Can Nationwide legally do this?

SPK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all I have posted this in the Nationwide forum but it has no replies and I am desperately seeking some advice on this matter. Thanks for your time.

icon1.gif Re: Old Fella vrs Nationwide

Hi, right we have a problem!

1: Nationwide have paid his charges back but......

Before they paid him back they gave the debt to Moorcroft debt recovery ( no problem) i rang them and negoiated a deal so he didnt have to pay the whole debt! like 500 pound less! they have put this in writing.

2: Old bloke hasnt a card for his account and goes into the branch to see how to get money and was told with no card you can draw 50 a day till your new card comes through.

3. They ring him today to say that he can have 500 pound but they are keeping the rest as that was his overdraft ( but they gave the debt to Moorcroft) is this illegal?

What do we do now please. Any help really appreciated. Thanks

SPK

i see there are a lot of views to this post but no replies.

I honestly wouldnt know where to start, hang on, im sure someone with more knowledge will come along!

Hang in there!

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

SPK

You need to give a bit more detail so we can understand whats going on. Its seems you're dad's account has been passed to a debt collector and is still operating? Thats a bit confusing as I'd have thought they would have to default him prior to this, which in effect would end the account's normal operation.

Can you clarify please?

Hi, right I will try to explain a bit better than my husband has!!:) The old man is his work colleague, who we have just managed to get bank charges back for him from Nationwide. Nationwide passed on a £1500 debt to a debt collecting agency whom my husband has been dealing with on behalf of his colleague. He had just managed to do a deal with the debt collecting agency to pay them back £1000 instead of £1500 which they accepted and are putting in writing (in post). When the person who's account it is went into nationwide to draw the money, he was told that he can only have £500 to draw out and that they are keeping the rest as he owed them!! But they had passed the debt on to the collecting agency that have already made a deal to just accept the £1000!! How can they aquire the debt back like this? It doesn't seem very ethical to stitch the old man up like this!! He's 62 and doesn't have a penny to his name:( By the way this all happened in the course of two days. Money went in bank, debt collecting agency agreed to amount offered the same day the money went into the account, next day nationwide said the debt is theirs again??

Oh and the other thing is he got £2000 back and nationwide are saying he owes them the £1500 and not the debt collecting agency. Oh god I hope somebody understands my ramblings!!