LAST NAME
FIRST NAME
DOB
UK ADDRESS
NUMBER
EMAIL
DATE

Dear TFL,

There is no excuse for my actions and behaviour.

I am writing to you to say that I have been dishonest as I have used my Partner's Freedom Pass which is of high value, and from this incident I realise and learnt that a Freedom Pass cost the Local Authority of £25,000 per year, per person, to issue these out to people who genuinely need them; the elderly, vulnerable and disabled in our society. What I have done is essentially costing Taxpayers' money and abused their trust. I am also a working taxpayer with many years left to contribute, so my actions are of extreme wrong doing and extreme stupidity.

I understand what I have done has caused the loss of revenue for TFL, which this affects all stakeholders associated, down to the platform staff who are hard working people to keep this service operating. My inexcusable actions is also a contributing factor to the increase in transport fares for all honest passengers as they have to pick up the shortfall and it is not fair to them and they shouldn't be covering the costs every year.

I deeply and wholeheartedly regret what I have done and I would like to sincerely apologise to TFL and all their employees who provide us all a vital service, the Local Authority as they are funding the Freedom Pass, and most importantly to the Taxpayers and all honest paying passengers.

I will take this as an extremely important life lesson learnt the hardest way, and I reassure you that this will not happen again and will pay my fair share to the transport industry like all honest passengers who uses TFL's services. My actions is to now to get a season ticket which would suit me best for my journeys and travels, other alternatives is for me to carry an Oyster Card with loaded credit at all times, contactless bank cards and some cash as backups, to ensure that I pay all my future travels.

I accept my actions and responsibilities where I am ashamed and embarrassed of myself and own doing.

Please could I ask if you would allow me to pay the outstanding fares that is owed and your administration costs involved in order to reach an out of court settlement. Undoubtedly I have wasted TFL's time and resources, and have affected your revenue income.

I am once again deeply and remorsefully sorry of what I have done, and I apologise to all parties that has been affected with my actions. 

Yours sincerely,
CinamonSpice 

• Like 1

After 'Dear TfL', put their reference number like I assume you would for a work letter.

And I would add a first paragraph acknowledging their letter of [date].

Minor point, in the UK we would normally put first name and then last name on a letter. If you think they're hard to tell apart, you could put your last name in block capitals. Are you also sending back their questionnaire on the back of their letter?

Hopefully @dx100uk and @Grotesque will be able to have a look at this as well.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB, 

Noted to put first paragraph saying "Thank you for your letter dated 26th January 2024." after "Dear TFL,". 

Thank you for reminding me to put the reference case number.

I was following the letter's order/format for the required requested details, the questionnaire on the back of the letter. (Aware UK we start with First Name then Surname)

I plan to email as no printer, so I think I will type out the answer on email for the questionnaire:

"2. If you accept committing an offence, please provide any exceptional reasons that you may feel are relevant and evidence to support this, as to you TFL should not proceed with a prosecution".

So my email will look like this, below.

LAST NAME
FIRST NAME
DOB
UK ADDRESS
NUMBER
EMAIL
DATE
REFERENCE CASE NUMBER

Dear TFL,

Thank you for your letter dated 26th January 2024.

...Body of my letter etc etc 

...Yours sincerely

Did you send that off, Cinnamon?

Please let us know when you get a response, whatever they say. It often takes three letters to persuade a transport company to reach an OOC decision so you may have to write again.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB, yes emailed off Sunday evening.

You said it often takes three letters/emails to persuade to reach an OOC decision??? Oh my. What do I say in those upcoming letters then? I mean how can they be persuaded? Are they just processing all cases to go court as it's their company procedures? 

That was a good letter, @CinamonSpice, don't panic. It was understanding, empathetic, and sufficiently apologetic that you are in with a good shot. Considering the severity of the case, I think TfL may well find themselves able to... reprioritise, shall we say. 

As to other letters: cross those bridges when they've hatched. Remember, every time they say something else, that gives you something to refocus on. Hence the multiple letters from TfL's point of view: there may be something you have inadvertently omitted from this one (I don't think you have, btw), so they will want to make sure you understand that something else before signing off on you.

Future letters are basically future-proofing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, just want to let you know that I have received a letter in the post today. Dated 22nd March 2024. 

"Thank you for responding to our enquiry letter. We are currently reviewing this case and we will contact you as soon as we have reached a decision. 

Yours sincerely

Investigator Prosecutor"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024.

"We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network."

"You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."