style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a leasehold flat that I am in the process of selling for £115,000. The lease will have 68 years remaining on the 28th of march this year and the landload wants £12,000 to renew it. I was more than a bit shocked to discover this and feel that it is far too much money. I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1/ Is this a normal amount to renew a lease? If not what is a normal amount?

2/ Is there anything I can do to get a lower price? At the moment I am tempted to keep hold of the flat for the next 68years and rent it out. The Lanlord only bought the Freehold in Dec 2005 and is obviously looking for a quick return.

3/ The alternative I gues is to purchase the freehold with the other leasehodlers. Who sets the price for this? Would it be the landlord again?

I feel very trapped here as i can not sell the flat unless somebody is willing to take on the lease and nobody will with a cost of £12,000 to renew it. If I pay the £12,000 it wil not considerably increase the value fo the flat.

Help!

I would be surprised if it did not increase the value. 68 years is quite low, and below the 80 years "marriage value" threshold, so I would expect it to be fairly expensive.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

KieronP,I have one question for you:

Is this amount for you to pay(£12,000) for your share of the freehold with the other leaseholders or commonhold pro rata basis or just to renew the lease on your flat on a stand alone basis?Please Clarify.

The answer to this question should enable me hopefully to assist you further.