• Tweets

• Not quite sure what you are trying to say but anyway please could you avoid posting solid blocks of text because it is extremely difficult for people to follow – especially if they are using small screen such as telephones. I have restructured your post above. Properly spaced and punctuated please. Thanks
    • I have received an email from town and country on behalf of everday loans. I assume I don’t reply to the email?   Any advice appreciated 
    • Hello, my name is Chris and aswell as saying hello, am checking my posts pop out nicely.  I have  an ongoing problem with British Gas(which shouldn't have become a problem at all), which has cannonballed into recently involving the Energy Ombudsman, Ofgem and I even, hasten to add our government because I am at wit's end. I have a couple of questions. What I write is likely to be mammoth size, I really would like to indicate why I am at wit's end, and as far as I am concerned (conjecture and opinion) its an indication of the inadequacy of our country's system that since and including John Major has been deliberately brought in to be such. Anyway hello and my 2 questions are ' Can I post photos and if so how, are there any instructions?'  and secondly,  ' To what extent can I mention names in what I post, first names only, second names? only, both allowed where known? quoting or gist acceptable, do I need to even though its case and should be anyway, state it's a truthful and honest account?'  It's been ongoing for over a year now on something which I am guessing should get sorted in maybe a month for most people, and I would actually like to go into fuller details than I've even said to them because I feel its important you know that I HAVE been significantly hindered and am living under that still as I speak/type.  
    • Well, Have we all got our piccy id ready to start taking out the Tories err Trash in the locals?
    • Thank you, I’m wary about calling ask know bullying tactics wilL start. I’m happy to write to them.  I will see what happens when we visit the garage. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Powegen

naughtydruid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to offer some advice on the following matter...

I lived in a student house between 2001 and 2004 and had all the bills in my name. I had a few different house mates over the period but always just kept control of the bills. In 2004 we had our meter read (for the first time since I had moved in) and got a massive bill from Powergen going back to 2002. We had been paying estimated charges for almost 3 years and they suddenly wanted to add over £2000 to our bill. I went to CAB at the time and they helped me out with a payment plan (we had a meter fitted which took £10 per week extra). At the time they said it was worth taking it further as there may be grounds to reduce the bill because they had failed to come and read the meter and grossly under estimated their earlier bills. For various reasons I didn't take it any further.

I left the property in 2003 and I guess just thought I would walk away from the debt as it was all on meter and not my problem. Also I was somewhat annoyed that I ended up footing the bill myself when there had been various other housemates who were jointly liable.

Before Christmas I recieved a couple of letters from LCS Civil Enforcement requesting payment of £1200 which I presume is what was left of the debt when I left the property 3 years ago.

The last letter I recieved said if payment is not made soon it will be passed over to either Solicitors or a local rep who may call at your home to secure payment.

I realise that because the bills were in my name I am probably liable for the debt but really can't afford that much at the moment as we have just had a baby and are already ending up £100 short each month.

I was thinking it might be worth offering them a set amount, maybe half the debt, to settle it in one lump sum. Is this wise and would I be better off offering it to Powergen direclty or to LCS?

I rang LCS to ask if they could send me a breakdown of the debt and they just gave me a number for Powergen.

Any help would be appreciated.

It is a pity you didn't take up CABs suggestion at the time. What these

companies do is to underestimate,underestimate and underestimate your bill. And then when there is a price increase they read your meter and everything

is then charged at the higher price.

It is rough on you as the named bill payer,and I can understand that you didn't bother too much about keeping tabs on the bill.

As LCS have suggested you contact Powergen, then that may be the best course. Point out the difficulty you had back then as the £2000 bill was a shock, the more so as many others who were contributing to the bill had

already moved out. And point out that because the meter was read so infrequently, and vastly under estimated, you feel that as you have already

paid so much, and you have now no way of recovering any of the amount

from the other sharers, that they take that in to account and see if they

could find a way to come to an agreement for a lesser amount. Things are

already financially tight and whilst you would like to resolve it, at the present price you feel that your best recourse would be to go to Court and put your

case to them for a more equitable result in view of the factors involved.

Not sure your times are right though, since you say you got the big bill in 2004

but you left in 2003.

If they don't budge on that figure come back and then you can send them

an sar to get a picture of how the price increases coincided with meter readings, and what charges have been added since the bill was sent.

will try to find info - I believe I read somewhere that they were writing these debts off, not 100% sure of details??? - ofgem (or something like that).

Don't get your hopes up, but I thought the government intervened, check back later.

energywatch: Billing Basics

'energywatch therefore submitted a super-complaint to Ofgem on billing. When it made its decision Ofgem set out three requirements on energy suppliers:

1. By July 2006 they have to set up and fund an independent body to resolve disputes between individual companies and consumers. This body will have the power to award compensation to consumers who have received particularly poor service.
  2. From July 2006 they should no longer seek payment from consumers where they have not billed a customer for two years. From July 2007 this period should reduce to one year.
  3. By July 2006 they should have reviewed the terms and conditions of the contracts they offer to consumers to make sure they are as simple as possible, comply with consumer rights’ legislation and are not biased in suppliers’ favour.

does 2. apply??

SHERLOCK

Thanks getting back, this forum is great.

I have just had a better look at the last demand from LCS and it actually says: "Regarding Electricity Consumption at 149 xxxxxxx between 06/11/2002 and 09/03/2004" which is only about 16 months. I think I moved in there late 2000\2001 so it may be that some of the underestimation is from before 06/11/2002 but for some reason they are using that as the start date for the money they are chasing.

Clearly the problem here is I am dreadfully unorganised and have a really poor memory! I could do with getting Powergen to send me a really clear breakdown of how they come to that amount, what dates are involved and details of the other payments I made for the earlier bills.

Is this something they are obliged to send me?

do they have to check the meters at regular intervals?

spoken to energywatch?

From what I remember from my days as a CSA for a gas/electricity company, meters have to be read at least once every two years [this was back in 2000/2001 - whether this has been changed to more frequently since then, I don't know].

The best advice for anyone tho is to check the meter reading when you receive your bill, and inform the utility company of the correct reading - yes, it may generate a slightly higher bill [if you do it every time you get a bill] but it helps prevent a massive bill when they eventually do read the meter.

PJ

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Yep, I would certainly second that advice! I think the problem at that property was that the only hot water was from an electic storage heater that had to be turned on manually and because the bills did not seem over expensive we just kept it switched on too much. It wasn't until we got the meter fitted that we realised just how much money it was costing. Also student priorities tend to lay elsewhere when it comes to spending money!

Ho-hum.

If anybody has any advice on how to request the information from Powergen it would be appreciated. Is the SAR relevant in this case? (I must admit I don't really understand what the SAR actually is!)

Cheers