• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BJ vs HBOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a thread running in the Halifax forum, but just found this one and hope i will get more info.

I phoned and received all my statements in December.

Sent my initial letter on the 16th of January for £2300

LBA & Copy of initial letter emailed on 31st January

Automatic email response received 1st February

I have still not had any correspondance from HBOS, no standard letters, no acknowledgement at all.

How should proceed from here?

Also am i going to have to raise 2 summary causes? 1 for £1500 and another for the difference?

I have since had another 6 x £39 since i sent the first letter , so does that mean that i can claim them as well wen i get to the court action stage?

Sorry to appear stupid,any advice would be appreciated :)

16th Jan - initial letter sent

31st Jan- lba and copy of 1st letter emailed

1st Feb - email read by sarah worboys, but not ackowledged nor replied

15th Feb- emailed a courtesay letter reminding them of pending court action

19th Feb- missed phone call from hbos

20th feb - recvd offer for 1423, rejected by phone and offered full 2751

Hi BJ.

BOS totaly ignored my LBA so I went to court. You should wait until the 14 days are up then file your court papers. I'm sure you can claim for the further charges, I have, but have to wait untill March to see if I get them.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Yes, you would have to raise 2 seperate summary cause actions for this claim. Unless you can do it through MCOL using an English correspondance address?

A+L - £950 settled in full.

Bank of Scotland - MCOL filed 9 Jan for £1500

Bank of Scotland (for parents) - £5000 settled in full October 06

Bank of Scotland (mum's account) £1900 settled in full November 06

Intelligent Finance: DPA non compliance sent 26 Jan

Unfortunatley i dont know anybody in England , but i dont mind doing 2 sets of claims, because they will pay it back anyway, money is very tight just now so could have done without paying twice though.

has anybody else been completely ignored by there bank? im a bit worried i have had no correspondance from halifax at all

grrrr i have still had no response from haliprats.......i might call them on monday see if they have anything to say before i lodge my smmary cause papers !!!

looking for a bit of help with my spreadsheet.....thisis how the bottom of it looks, im just a bit confused why there is a blank space for the interest

£2,751.00 £527.42

TOTAL CLAIMED AT DATE OF SERVICE: £3,278.42

JUDICIAL INTEREST AT CURRENT RATE OF 8% £0.00

TOTAL CLAIMED AT DATE OF JUDGEMENT OR PAYMENT £3,278.42

can anyone help with the formula needed in the judicial interest column.

thank you

Hi BJ, The judicial rate is added by the court if you win which I'm sure you will.

It is calculated from the date when you hand in your summary clause form to the date the case ends.

Hope this helps

Good Luck..................

• Haha 1

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

BOS Credit Card...........................Hearing Date 07/02/07

Full Settlement..............................13/02/07

BOS Bank Account .........................total charges £8,655.92

1st offer..............................................£1620.00 01/12/06 Rejected

2nd offer.............................................£3255.00 03/01/07 Rejected

Summary Action victory.................£1499.02 22/03/07

Full and Final offer............................£7,200 19/04/07

Pict...............

thank you :D

i was due to raise action today but didnt get a chance.....my daughter took a call this morning from someone at bank, she said i was in bed could she take a number/name and i would call back, they gave name but no number and said they will write to me!!!! I am so mad for missing the call, but we shall see what comes in the post before i start court action :D

Received offer letter today for £1423....along with name and phone number to call if this didnt resolve my complaint.

I called them and told them it didnt resolve it at all.

After rubbish lecture about managing my account and advising me the unlawful ruling only applies to credit cards and as a goodwill gesture they would raise my offer to 2100, again i said thanks but no thanks.

He then agreed to pay the full amount of £2751, so ammended my ofer letter to say new amount and its in post back to them.

I wont celebrate till its in the bank though, but i think i have won :D:D

Hang in there everybody :D

Congrats!!

Great news for you. I think the fact there has been a lot in the news today about bank charges has given the banks a kick up the backside!

my first small claims has been served on HBOS today... i have roughly £2500 and was only offered £600 which i rejected... but i was told to shove it by the bank...or words to that effect! So i have filed with the sheriff court. Im hoping that the bank think im serious and offer me the lot after the first case... fingers crossed!

Anyway looks like you got them told!

Good for you!

** BOS claim 1 filed 5th Feb - awaiting outcome**

i forgot to mention, apart from initial letter which i posted, every other bit of correspondance has been via email, with copies being sent to chief exec at same time, i dont know of this helped push them into action or not.

[email protected]

[email protected]

these are the 2 emails i sent to :D

there is a pattern that emerges - BOS do nowt until they are pushed / nudged a little - they react differently to each case - not sure if that's to put us of tho'

Halifax - paid out without getting to court - £250 WON - no intention of going, stated too costly!!

Halifax no 2 account - paid out without a fight - (by mistake, £1650 - should have been £1200 - had to pay some back)

Superb BJ,

Well done, makes my day when I hear when 'the wee guy wins'.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hope I am not hijacking this thread - if so, please advise what I should be doing.

I am helping my daughter to try and recover charges on her credit card - a mixture of overlimit fees - £552 - and late payment charges/fees - £345.

BOS CC refunded £287 after my first call to them. Subsequent correspondence and LBA has resulted in them offering a further £161.50 - total of £448.50 "represent 50% of charges since the account was opened.

I tried a friendly call to get them to increase the offer but was told this was final.

Before preparing the court papers, can anyone confirm if we are entitled to recover the repayment insurance as well. I have calculated it at £8 - not a lot, but it the principal.

I have calculated the interest due on the total amount at £404.65, using a rate of 21.26%, on the period August 02 to current date. The final transactions were processed in October 06.

Finally, I had tried to settle this "amicably" in August 06, offering to clear the balance on the account. Further interest charges were added totalling £57.62 and I have a letter from one of the Customer service team agreeing that I had tried to settle and offering to refund this as part of the settlement.

Do I include this in the claim as well?

Any guidance appreciated.

I would go ahead and present your court papers, however i would personally not try for 21.26%, i think the statutory amount that people have been getting is 8% at the court stage.

Add any extra charges since you started the action should be added.

Im fairly new to all this but this is how i would proceed.

Hope this helps :D

this is only my opinion, its your claim, you follow your instincts !

Thanks for the guidance - the "high" rate of interest is based on what I calculated they were charging on the credit card, so I think it should be ok to use. I assume that I will add the "judicial" rate to the claim.

Should I move this to a thread of my own?

I have been struggling to understand this.

• 4 weeks later...