• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Kev vs The Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After long, painful and unhelpful conversations with the Halifax the time has come for me to take action.

I have over 60 hours of recorded calls. Proof that the Halifax CC dept withdrew funds illegally from my current account.

Proof that the Halifax CC dept REFUSED to accept a payment from Halifax Insurance Ireland when I claimed. and the list goes on...

Proof that the Halifax CC dept recieved details from the CAB that they couldn't read but rather than contact me or the CAB, they decided that they were in reciept of complete details, froze all of my accounts and caused even more problems.

In short, the unreasonable charges of one department led to significant cascading charges on my other current accounts, credit cards and mortgage.

And yes ... Halifax also messed up my credit reference.

Today I am sending of my DPA subject access request for details of all of my accounts. And no, I'm not messing about and I will go to court. It's not that I need the details of my charges ... I want to see if the 'manual intervention' records actually reflect what my records calls prove I said.

I even had a 'head office helper' tell me on the record that it was 'Halifax policy not to talk to anyone who was recording calls' - I know it's not true and I did get confirmation about that at a later date.

I have numerous questions and over the coming days I'll be asking for help and advice here as well as keeping you all up to date and giving you all as much encouragement as I have had reading others posts.

My first questions are:

1. Can I claim back the charges applied to my mortgage account as a result of funds not being available in the current account because Halifax took their 'charges' first?

2. Is 'maual intervention' the notes made during my various conversations with telephone advisors.

3. Is it worth claiming for damages on top of my charges as this will take me well over the small claims limit?

Stay tuned all and .... watch out Halifax

Kev

My Thread The Halifax gave me xtra OK - Now I want it back!

Update: Well I've been to the post office, bought myself a £10 postal order and sent off my DPA subject access request letter by recorded delivery.

Total cost £11.88 ( + one envelope and two sheets of paper :) )

Time taken in total to write, walk, queue and post - 1 hr 14 mins - Can I claim compensation for my time?

Kev

somehow i think you might just be pushing your luck with that one..! ;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I hope they do go the whole hog and take it to court. I want to get my charges plus interest first and then after that I want to get compensation for lost time, harrasment and one broken phone :)

I won't be including time at this stage but if I can, I will push hard after I've got my charges back.

At least I hope I can ?

Kev

Hi Kev,

Just thought I would update you, Halifax have confirmed (3 times) that they have received my SAR and that statments will be due sometime next week. The only reason I was calling was that Royal mails website was saying the letter still hasn't been signed for, royal mail are now sending me £3.00 worth of 1st class stamps as an offer of goodwill!! Hope the Halifax will be more generous!!!!

Mousey

Good for you Mousey! If only every organisation were as fair as the Royal Mail huh?

For anyone else reading I could do with some advice please.

Now that my S.A.R is in the post I'm using the time that Halifax will give me ( :) ) to put together my case and spreadsheets.

Where I have a number of current accounts, mortgage, CC's and loans etc that were all affected by the wrongful charges applied, I want to claim my charges back on every account I have with the Halifax.

Q1. Do I make a request and bundle all of the charges for all accounts in to one claim - with breakdowns - or do I prepare to submit claims for the individual accounts?

Note: In total all accounts will take me well over the 5K threshold.

Q2. I have decided to claim contratual interest and Over the years where I have stood my ground I have had some of the charges they made refunded to my account. When I am putting my spreadsheet together do I include these charges and show the repayment else where (at the end) or do I add the charges in date order?

Note: The reason for asking is that although some of the charges were refunded they were refunded after the 'unauthorised over limit fees and interest' were applied and I lost out.

Q3. I have read in the forums that when claiming contractual interest that we should use the prevailing rate at the time I make my claim. This makes good sense but ... the halifax lowered their interest rates on sept 15th 2005

Current rates: Interest rates and charges - Halifax UK

Previous Rates: Interest rates and charges - Halifax UK

If I claim at the todays lower rate they get away with it for the higher amount they charged prior to sep 15 2005.

So should I claim at the higher rate for the whole amount or do I need to break down my claim?

Q4. At what point do I claim for damages and the time I wasted trying to get the mess that Halifax caused sorted out. Bear in mind that I have over 60 hours of admissible recorded evidence to back up my claim?

Thanks

Kev

UPDATE: The Royal Mail website tracking system shows my SAR was delivered on the 27/1 :)

Roll on March 7th

I am very interested if 'manual intervention' will include all of the notes that should have been made every time I telephoned them.

Are they duty bound to provide these?

Kev

Hi Mousey,

Nope. Haven't rec'd squat from the halifux - and to be fair I didn't expect too.

They are a disorganised rabble and deserve everything coming their way.

Like you I have PROOF of reciept from Royal Mail :) - If halicrap can't get thier heads round how to organise things, it's their problem, not ours.

Personally I have 99% of my statements so I can work with that and on day 33 :) I will send a reminder letter to them outlining the court action that I will be taking if I don't get EVERYTHING within the time frame perscribed by law :)

If you NEED your statements send them another letter again by recorded delivery.

Above all don't panic - we are in the right - just keep up a nice gentle pressure on them.

Kev

Well well well .. 12 days down the line and still not even a letter confirming that the people who give you xtra have rec'd my SAR. Am I surprised ? No.

