John Lewis - Got caught shoplifting

Hi, I was caught by the security guards today for shoplifting in John Lewis. I think total amount is about £500. They said they saw me on CCTV last week, I was freaked out so I admitted it. I know it’s awful… I cried as I was too scared and begged them pls don’t call the police. They took pics of me and wrote down my details from banking app as I didn’t have any id with me. I told them my difficulties that I was scammed £35k recently and I lost my job so I stole those things and sell them. I apologised and they said they won’t call the police but I’m banned and will receive letters from RLP for fines which including this time and the last time(I didn’t give back the goods I took last time). I know it’s very very bad, I feel shameful and so depressed so hopeless about everything happened. I wonder since it’s a lot of money, will they sue me, take me to the court, or will they change their mind to call the police when they check the cctv footage to check how much I owe them? I said sorry I really couldn’t afford the fine at this situation, they said it’s their job they can’t do anything. Later when I was out of the mall, the security guard said, I can call RLP to negotiate about the fee. Also I’m probably moving to another city in 2 months, so if they want to take me to court but I didn’t receive any letters what should I do… and the security guy told me it’s worse as I traveled to this city and stealing stuff. I’m home now but feeling awful, wish people could give me some advice, thank you very much.

Hi, I was caught by the security guards today for shoplifting in John Lewis.

I think total amount is about £500.

They said they saw me on CCTV last week, I was freaked out so I admitted it. I know it’s awful… I cried as I was too scared and begged them pls don’t call the police.

They took pics of me and wrote down my details from banking app as I didn’t have any id with me.

I told them my difficulties that I was scammed £35k recently and I lost my job so I stole those things and sell them. I apologised and they said they won’t call the police but I’m banned and will receive letters from RLP for civil restoration which including this time and the last time(I didn’t give back the goods I took last time).

I know it’s very very bad, I feel shameful and so depressed so hopeless about everything happened.

I wonder since it’s a lot of money, will they sue me, take me to the court, or will they change their mind to call the police when they check the cctv footage to check how much I owe them?

I said sorry I really couldn’t afford the fine at this situation, they said it’s their job they can’t do anything.

Later when I was out of the mall, the security guard said, I can call RLP to negotiate about the fee.

Also I’m probably moving to another city in 2 months, so if they want to take me to court but I didn’t receive any letters what should I do… and the security guy told me it’s worse as I travelled to this city and stealing stuff.

I’m home now but feeling awful, wish people could give me some advice, thank you very much.

• dx100uk changed the title to John Lewis - Got caught shoplifting

RLP can't do anything and IT IS NOT A FINE.

simply ignore them totally.

more importantly what are you doing about the fraud you suffered?

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx, thanks for replying me.

I was scammed 35k which is the money my parents giving me for living expenses and everything to study here in the uk.

I feel so stupid and awful about it and really don’t want to tell my parents about this… I can’t face them…

I know shoplifting is bad but I couldn’t find another way to get some money to cover the fee…

these things brought me anxiety and depression…

the lady from the shop asked me to find a job,

I really tried for almost a year but it’s hard to find a proper job here as an international student.

They said I’ll be fined, I said I couldn’t afford it.

They said I either go to the police/jail or pay, I have to pay… 

you will not and CANNOT be fined/goto jail/called on by the police.

all that is now well over and you've simply been told those things to frighten you by a trumped up security guy.

ignore it, stay out of that store, nothing anyone can do..END OF! 100's of like threads here to read type in RLP.

when were you scammed out of this £35k, and who by?

dx

• Like 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Posted (edited)

Thank you, I was been told that it’s a serious crime if I shoplifted above £200, (this time £500, I gave the thing back+ last time probably also around £500 which I didn’t give back).. and I admitted to them that I sold those things at very low price to pay for food and stuff.  That’s why I was worried..as it wasn’t my first time.. I also did it in John Lewis in the city I live, but when they asked me I said I didn’t steal things from it as I don’t wanna get caught in my city. But I don’t know when they upload my pics in the system will they recognise me and think of me a professional shoplifter than against me… so what happened about the fraud was that what there was a phone call told me that my visa has problems etc due to I helped bad people do money laundering etc. I said I didn’t then they tried to ‘control’ me and many things happened to make me believe what they said… as soon as I gave them the bank details I lost all the money in it. 

Thank you, I was been told that it’s a serious crime if I shoplifted above £200, (this time £500, I gave the thing back+ last time probably also around £500 which I didn’t give back).. and I admitted to them that I sold those things at very low price to pay for food and stuff.  

That’s why I was worried..as it wasn’t my first time..

I also did it in John Lewis in the city I live, but when they asked me I said I didn’t steal things from it as I don’t wanna get caught in my city.

But I don’t know when they upload my pics in the system will they recognise me and think of me a professional shoplifter than against me…

so what happened about the fraud was that what there was a phone call told me that my visa has problems etc due to I helped bad people do money laundering etc.

I said I didn’t then they tried to ‘control’ me and many things happened to make me believe what they said… as soon as I gave them the bank details I lost all the money in it. 

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured to make it intelligible

You may have noticed that we have gone to the trouble of restructuring your posts to make them readable.

I had to do it twice now.  My site team colleague has done it once.

Posting long blocks of text make it very difficult for people to read especially using telephones. It discourages people who might want to help you.

Please can you make your posts properly spaced and punctuated. Thank you

did you contact your bank about the fraud? contact the police , action fraud anyone in authority?

have you done anything about it?

when did it happen?

dx

and they

Posted (edited)

I did call the police both in the UK and in my country but both of them said no way to get the money back now.

I tried my best not panic but it indeed influenced my life in many ways, the only thing I could do is start therapies.

It happened around February- March, so I started to do this shoplifting thing. I know it’s very very bad, I seriously didn’t want to do this at all.

But luckily I just saw an message from HR, they asked me to have an online interview next week. I’ll stop this behaviour and wish my messed up life back to normal soon 

Edited by Wen9821

Hi. I think you already know that stealing isn't the way to live in the UK.

You could ask for advice from the student welfare people at your university who should be able to tell you about how to deal with this and refer you to legal advisors if you need them.

HB

• I agree 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I’m worried that if uni will expel me after knowing the shoplifting thing. I feel shameful about what I’ve done and I was kind of out of mind when I need money to survive. I will never do this again. 

16 hours ago, Wen9821 said:

I’m worried that if uni will expel me after knowing the shoplifting thing. I feel shameful about what I’ve done and I was kind of out of mind when I need money to survive. I will never do this again. 

The student welfare team won't expell you.

Also your uni may have counsillors who are bound by confidentialy and free - see if you have any. They'll be able to advise im sure

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service