• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard dragging their heels further.....this is a long one...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After receiving the initial DPA microfiche fob off, I forwarded another letter as per my other thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4431

Now had a very long and personal reply,

Dear Mr Kruger

Subject Access Request

With regard to your request that we provide a computer printout of your transaction on your account from the period 25 March to date we are unable to provide the information requested. Our computer systems do not permit us to print such historic data. Neither do our systems allow us to search for and identify individual charges applied to an account. It is therefore not possible to provide you with a printout of such charges. I would also add that Barclaycard did not introduce default charges on its account until mid 2001. the print out that has been provided to you (they must mean statements back to May 2004 as there is nothing else enclosed) contains the information that we currently have recorded relating to charges on your account.

As I explained in my letter dated x April, copy statements held prior to may are stored on microfiche. These statements are therefore not retained in a relelvant filing system and therefore do not fall within the class of documents required to be produced pursuant to a subject access request. Your reference to the case of Smith-v-Lloyds Bank PLC (2005) EWHC 246 (Ch) is puzzling in this regard as that case fully supports Barclaycard’s position. In that case Mr Smith made a subject access request to Lloyds. Lloyds did not disclose all the documents that it held as it took the position that a number of documents held loosely in boxes were not contained in a relevant filing system and therefore were not required to be produced. Mr Justice Laddie agreed with Lloyds and dismissed the court application of Mr Smith to have the documents produced. As with a box of documents the copy statements held by Barclaycard on microfiche are not held in a relevant filing system.

You also state that other customers have been provided with computer printouts of transaction information covering “this period”, which I understand to be the period prior to May 2004. As Barclaycard do not hold transaction information prior to May 2004 on computer I do not understand what you are referring to in this regard.

Accordingly we are unable to disclose any further statement documentation to you pursuant to your request under the Data Protection Act. As previously advised you may contact the Customer Services team for copy statements. There is a standard charge of £3 per copy statement.

Barclaycard is not attempting to obstruct you are delay you. We are however ensuring that all subject access requests made to Barclaycard are dealt with in the same way, whether or not they relate to default fees, so all requests are processed fairly and properly. Barclaycard have made it clear to customers for many years that copy statements held on microfiche are not required to be produced pursuant to a subject access request.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss the issues further

Yours sincerely

S Walker

Head of Data Protection and Legal Counsel

Data Protection Team

Legal and Regulatory Compliance

Need some help on a plan of action form here on.

Cheers

Well, I don't know about plan of action just now, but I'm apoplectic on your behalf!

The cheek of them! They're "comparing", not actually saying that their filing system is like the SMith case, eg a loose box... Their semantic evasions are unbelievable. Blink and you've missed it.

Well, I don't think you have any choice now. You have all the ammunition you need to lodge a complaint with the IC, and to start a court claim to force them into compliance. I'm about to post a rough draft as a separate thread which B/F kindly drew. Have a look and tell us what you think.

Actually, they are using the wrng argument. It clearly is a relavant filing system as the system is structured enough to allow retrieval of the info by reference to identifiers and this is evidenced by the fact that they will sell them to you.

their better excuse is disproportionate effort in producing hard copy. However, don't tell them that for goodness sake.

Read the DPA FAQ and send them a 7 day letter befor eaction.

read my replies to Clarkey in this forum.

It's about time that people started making their claims. it is very straightforward and that is what this secret forum has been set for to start a little trickle of litgation without letting lurkers know what is going on.

Let's get going.

I have, right in front of me at this very second - a print out of every transaction including charges on my Barclaycard account - for the past 6 years!!!

so,

Our computer systems do not permit us to print such historic data.

is a crock of sh*te!

You also state that other customers have been provided with computer printouts of transaction information covering “this period”, which I understand to be the period prior to May 2004. As Barclaycard do not hold transaction information prior to May 2004 on computer I do not understand what you are referring to in this regard.

Am I not a customer then????

