Swift Couriers / Ruthbridge - Warning & advice needed!

DanP1973
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Around 3 weeks ago I got a letter from Swift Couriers stating they had tried to deliver a parcel but no one had been home so could I call to arrange a more convenient time. As I was waiting for a couple of things from Ebay it didn’t seem too strange so I did so. Arranged a time and also left them my mobile number just in case they had any further problems.

When the guys didn't turn up I got a bit suspicious and didn't call back. Then, a few days ago, I get a call from a very serious sound woman Marie / Mary Peters from Ruthbridge re a 10 yr old debt from an old MBNA card I haven't even used for at least 6 yrs, stating they had sent me 5 letters and that they hadn't had any contact. I requested that all communication be done in writing and that they should actually try to send me a letter outlining the alleged debt and I would get back to them.

Anyway letter arrives on Sat and guess what? Ruthbridge and Swift Couriers are both based out of 43-45 Broad St. TW11 8QZ.

I’m not all that worried about this as its statue barred, so I’m just gonna go ahead and CCA they them.

However should I report either Swift / Ruthbridge cos Swift has obviously passed on my details to them?

When I write to them with a CCA should I remind them that the alleged debt would be statute barred by now anyway?

Any advice on the content of the letter and whether I should report these guys to the ICO, OFT, TS etc would be great

If you haven't received a parcel from Swift since then, write to them saying

that you are expecting a valuable package and you are getting concerned

that they have made no further attempt to deliver it. Ask when you can

expect delivery.

Next, get copies of your credit files from the three credit agencies to confirm

there has been no action on that account. There is a letter to send

Ruthbridge that the debt is out of date, but if there is nothing on your

credit files, they can't do much as the debt will be statute barred.

Wait till Swift come back to you about the parcel they have lost before

starting with Trading Standards.

Good advice as usual! LOL! Will love to see what Swift come back with.....

I got my credit reports last week and nothing was showing for these guys. Should I then tell them it SB (via letter) or just send them the CCA?

As it appears to be out of date so they cannot take you to Court-or even

pursue you at all, I would be inclined to let them write to you again if they

want. It's all ammo to hand over to TS when Swift reply.

Wouldn't waste time with the CCA-send them the out of date one-but not till

Swift can be seen to be involved.

• Haha 1

http://http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

Just did a Data Processing Search on both Ruthbridge and Swift and turns out that Swift dont have a licence at all. Ruthbridge do but for an address in Putney not Twickenham.

Should I also report Swift to the ICO? And do Ruthbridge need to have the licence from their 43-45 Broad Street address rather than the Putney one?

I looked at that too.

The position is that a company should register using their registered address,

which is not necessarily the address they work out of. But even if they

have not used the correct address, the ICO takes the view that at least they have notified them which is what the Act requires. [it isn't, the Act requires

them to notify the ICO using their registered address ].

As far as Swift is concerned, they may not need to register with the ICO

normally. Perhaps how [if] they reply to your query, will help.

Mr XXXXXX

XXXX Road.

Etc

Swift Deliveries

43-45 Broad Street

TW11 8QZ

0870 1611118

Your Ref: XXXXXXX

19th February 2007

Dear Carol Adams,

As you will see from the enclosed letter I was contacted by you on the 2nd of Feb 2007 to inform me that you had a “2 kg package” that you had attempted to deliver on the previous Tuesday.

I am urgently expecting a valuable delivery and so I called and left my number to call back. Steve then returned my call and informed me it would be delivered the following Monday (5th of Feb) between 6pm and 7pm.

This delivery was never made and I’m concerned that no further attempts have been made to deliver it and that the parcel may now have been lost.

Please inform me of your misplaced parcel procedures and customer guarantees on this matter.

Yours sincerely

Dan

According to the below piece, Swift is the tracing 'brand' for Ruthbridge - can't see how the letters have been OK'd by OFT as surely posing as a delivery company to solicit information is covered by the OFT section regarding communicating with debtors in a misleading fashion?

Not A [problem] - Review of Ruthbridge Ltd, Broad Street, London

Swift is in deed the trace side of Ruthbridge Ltd and express delivery letters to the Occupier are from the debt collection side, but these are only sent if the company is unaware of the current occupiers details, this is not a [problem] as there will always be a delivery of some form of correspondence for somebody who probably lived at the address some time before.

The reason you may get these types of letters is because the company deals in very old debt and therefore their clients will prob have supplied old information.

The tel number quoted for Express Delivery is not a premium line number.

Both types of letter have been ok'd by the office of fair trading.

I note this was posted by "an ex employee"...... Sounds like a current one to me.

Ive also found a Swift Deliveries based in Doncaster. Odds on they have no connection. I will be giving them a call and making sure they understand that a disreputable DCA is using their name as a front for such activities.

Keep you posted

Hi

We received the same letter only the other day. My husband phoned them questioning the delivery, as we too were expecting a delivery, the bloke he spoke said that he was unable to access the information but if we give him our phone number he would get back to us. My husband told them that he would get back to them (our number is ex directory and we only give it out to people we know). My husband rang them back only to be told expect delivery the following day

I took no notice of the letter but when our 2kg package failed to arrive I looked at the letter and noted that no name was on the letter just the address then alarm bells started to ring. Reading on here I was right.

Is this normal practice to send out only to the address as this has alarmed me as I have no reason for these sort of people (if you can call them that) should be chasing me.

:(

Just got another one through this time from "Express Deliveries" (how stupid are these people?) so called them (withheld my number) and refused to give him the ref number until he gave me some more info.

I said "Why would I want to give you any information. You could be anyone? And having looked up your address you’re on the same site as Ruthbridge, a DCA. How does that work?"

"They’re our parent company"

"So your warehouse is shared with a DCA's offices?"

"Yes"

(In the background I then hear a bloke going through his Ruthbridge intimidation spiel)

"And from the sounds of it you share the same call centre as well.

Is it Express Deliveries, as you answered the phone, Express Delivery, as on this letter, or Swift Deliveries, who also share your address? And are you registered at companies house"

"Look mate. If you give me the reference then I'll give you some more information."

"Why should I do that? I don’t know who you are! And why is this letter addressed to The Occupier?"

"Cos we don’t know your name"

"But you’ve got a parcel for me haven’t you?"

"Yes"

"Well how many times to you get parcels sent to you with no name on them? Does anyone send you parcels, not letters, but parcels without knowing your name"

"I don’t know I’m eeerrr…..just a driver"

"The drivers answer the phones in the call centre"

"Sir. I'll see if a manager is available"

Waits for 5 mins. I think they thought I'd go away. Then another bloke comes on.

"Sir can I have your reference?"

"No. Can you tell me why you’re pretending to be 2 different deliver companies, when you are in fact a DCA? And if you are a delivery company why are you passing on private information without a Data Processing Licence"

"We'll still find out you know"

"What?"

"We're still gonna find out who you are and take you to court"

"So you’re not a Deliver Company then?"

Phone put down. Waited 5 mins. Called them back, the "Driver" answers, reminded him of our conversation and told him that I was in fact an Investigative Journalist for the BBC Watchdog show and would he or his seniors like to comment on the conversation we'd just had?"

Said "s**t" put me on hold.... I gave up after 5mins cos there was no way he was going to pick me up again.

Hope I’ve really f**ked up his weekend!!!