I still have a few question above that I could do with some suggestions on. The main one being can I make one claim for all of my accounts with halifax. i.e. the current account and the credit cards - is it best to put in multiple claims.

thanks

Kev

Hi Kev

Received my confirmation of receipt of the SAR last week, today received statments, all 6 years worth - hightlighter at the ready, when I get a chance!! Just had 2 days off work, that would have been nice time to do it, but never mind - concerned already about the spreadsheets etc, I have never been able to grasp them!!! I would give them a quick call, I rang a couple of times - let me know how you get on.

Mousey

Mousey try not to worry about the spread sheets. If you need any help just shout, they look harder than they are.;)

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Funny enough, Today I just rec'd notification from 'them' that they had my SAR. The funny thing was, I don't think they bother reading the requests any more. It was the word IF in the sentence "If you requested information relating to manual intervention on your account, I regret HBOS plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information ...." blah blah, bleat bleat.

It took them a while and a call from me to get this far ....

But I'm sure I read somewhere here that they do have an obligation ... and I'm really sure that every time I called them, one of the 'agents' made a note on my account record. This was stored within a computer system and hbos should at least make an effort to let me have that personal information?

Sea Sidelady: Any pointers on should I make one big claim or do it in little bits. I'm tempted to wrap it all up in one claim?

thanks

Kev

You should do the credit card seperate, you can put the accounts together, but i know some people like to keep them seperate as not to confuse them selves.

I have 2 accounts and did them seperate.

1 has been paid and im fighting for the second which is over £5k.

It is up to you which is the best for you.

You are best waiting until all your statements arrive and you can see exactly where you are.

F&Q's... Read here

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mousey and everyone else,

Things seem to be heading in the right direction (so far)

The statements are dibbling through the letter box a bit at a time and get this ... you'll all love it ... :)

I was asked to be reasonable by 'them' - in particular their Data Control team ...

Here's the story.

I sent the standard SAR to them on the 24/1

On the 12th Feb I got a letter back from them which was along the lines of:

Thank you for your letter requesting specific information on your accounts with us .......... blah blah

If you requested information relating to manual intervention on your account, I regret HBOS is under no statutory obligation .... blah blah.

Needless to say I wasn't happy with this :) And I wrote back to them.

snip >

Referring to your letter dated dd mm yyyy you appear to be under the impression that I only wanted information relating to some of the accounts I hold or have held with your organisation. This is not the case – I would like a complete list of transactions, charges and details of any manual intervention relating to my banking history with you. The reason I included # of my account numbers that I hold with your organisation was so you could quickly verify and cross-reference my request.

I am also concerned that your letter indicates that you are refusing to send me details of manual intervention. The data protection act is specific and I can see no justification in you not complying with my request in full. I must insist that that you reconsider. Given that your employees have recorded numerous notes to your electronic systems over the years, I am entitled to ALL of that information. No disproportionate effort is required on your part to provide this information.

So then I got another letter back from them saying

We are not refusing to send you details of manual intervention. We do not keep notes of manual intervention and therefore would not be able to provide you with such information. However if legislation .... blah blah

Since you are now requesting additional information the 40 Days begins from the receipt of your letter dated dd mm yyyy

Urrmm - I don't think so people. I wasn't requesting new info.

So I phoned up to tell them that and the result was stunning - apart from them asking me to be reasonable.

The nice lady that I spoke to confirmed that who ever originally dealt with my first request must have 'assumed' that I wanted just my statements - basically because they are getting so many requests they are 'pushed' .

When I pointed out that if the bank didn't make any notes, how could they make accurate assessments about my credit worthiness and 'what about the notes your staff make when I call in with an enquiry' - she effectively caved in.

When I asked her to read my original request which clearly stated in the second paragraph I wanted 'indication or notes' and this also related to the notes that appear or are typed in by any customer advisor she relented and stated that someone misinterpreted my request.

If you are slightly confused let me explain a bit more - I don't want just the statements - I want details of all of the notes that appear on their systems that relate to me and my business dealings with them.... in all departments - and that includes the emails.

That's what we all asked for and put simply - if they don't produce the 'system notes' as well as the statements they are in breach.

Now ... those of you that read this who really want your moneys worth, can go back and get your 'notes' - you originally asked for them so if you didn't get them within the first 40 days you have a choice :) Not that I'd condone you clogging up their overstretched systems further.

Personally I also want proof of the number of times I tried to correct their cock-ups, the number of times they called me - everything!

Then I'm going to get my unlawful charges back and then I'm going to complain.

Hope this encourages you to stick to your goals.

Kev

Hello Kev

I am following your journey as it unfolds, with great interest! I love your spirit, and found your latest post very encouraging, so thanks for sharing. I find it amazing that they expected you to believe they don't keep notes. The number of times I have been told "I'm just checking the notes on your account..." etc... for flips sake!

Halifax received my SAR on 27th Feb. While I wait for signs of life, I come to this site as often as I can. The info and support here is fab, and greatly appreciated.

All the best Kev

Good for you Kev!!

I sent my LBA off on Tuesday, I had also sent a letter or appropriation along with my initial request for payment, no mention of that it the fob off for 40 days letter!! So you are right, they just assume!! I only get family allowance as I work full time but they where taking their charges out of that which always came to more than my allowance taking me overdrawn on an account where I have been refused an overdraft facility of any kind, they always know when your monies in don't they, it wouldn't of been so bad if they had waiting until my monthly pay day which has been the same since I banked with them over 10 years ago!! I am going to wait until the 14 days is nearly up then will be giving them a call asking what they are going to do about it prior to MCOL which I must admit daunts me!!

Also last weekend I got a second set of complete statements, 6 years worth of course, so they just don't have a clue

• 2 weeks later...