Burton Store Card

PhilipR
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is in the wrong place; usual disclaimer - I'm not altogether au fait with every nook and cranny of this message board and this seems the best place to put it.

I got a Burton's card, promised 20% off every time I bought stuff from there etc so went for it. No problem, paid it off, forgot about it. Then I bought a suit, put it on the card (they're very insistent you put it on cards etc as opposed to paying by cash!) and forgot about it.

The plan was to pay it off as soon as possible and just benefit from the discount. And then I moved address! I did have mail redirection for three months but never received a letter from them and forgot I had the account. When i recently applied for a loan, I was told that I was behind on this account and that was why I was turned down for credit.

I just rang Burtons who have advised that the account has been passed on to "another company" (so a debt collection agency - hurrah!) to collect the money and gave me the number.

I haven't rung them yet, but it would seem I am four months behind on this account and will obviously need to pay it shortly.

I am going to ring them shortly, advise them of my new address and will tell them i will pay on payday, which is the 28th of this month.

So far, quite straightforward. I know I was silly to forget about the account and not update them on the address, but hey - I'll sort it as soon as i can and no doubt have to pay an extra charge on top. I need some advice, however on how this will affect my credit rating - I imgine it's kncoked it for six anyway, so far, but do I now have a default on my account? Will it take longer than the usual 6 months to sort out? Very confused and pretty worried, especially as in about 18 months time, I'm hoping to look into buying my first house...!

Any help would be appreciated, and mods, by all means pop this somewhere more suitable/appropriate if need be.

Many thanks in advance.

I believe that defaults stay on your credit file for six years - you could claim back any charges they've levied on your account, anyway and possibly push for removing the default. If it's been passed on to a DCA I would imagine you have been defaulted, but Burtons could tell you this. If not, get a copy of your credit file ASAP to check!

A+L - £950 settled in full.

Bank of Scotland - MCOL filed 9 Jan for £1500

Bank of Scotland (for parents) - £5000 settled in full October 06

Bank of Scotland (mum's account) £1900 settled in full November 06

Intelligent Finance: DPA non compliance sent 26 Jan

• 10 months later...

Hi, just a quick point or two.

1. Have you tried simply paying the correct amount into Burtons bank account for store cards, and then contacting them to advise it has been paid?? If you do that, they are required to call the DCA and advise that they have had the full payment and that the DCA MUST lift any details they have registered with you. Burtons may not, but usually they dont do it anyway and pass it on to a third party. It doesnt sound like you have been subject to a CCJ or Warrant.

2. The DCA will have "bought" your debt, and thus, if you contact them and offer to pay it off, DO NOT pay the full amount. EVER.

Burtons have already written it off, and have probably accepted less than half of the amount. The DCA will accept a lot less too, especially if you contact them out of the blue, and they havent spent much on finding you.

Good luck, but sadly this will affect you unless you pay it and can prove it, the get onto either the experian website or one of the others and log a resolution and dispute against any logged defaults or judgements against this debt.

Hi Philip

First off, I would not ring them - I'd put everything in writing.

Second - it is likely that there are extra charges put onto this account by the DCA and I'd want to find out about those before I paid - after all, you want to pay all and only what you owe, don't you? So I'd consider finding out about these before you make a full and final settlement, and we can help you with that.

Do you remember how much the suit was? And do you know what the DCA is asking for?

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)