Gym Membership

Ages ago I cancelled my leisure centre account but they say this is not the case.

The monthly amount continued to go out of my account that I didn't notice for various reasons and thus I am down at least £200.

Here is an email conversation I had with the relevant department at the leisure centre.

Going off this, is there any hope of my getting back money? If so, how? Note their last email - I have nothing on those dates from them.  

Me to them (28 Jan 2024)
I froze my account back in April 2021 (confirmation below), when I realised I wasn't going to be able attend for a very long time.
The last time I was there was 2019-20ish.

I've just noticed, however, that you have been taking money from my account all this time for nearly three years.

If I froze my account why have you been taking money and how can I
(a) Stop this
(b) get my money back?

Their reply
The freeze you requested was due to group exercise not returning immediately when we reopened after the Covid closures.

In the confirmation we advised you that we would let you know when group exercise was restarting.

We sent a further e-mail to you on 10th May to let you know your membership would be unfrozen and payments restarting 1st June 2021.

We have processed a cancellation for you now but we will be unable to refund any of the payments made since your membership was unfrozen.

My reply
That email included this:
"If you wish to keep your membership frozen a little longer please follow the link below and complete the form: Keep my membership frozen "

I did complete that form.
Why else would you send me an email on the 17th with an "Unfreeze your membership" button?

Their reply
We did receive your e-mail to keep frozen until group exercise classes returned which was applied in April 2021. 

We then e-mailed you in May 2021 to let you know your membership would be unfrozen and we did not receive a request to keep frozen after that. 

Once the facilities were back up and running your membership was available to use. 

As you have now requested to cancel your membership will end on 29/02/2024.

My reply
Thanks for replying.

Please send proof of the May email (with my email address on it), as I have no such email that I can find. Cheers. 

Their reply
Due to our data retention policy we do not keep sent e-mails from that long ago. 

We have included a screenshot of the notes on your account that was add with the date and time of the e-mails so you can check your inbox.

*I checked my inbox for anything they may have sent and I have nothing.

Is this a case of me writing this off as a bad experience or can I so something about it?

go do a DD guarantee reclaim to your bank for all the membership fees right back to one month after you requested the freeze/cancel

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...