We need to make some money - comments please

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That idea has been floated, but at the moment we are running at such a loss (our hosting is constantly over our 'allowance') etc... that it'll be some time before we can set up a sort of 'fighting account' - plus, the logistics of the scheme would have to be worked out fairly - it's a bit of a headache, but a headache that has certainly been discussed.

To Seylectric, just click the 'red' Dave from the list at the bottom of the forum index and choose, "Send Private Message".

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That idea has been floated, but at the moment we are running at such a loss (our hosting is constantly over our 'allowance') etc... that it'll be some time before we can set up a sort of 'fighting account' - plus, the logistics of the scheme would have to be worked out fairly - it's a bit of a headache, but a headache that has certainly been discussed.

To Seylectric, just click the 'red' Dave from the list at the bottom of the forum index and choose, "Send Private Message".

I am in simular position as Tonyross after being on staturory sick pay for the last six months, but am willing to donate some money when we get our settlements if this would help :D

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I confess that when I saw requests for Amazon vouchers I thought it a cheek and wondered if it was for real. Now I have been browsing a while I am sure everything is kosher and will happily donate when I get some money back.

but!

How do you stand legally asking for money?

Will anyone or any organisation (ie BAG) be liable for tax on any income?

Will income and expenditure be properly accounted for?

Will there be published accounts for donors (or anyone thinking of donating)to see?

Believe me, I fully support the site which is why I would hate to see anyone in trouble, and why I ask these questions. I am afraid I don't have the answers.

As an extra idea, although not necessarily an easy one - if you could get charitable status, could you also get Gift Aid on donations?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Legally there's no problem asking for money or even adding a compulsory membership fee; nobody is forced to pay anything.

Personally I think this site is well worth paying for, the information and advice is almost priceless anyway so who cares? If the owners of this site become millionaires as a result of this site's success you will get no complaints from me.

I think the time is better spent asking the banks, credit card companies, retailers councils and so on why they are taking your monay and what they are doing with it.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

I agree. I sent in a wee donation he other day, and found it to be a very easy and straightforward process. From my own point of view, I'm happy to make a donation, but I also like to think I'm 'paying' for the help the forum has given me by offering advice to other users from my own experience.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

As an extra idea, although not necessarily an easy one - if you could get charitable status, could you also get Gift Aid on donations?
These have all been mooted previously, and a few people have even offered book-keeping/accountancy and other services to the site. It really is a question of the guys getting the time to put all this in place...

All contributions are obviously welcomed, the site costs a fortune to run - as Robert says on another thread, donations are voluntary, nothing is compulsory...if the site helps you recover your money, and you would like to help the site to help others, then donate whatever amount you are happy with...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Can you not make it a membersonly site when you get your payout you donate a percentage......the way I look at it if it wasnt for this site then I probablywouldnt have had the chance to get my money back, so if I never had it I wouldnt have missed it as such

I just wish I could make a donation now

In progress:

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Can you not make it a membersonly site

NO... no no NO.

This site is free and I reckon if it hadn't been we wouldn't have over 17,000 - yes SEVENTEEN THOUSAND members. All people who are going to hit the banks and credit card providers HARD and finally show them the power of the consumer. If this was a pay site there'd be less than 300 members here right now. As it is, the place gets three hundred people online at any one time.

I can only marvel at the effort and time and money that must get poured into this place. While it's voluntary donations but otherwise free it's doing exactly what Dave and BF set out to do - and I love it for what it is.

Will anyone or any organisation (ie BAG) be liable for tax on any income?

This is an interesting point. If you are offering a service it may amount to a trade and the tax position might have to be considered. I suspect from the posts I have read that there is no question of profit but that depends on whether the costs you are spending are tax deductible.

If you want any help on this let me know, I have a bit of experience in these matters.

NO... no no NO.

This site is free and I reckon if it hadn't been we wouldn't have over 17,000 - yes SEVENTEEN THOUSAND members. All people who are going to hit the banks and credit card providers HARD and finally show them the power of the consumer. If this was a pay site there'd be less than 300 members here right now. As it is, the place gets three hundred people online at any one time.

I can only marvel at the effort and time and money that must get poured into this place. While it's voluntary donations but otherwise free it's doing exactly what Dave and BF set out to do - and I love it for what it is.

I marvel at Dave and the rest of the admin as well, sadly not all that use this site do though (one was selling the idea) it will be a sad fact that some will use this site to get their money back and then not bother anymore until the next time someone finds a loophole then they will rush back and do the same thing.

I want to see this site still here in 5 10 15 years time fighting for the rights of people like me, not fold up because someone was to tight to donate a couple of pounds from their battle ..

Btw dave I have added a thread please donate to this site hope you are in agreement with it :D

In progress:

• 1 year later...

Ha - 17000 - a mere fledgling site!!

(head swells accordingly)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Sorry for being dim, but I haven't seen this thread before! Could I just ask, what status does CAG have? I.e., is it a voluntary sector organisation, sole trader, etc (you get my drift!) The actual status of CAG could determine it's access to public/private/third sector funding streams. Have you looked into this based on your status????

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

But presumably still needing to make some money!

You have plenty to be proud of Dave - it must still seem remarkable taking on a bank, achieving your aim and then guiding 150k others to follow suit. I can't believe you weren't mentioned in the Birthday honours.

Oh my, there's an ancient thread resurrected!!!
Oh yes...and just look at the roll call of early posters...some of them are still here...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Sorry for being dim, but I haven't seen this thread before! Could I just ask, what status does CAG have? I.e., is it a voluntary sector organisation, sole trader, etc (you get my drift!) The actual status of CAG could determine it's access to public/private/third sector funding streams. Have you looked into this based on your status????

??????????????

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

RtR is a limited company for obvious reasons.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK

reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road, London, NW11 7PE

------------

------------

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks