Brighton who reckon that I can't have a copy of payments, mind you that was only because I asked nicely! And collections centre at Brighton dont do nicely! he he

But I really do need to know if a CCA request is valid here?

Opps hijacking my own thread ;)

Gizmo, sorry it was a joke! I jested that as soon as you sign a credit agreement that is your salary gone.!

I can see that in the cold light of a Tuesday morning, that it doesn't really make sense, but hope that it does now!