EON trying to take payment after a year... should I pay?

On the 22nd March 2024 I received an email from EON saying they have billed me for gas used between 15th January 2023 -15th March 2023 for £276.73 even though the meter was broken.

There are two issues here:

Backbilling rule seems apply here

"In March 2018, we announced our decision to protect consumers from lengthy back-bills, banning suppliers from issuing customers with back-bills for energy used more than 12 months prior to the date of the bill" as per https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/energy-policy-and-regulation/policy-and-regulatory-programmes/energy-back-billing-project

I had discovered the meter wasn’t working when I went to take a reading to send to EON in February 2023.

I contacted them to explain it was showing no display panel and they took a further month before they sent an engineer to replace the meter.

I know gas prices have fallen but this year between those dates I have only used £193.54 so where they’ve got that figure of £276.73 from I don’t know especially as the meter wasn’t working and even when they changed it they said no meter reading could be taken off the old one

Am I right in thinking I should not pay this bill due to the backbilling rule and if so, how do I respond to EON?

their fault not yours.

they cant now bill you.

BB is the right retort.

dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

backbilling....

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok great. My plan is to send something like this:

Hello,

Further to your email on 22nd March ‘24 I will not pay this bill as it is more than 1 year since the consumption date, so I not elegible to pay in accordance with the OFGEM regulation on back billing.

Please remove this charge from my account or I will seek legal solutions.   

Does that sound ok?

is english not your 1st language....

with regard to your bill date xxxx,

this bill is outside of 1yrs since the stated date of the detailed consumption.

you have not sent me a previous bill within that period.

the bill is subject to industry back billing rules.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

• 1 month later...

This is still ongoing. I sent the advised messagge to [email protected] and we got a replied on the 5th April saying:

Good Afternoon X,

Thankyou for your email, i do sincerely apologise about the charge being from 2023 and this minusing the credit off your account, what i have done is got your account sent to the back-billing department and they will get the account rectified for you! Please allow 7 working days for this to be looked into and as soon as i have an update ill be able to contact you!

Kind Regards Y

I then got a message to say it had been rectified but it hadn't so I sent:

Hi Y,

I have received the updated bill you sent but it is not reflecting the backbilling issue. There has been no money returned to my account.

Please return the money to my account immediately or I will contact the regulator.

Account number: ZZZZZ

Best,
X

To which they replied on the 24/04:

Hi X, i do apologise about this.

i am going to review your account again and see if i can get this sorted for you!

Once again X i am extremely sorry and i will do my best to get this rectified for you.

I will be in contact shortly.

Kind Regards Y

I haven't heard anything back so plan to send this:

Hello Y,

Any update on this? It's been almost 3 weeks since your message and more than a month since my initial message.

I have been advised to contact OFGEM which I will be doing if you don't solve this issue within 48 hours.

Best,
X

Anything further should do?

if it was taken by Direct debit....

go do a DD Guarantee clawback from your bank.

dx

and they

opps this is going to get messy then if they don't refund.

you should never keep util accounts in credit.

• Thanks 1

and they

Good to know for the future.

We called them last year to ask them to return the money but were told it was very difficult and would have to go through their office so didn't fully pursue which clearly we should have.

We have received this reply:

Hi X apologies for the delay, i've heard back from back billing and as they are only able to credit back the amount of the negative balance which is £25.01 this has already been applied on your account, there will not be any more credit being added as this is energy you have used.

I understand this may not of been the outcome you wished, unfortunately due to our policies i will not be able to get the credit balance added back.

Kind regards Y

Is it worth pursuing with OFGEM / the ombudsmen or are we not going to get anything back?