• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Zubo v Egg

zubo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Z! many thanks for your comprehensive reply. What is POC? let me know and I will get it to you. Will also dig out the original paper work and scrutinise. Won't be able to do anything until tonight.

huge thanks! CXXX

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct zubo that the copy of my alleged agreement (July 2001) was pre dated.

However, all that I was sent under my CCA request was the front of the agreement, the back of the agreement and the DD mandate.

There is no mention of default charges and I was not sent the 2001 conditions whaich are part of the agreement and if the conditions from part of the agreement, why wasn't I sent them...where are they.

I am of the opinion that mine is probably enforceable but surely, it cannot be properly executued.

Love AC

You are correct zubo that the copy of my alleged agreement (July 2001) was pre dated.

However, all that I was sent under my CCA request was the front of the agreement, the back of the agreement and the DD mandate.

There is no mention of default charges and I was not sent the 2001 conditions whaich are part of the agreement and if the conditions from part of the agreement, why wasn't I sent them...where are they.

I am of the opinion that mine is probably enforceable but surely, it cannot be properly executued.

Love AC

AC

Yes the lack of the correct TCs makes it improperly executed. Also default charges missing strengthens your case. If the front and back were different pieces of paper - how do you know they are the same one single document. The predated seems to look decidely bad - how can they predate what should be their confirmation of execution of your agreement based on your information... the more I consider this, the more I think its unenforceable.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Zubo- I`ve just got my CCa from Egg this morning. It has the same 2 pages mentioned earlier (Ref:-ECD002/2.2.09.10.00). Has the double EGG in the t.r.h. corner of the 1St page?This was dated by me 16/10/02 and dated 13/10/02 (3 days earlier?)by Az Alibhai . Is his a pre-printed sig. Also there is no info. on default charges within the CCA- yet they charged me 2X£20 for `Overlimit Charges`? They state that with the CCA came Egg Credit Card Agreement Conditions which they refer back to when the Default Notice was issued. However when they offered a loan to settle the Egg Card there was 3 pages of T & C`s within it.

Any thoughts on this?

Any feeling that I`ve helped you today- then add to my reputation and click those scales!

Zubo, looking at your page 1... you have name, and address on the first page, and both are blank... therefore the document does not have all the prescribed terms, and is unenforceable.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Zubo, looking at your page 1... you have name, and address on the first page, and both are blank... therefore the document does not have all the prescribed terms, and is unenforceable.

He's just blocked them out for security.

He's just blocked them out for security.

Doh! mr thick-o, lol;)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

Zubo- I`ve just got my CCa from Egg this morning. It has the same 2 pages mentioned earlier (Ref:-ECD002/2.2.09.10.00). Has the double EGG in the t.r.h. corner of the 1St page?This was dated by me 16/10/02 and dated 13/10/02 (3 days earlier?)by Az Alibhai . Is his a pre-printed sig. Also there is no info. on default charges within the CCA- yet they charged me 2X£20 for `Overlimit Charges`? They state that with the CCA came Egg Credit Card Agreement Conditions which they refer back to when the Default Notice was issued. However when they offered a loan to settle the Egg Card there was 3 pages of T & C`s within it.

Any thoughts on this?

The essence of my and everyone else's disputes appear to be:

(i) the agreement appears to be reconstructed - I have never signed a two page document and will seek to see the original, I am of the opinion that the document I signed with Egg was an agreement but an application.

(ii) they have not provided the T&Cs which were issued at the time.

(iii) there is no mention of Default Notices

Finally I have asked them to prove to me that Az Alibhai was employed by Egg and authorised to sign the alleged agreement - after all it does sound like the agreement itself - reconstructed - who on earth would have a name which sounds like alibi?

Oh, and also IF this was signed by Egg pre-dated than what does that mean? It cannot possibly be pre-approved, so it is a precontractual document, and subject to new documents - THE agreement returned to me with their signature and for me to sign.

Right thats about it.

I have been sent a pre-trial letter - more likely another frightener.

Well I will put these points and ask Egg to comment yet again and remind them again that they are in default and send the complaint to OFT.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zubo, I'm still going through all this with Egg, who now have Hillesden acting for them. In my opinion, there's nothing they can do until they AT LEAST fully comply with S78, and that means that they must send the terms and conditions applicable at the time the account was opened.

The results of my SAR brought some interesting internal messages showing the guy who was dealing with my complaint frantically contacting other departments within Egg looking for those T&Cs. I've never had them, so am pretty sure they can't find them. To me this will be a complete defence to any court claim, as they remain in default of S78.

