• Tweets

• Shein has been linked to unethical business practices, including forced labour allegations.View the full article
    • Hi I have to agree with @unclebulgaria67 post#3 For the funding side of moving to a new area and it being private supported accommodation I would also suggest speaking to private supported accommodation provider about funding but also contact the Local Council for that area and have a chat with them about funding because if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit certain Supported Accommodation that meets a certain criteria is treated as ‘exempt accommodation’ for Housing Benefit purposes but you need to confirm this with that relevant Council in your new area especially since it is Private Supported Accommodation as each Council can have slightly different rules on this. If you have a certain medical condition look up the charities and also have a wee chat with them as they may be able to point you to different Grants to assist with moving costs and your question about funding for private supported accommodation as well.
    • Hi Just to be clear a Notice to Quit is only the very start of the Housing Association going down the Eviction route there is a long process to go. Also to be clear if you leave at the Notice to Quit date only and go to the Council claiming you are Homeless they will more than likely class you as Intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. The only way that works is when the Court has Granted a Possession Order then you can approach the Council as Homeless with the Court Order. As for the Housing Association issuing the Notice to Quit because there investigation has proved it's not your main residence but you have witness statement to prove otherwise. From now on with the Housing Association you need to keep a very good paper trail and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office with anything you send to them. You now need to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association and please amend the following to suit your needs:   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: Notice to Quit Letter Dated XX/XX/2024, Hand Delivered on XX/XX/2024 I note in your letter that you stated that the Housing Association has carried out an investigation into myself and came to the conclusion that I am not using this property as my main residence and have evidence of this and have therefore issued a 'Notice to Quit' by XX/XX/2024. I find the above actions absolutely disgraceful action by the Housing Association. 1. Why have I never been informed nor asked about this matter by my Housing Officer. 2. Why have I never been given the opportunity to defend myself before the Housing Association out of the blue Hand Delivered a Notice to Quit Letter. 3. I have evidence and witnesses/statements that prove this is my Main Residence and more than willing provide this to both the Housing Association and the Court. I now require the following: 1. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 3. Copies of your Investigation into this not being my main residence.    As well as the above you need to send the Housing Association urgently a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase covers whatever format they hold that in whether it be letters, email, recorded calls etc. The Housing Association then has 30 calendar days to respond but that time limit only starts once they acknowledge your SAR Request. If they fail to respond within that time limit its then off with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).     
    • Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

dagrat v rbos ** WON **

dagrat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought i would start this thread after hovering on the sidelines for far too long.

Well the story so far is that after receiving all my statements from rbos ive decided to start my claim to get my charges back from RBOS

Ive sent off the prelim letter and with it the spreadsheet showing all my charges.(both copied from your site, many thanks for that).

Ive only claimed for the charges and not any interest,the reason is two fold, 1/ My charges come to just under £5000 and i want to keep it in the small claims route

2/ I dont think that there would be much interest caused by he charges as i have constantly upped tho o/d

But as i see it if it goes all the way to court then i would be claiming the

8% on top anyway.

The prelim went on the 3/1/07 and today i have just received this:

[QUOTE]

I refer to your concern raised on xx december regarding bank charges blah blah blah .

Ihave ordered duplicate statements covering the period 2000 to date.

I will do my best to resolve your concern quickly and to your complete satisfaction.

I will be in contact again by jan 18th to provide you with either a full response or a further update of my investigation.

Please feel free to contact me by phone etc etc

Now from what i have seen of other responses from rbos on this site, this does seem like a general fob off, albeit a polite one.

And the date they have given for getting back does fall in the 14 days i gave them.

Does anyone think i should respond in any particular way or just wait for the 14 days to elapse.

What i dont understand is that they have not mentioned anything to do with my prelim letter,and why they have ordered duplicate statements when i have already got them makes no sense, as i have listed, via the spreadsheet, all the charges i am claiming for.

Maybe ist not meant to make sense, just stalling.

What do you think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit late now, but just wanted to point out, you could have claimed your interest as even if it did go over £5k you could have split your claim (at court stage) into two claims.

If the interest makes a whole lot of difference, you could always send them another prelim letter requesting additional charges. As a guide, my claim was for charges totalling £2385. On top of that, I had interest charges of £409. Total £2794. Bit of a difference I think?

Upping your overdraft limit doesn't matter either. The calculation isn't based upon when you are over your limit. The interest you claim back is the interest that has been charged to you to cover the amount of your overdraft that is made up of charges. The argument being that if the charges weren't there, you wouldn't be charged that interest.

To explain, if you have a overdraft limit of £500, a balance of -£100 which was made up £50 in charges and £50 of your money, if you were then charged £10 in interest (a little bit over the top I know, but for the sake of explaining), you would be claiming back £5 (as 50% of your overdraft is made up of unlawful charges) regardless of what your overdraft limit is.

If your charges are close to the £5k mark, I would consider calculating how much interest is claimable as if mine is £400, yours might be close to £1k.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

I take your pint, i think ill take a closer look at the interest angle.

But if i went down that road of claiming interest for these charges, bearing in mind i have already sent off L.B.A. letter, would that mean that it would be a completely seperate claim? And if so, would that mean sending out a prelim,then lba etc just for the charges?

