Sunshine vs Abbey

sunshine123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6285 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Well I have just sent off the first letter to Abbey on behalf of my boyfriend to reclaim £4067.

Getting really nervous after reading that Abbey can be a bt 'difficult' to get the money back from, but I still think it's worth a shot!

I'll keep you posted

Guest louis wu

Sunshine, hi and welcome to CAG.

I am not sure what donthateme means in his/her post, but dont worry about that!

You will find everything you need here to conduct a successful claim, it may take a while, but if you follow the standard, tried and tested, method, you should be okay.

The best advice I can give at the moment is to get as much knowledge as possible about the process you are embarking upon. Read the FAQs and look atas many threads as possible (apologies if you have already done this......but it will pay dividends later, even if you read everything twice)

The thing that will really help is this. Understand WHAT you are doing, and WHY you are doing it.

Best of luck with this and keep us posted. I will keep an eye out for you and help if I can. (for what its worth, just had my 1st cheque from Abbey for just over £2000, and if I can do it, so can you)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Louis Wu it nice to have some positive feedback!

I recieved a letter from Abbey at the weekend, claiming it will take 4 weeks for them to investigate blah blah blah

I'm waiting until Monday to send the LBA off as that is the 14 day deadline. I was also considering sending a complaint form to the financial ombudsman as i've heard reports it has helped with claims....does anyone have any advice with this?

Lisa

Guest louis wu

Hi Lisa

Don't send it yet, as you are still in discussion with Abbey. When this 14 days is over, you will begin your legal action, and IMO this is the time to conact the FO, although, again IMO, it wont make much difference to your claim, as you will be doing things much faster than them.

You are doing fine at the moment, stick to your deadline, and don't be intimidated by any Abbey responces.

Keep posting, you will get loads of positive feedback (even if its just me), and help is on hand.

It never hurts to keep refreshing yourself as to what happens next, as Abbey wont cave in immediately, but as always, its just a matter of time.

Best of luck

HI Sunshine - just to reinterate Louis words, the Information Commissioner is currently receiving about 5k of complaints per day, you are better off persuing through the courts - at the deadline that YOU set, not them :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi

Well the deadline for Abbey expires today so I have sent off the 'letter before action' and am now filling in the complaint form to the FO (wouldn't want to be making empty threats in my letter to them!)

I'm going to start reading up on the next stages again as I think this may be where things get tricky!

I'll keep you posted

Morning everyone

I am hoping someone can help me with a query I have. Because of the bank charges abbey applied to my boyfriend's account (to give you an example just one month was £962 in unpaid direct debit charges!) He was forced into an overdraft. He subsequently closed his abbey account. Due to his business going bust he hired a debt management company to negotiate payments with various company's, one of which was Abbey who were 'owed' £2000 ie the overdraft amount they forced my boyfriend into because of all the charges.

He now makes regular payments to the debt managment company and they divide the amount between all the companies.

The point i'm trying to get to is whether this will affect the claim we are trying to make?

If someone could advise I would greatly appreciate it

hi sunshine if you can, get a hold of zooman he's the expert on debt problems. Also have a look at the debt section you might have some answrs there. My feeling is that if your boyfriend is already paying back an agreed overdraft then as long as he is keeping up the payments, they can't take the money he will be given from the charges.

hopethis helps

Hi

I recieved another letter from Abbey in response to my first preliminary letter saying that they have looked into the details of the account and they do feel they have acted fairly as there were insufficient funds in the account etc and if I do not get back to them they will assume the matter closed. Is this a standard 'get lost' letter?

I have already sent them the LBA letter which I assume they have not recieved yet.

Any advise at this stage would be greatly recieved

Thanks

Guest louis wu

Hi sunshine,

Everything is going exactly to plan, just as Lula says. Abbeys responce is a nice satndard one, and your next step is to start the ball rolling with the courts, sounds scary, but it isn't, and feels good when its done.

Your doing great, stick with it and you'll get back everything thats rightfully yours, in fact, its just like Abbey have had it in a savings account for you, paying 8% interest.

Regards

Louis