This is in addition to all of the points you've raised above. I would suggest, too, that the pre-trial letter is just one more attempt to scare you.

Remember, as well, to keep shoving threats of a counterclaim for S85 at them. They will be terrified of losing a counterclaim on this basis as it could potentially cost them millions. Look carefully, too, at the two pages as on mine it would appear that they type font is different on each one, which would be extremely strange for what is supposed to be a single document.

Also, there is a statement that the agreement would only be binding on them when they have completed their final checks. This may be challengeable, then, as a void agreement as it purports to bind you to a future regulated agreement.

Hm... Looking at it, does anyone see "Total Charge For Credit" anywhere?

Don't think that needs to be there for running account credit. How could they tell you the total charge, it would depend on how much you spent/monthly payments etc. That only needs to be there for fixed sum credit, like loans.

Don't think that needs to be there for running account credit. How could they tell you the total charge, it would depend on how much you spent/monthly payments etc. That only needs to be there for fixed sum credit, like loans.

Well... I'm going by http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_credit/oft786a.pdf p38, "The 2004 Regulations amend the requirements in relation to the ‘total charge for credit, rate of interest etc’ – Sch 1 paras 9 and 10. All credit agreements (other than fixed-sum agreements under which the total amount payable does not exceed the total cash price) must now state the total charge for credit (TCC). This must appear as part of ‘Other Financial Information’. "

Could this be 2 seperate documents?

They produce the 1st with the terms of the Interest then the second page (which could be the reverse as Egg do print on both sides as per my Loan Terms and Conditions) does have a different font which could be the application?

Any feeling that I`ve helped you today- then add to my reputation and click those scales!

Well... I'm going by http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_credit/oft786a.pdf p38, "The 2004 Regulations amend the requirements in relation to the ‘total charge for credit, rate of interest etc’ – Sch 1 paras 9 and 10. All credit agreements (other than fixed-sum agreements under which the total amount payable does not exceed the total cash price) must now state the total charge for credit (TCC). This must appear as part of ‘Other Financial Information’. "

From the OFT guidance on what an agreement must contain:

5 In the case of all running-account agreements, instead of giving details of the total

charge for credit as in point 4 above, the details to be shown are the rate of any

interest on the credit provided under the agreement and the total amount of other

credit charges (for example, a commitment fee).

Hi,

I'm in the same situation so will subscribe and help. I too have the 2 page agreement. Interestingly the assignemt document specifacally states which part of the T&C's they've assigned it under. Hey err... I CCA'd you and didn't get those. I strongly believe if this were argued in court a judge would want to see those T&C's.

You could also argue against such things as interest being added as well. My egg account is with Caqpest and the interest they are adding is phenomenal. They will say they have the right to under the agreement. Well go ahead then and show me.

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread as I feel the details are identical. Feel free to link to other threads as well.

Letter From Egg

Letter From Caqpest

Page 1 Of Agreement

Page 2 Of Agreement

Notice the letter from Egg and capquest are the same font, use the same barcode and have the identicle info in the top left.

Again also only a 2 page agreement.

• 4 weeks later...

Within the new thread `Agreement Enforceability`- within` General`, it is stating this:-

The Egg agreements don't need cancellation rights as there was no face to face discussion between creditor and debtor prior to the signing of the agreement. Therefore, they are non-cancellable agreements

This thread goes into a lot of details on this subject- very interesting!

What does anybody think of this actual post from Ian?

rich, it's not really my statement. The links I posted show what it and isn't a cancellable agreement. In terms of our Egg agreements, did we have face to face discussions with Egg before signing the agreements. No we didn't, therefore it is not a cancellabe agreement.

It's fact, not just my opinion.

Lets alter the word `statement` to `post`- because that`s what I meant.

After all the hard work you have put in on the thread, I certainly wouldn`t then assume it was your opinion. The guidance is all there from the OFT.

Now it`s up to the individuals who have agreements through Egg and other lenders to see which criteria theirs falls into.

There would be quite a few people on this thread who will be surprised at the guidance which states that there actually ARE non- cancellable agreements.

Have now updated post 93 Ian for your records- no offence intended-honest!

I cannot recall the debates we had on cancellable or non, Peter B was always my best guide.

However, I don't recall that cancellation details was an issue - what WAS an issue was the lack of mention of Default procedures and that IS a prescribed term as I recall.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cannot recall the debates we had on cancellable or non, Peter B was always my best guide.

However, I don't recall that cancellation details was an issue - what WAS an issue was the lack of mention of Default procedures and that IS a prescribed term as I recall.

Z

Default charges are a required term, not a prescribed term.

• 1 month later...