If you decide on doing it, you would need to send them a prelim and lba for the interest you intend to claim.

As a result, you could either start from scratch adding to your preliminary letter "As a result of a revision to my statement of charges, I calculate you have take from me £xx [put the charges plus interest figure here]. The revised statement now includes £xx which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken" or simply a send a prelim to recover just the overdraft interest.

If it were me, I would do the former because I would be worried that a claim for overdraft interest would be contested more readily by the banks. I don't think it holds as much weight on it's own as a claim for unlawful charges and overdraft interest - JMHO.

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Well since my lba letter went off ive received two seperate letters from sandy Watt in edinburgh

Dear mr xxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxx regarding charges to your account We are currently considering your claim and will respond to you as soon as possible.

Both letters the same but only one had the date included.

Next two days later i have received anoher letter from the enigmatic Mr Watts stating the exact same but this time not even pp`d by anyone.

Letts hope this claim finishes soon before the complete demise of the rain forest

Mr/Ms Watts has been very busy sending out pointless letters, claiming to be a response (albeit weeks late) to a letter YOU DIDN'T WRITE (check the dates, did you write a letter? Most people haven't! lol)

Yes tour right these letters were dated prior to my lba letter. Is he having a breakdown or is he well out of his depth?

Incedently, who is he? Ive only seen Tommies name banded round, Sandy seems to be a new kid on the block.

It's just to bide them some time. Word on the street is they are heavily understaffed and they are hoping that the less well informed will give them the extra time they are after. Stick to your timescales!!

Just had a thought, (Thought it was a headache at first!)

Im also claiming back charges from various other banks,cards etc and have sent out s.a.r.s but still waiting for the statements on these (not reached 40 days yet)

As i have a few statements on these accounts,could i save time and get the ball rolling by sending prelim letters out based on a few charges and then when the statements come, add these to the spreadsheet?

If i could do this i would save at least two weeks.

You would need to revise the prelim again once the statements arrived, not really much point IMHO.

mmmmh! , after i first sent my spreadsheet with the prelim i noticed that i had not deducted three charges that had been refunded after a lot of arguing. So i decided to remove them from spreadsheet sent with the lba. But guess what? I forgot again!

Should i just wait until the next phase i.e. court , and amend the spreadsheet then or do i have to resubmit the spreadsheet with another lba and start the 14 day wait again.

I dont particularly want to resubmit a new lba as the 14 days are nearly up, but if there is a chance of the claim faultering the i will. Any ideas?

safest way is to give them another 14 days. or you could just remove them from the court stage if it gets that far.

don't make much difference imo.

Just make sure you state somewhere that you have revised your figures to remove 3 charges that were refunded AND DON'T FORGET AGAIN!!!

Thanks taff,

I wont fofget again (one hundred times and one detention) i promise.

I have just got another statement and i have to add three more new charges anyway, so thought when i add these i could then deduct the refunded ones. But when do i show them the revised spready?

Imean every time i get another charge and add it do i then have to send the spreadshjeet to them, or do i only have to send the revised spreadsheet at certain intervals ie.next stage?

I would say next stage....but you haven't got a next stage!

If you are hell bent on getting to the next stage (ie taking them to court) then I'd send them a letter in the meantime with the revised statement, telling them it revised due to refunded charges and the latest set of charges they have given you.

If however, you would rather a settlement without going to court, send them a letter with the revised statement (same reason) giving them an extension of of a couple of days to give them further time to respond to you. Ensure you give them your deadline for when they have to respond.

Cheers taff,

No i dont really want it to get to court but just thinking ahead. If i am one of the lucky ones and they offer the full ammount in the next week say, howw do i add the new charges incurred? Or is that now a seperate claim?

If you are offered settlement before you have the opportunity to amend your claim, then it would be easier to start a new claim.

One point of note, when you receive settlement, they will have a letter they want you to sign. Don't sign it, just send them a letter back saying you accept the offer as full and final settlement of THIS claim and that should there be any charges in the future you will seek to reclaim these also.

Well remarkable news this morning, post arrived and with it an offer from rbos for £4800 THE FULL CLAIM.

I THINK I HAVE WON!

The letter was full of the usual justification for their charges and how when an account is opened the charges are explained etc. and how they beleive that the charges are `fair, reasonable and transparent`.

The letter goes on :

However having reveiwed your case and as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liability or error, in this instance we are prepared o offer the ammount of £4800 paid direct to your account.

To accept this offer in full and final settlement of your complaint please let me know by completing the attatched form.

Any charges that properly accrue in the future will be applied to your account in line with our published tariff and in accordance with your agreement with the bank.Should you be unwilling to accept any such charges then we may need to consider if we are prepared to continue to provide you with your existing banking facilities. Instead we may offer you a simple account that does not offer borrowing facilities or other services that can result in charges,

Many many thanks to you all at cag, particularly HYDRA and TAFF for all your help.

I hope im not counting my chickens to early, as i havent got the money yet but things do look a lot more rosy.

The form reads: I accept your offer in full and final settlement of my complaint. with a tick box and then signitures and dates.

Should i complete this form, as there seems to be no reason not to?

Any ideas as to how to respond to this offer