HMRC - vastly overcharged me on a previous self assessment form - now say out of time!!

Jenny21

Is there a forum on here for problems with HMRC? 

It turns out they vastly overcharged me on a previous self assessment form, I have tried to raise this with them before, but now they're saying that "its too late to make amendments" and won't even allow me to pay ni contributions because they'll take it against the £2k debt - which I can show was never owed! 

To make it worse they've also said that part of the debt has been marked on every year's self assessment since that (like a brought forward kind of thing) so every tax return I've ever submitted would also have been wrong.. but they won't even look at it because the origin goes too far back! 

Once I retire, they'll just collect it from my pension, so I can't just leave it unsettled. 

My debt is from 2009/10. 

I raised it with them several times between 2012 and 2020, even had a face to face meeting with them in 2020 - they said someone would get back to me (never did!)

Because the advisor I met with didn't have the authority to access it. 

Now today they have no record of that meeting (or she couldn't see it coz it's dropped off the system)  

I have the tax return and all of the bank statements and stuff for that year, I never owed that money, the calculation was wrong,  I don't think I should pay something that was never owed. 

• dx100uk changed the title to HMRC - vastly overcharged me on a previous self assessment form - now say out of time!!

Hi Jenny,

So you believe you were overcharged by approx £2K in 2009/10 ! That's way beyond the normal time they allow you to seek a review of a past year.

Have you made a formal written complaint about this matter - I suspect that's the only way you have it reviewed. See here for the address - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/463276-hmrc-penalties-£2000-for-not-submitting-sa-i-deregistered-a-few-years-ago-resolved/?do=findComment&comment=5236092

Make a formal SAR to get all the info you can from HMRC immediately. This can be done online - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmrc-subject-access-request

You'll need to be able to prove that you raised your queries about this in a timely manner; and that HMRC failed to act on the info they had or the info you supplied.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)