Barclaycard is not attempting to obstruct you are delay you.

I, for one, believe them.

....and my IQ just slipped to about the same as my shoe size.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Im waiting for the SAR to be returned by Barclaycard and I fully expect the Microfishe excuse to be used. I am puzzled as to the relevance of Smith V Lloyds PLC. Having read the judgement it appears to deal with loose documents held in a file and decided that this was not a relevant filling system. ( Much as barclaycard are saying)

It didnt deal with microfishe and as I can see it didnt take the issue of relevant filing system any further other than to say loose papers in a file where not.

It seems inconceivable to me that the Barclaycards microfishe is not stored in a relevant filling system but Im not sure of the relevance of Smith V Lloyds.

sorry if Im being a bit thick but Im Just trying to get myself prepared in advance.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Well, Dave's priuntout is brilliant. If dave would permit us to use it as evidence, then I would suggest a county court claim - but instead of disclsoing Dave statements to them in advcne - as we are meant to, we produce them only at the hearing. We tell the judge that they have only just come into our possession. the judge will be fine about it as forstly you will be acting in person - not a lawyer, so you weren't really expoected to know better - but also because the will be furious at BCard's deceit.

The beauty of prducing them in court is that they have no chance to prepare a reply, that they will have sworn a statement of truth - which will be false and therefore a serious matter - and also they will have no chance to pullback fromtheir lie by simply making the disloure to you beforehand and therefore avoiding the court action.

If you gave them advance dislosure, they would simply cave in and make the disclosure.

If they can get a pasting in court then we can complain to the IC, give the story to the press - and I think that would be the end of B'card non-compliance for ever and maybe the other banks would get a good shock as well.

Where are you in the country? I would be happy to try and come along and help you if you would like that and if it wasn't too inconvenient.

I think that we should keep this very quiet. Don't refer to it in any public forum.

if this succeeds - and it is difficult to see how it can't, then this private forum will have paid off wonderfully.

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the letters received from BarclayCard saying that they can't provide DPA information, I've just had the same reply this morning. First they sent me computer printouts from which I can see that I've paid 19x penalty charge (£20?) I wrote back and asked for full details and eventually they sent me the letter below. I've noticed a line I haven't seen yet in letters sent to fellow Consumer Action Group users......(see in bold below)

Dear Mr Moore

Subject Access Request

Thank you for your recent leter dated 21 April 2006.

With regard to your request that we provide a computer printout of your transaction on your account from the last 6 years to date we are unable to provide the information requested. Our computer systems do not permit us to print such historic data. Neither do our systems allow us to search for and identify individual charges applied to an account. It is therefore not possible to provide you with a printout of such charges. I would also add that Barclaycard did not introduce default charges on its account until mid 2001. the print out that has been provided to you contains the information that we currently have recorded relating to charges on your account.

As I explained previously, copy statements held prior to May 2004 are stored on microfiche. These statements are therefore not retained in a relevant filing system and therefore do not fall within the class of documents required to be produced pursuant to a subject access request. The statements are held in date order and more than one customer statement may be held on an individual film of microfiche.

Your reference to the case of Smith-v-Lloyds Bank PLC (2005) EWHC 246 (Ch) is puzzling in this regard as that case fully supports Barclaycard’s position. In that case Mr Smith made a subject access request to Lloyds. Lloyds did not disclose all the documents that it held as it took the position that a number of documents held loosely in boxes were not contained in a relevant filing system and therefore were not required to be produced. Mr Justice Laddie agreed with Lloyds and dismissed the court application of Mr Smith to have the documents produced. As with a box of documents the copy statements held by Barclaycard on microfiche are not held in a relevant filing system.

Accordingly we are unable to disclose any further statement documentation to you pursuant to your request under the Data Protection Act. As previously advised you may contact the Customer Services team for copy statements. There is a standard charge of £3 per copy statement.

Barclaycard is not attempting to obstruct you are delay you. We are however ensuring that all subject access requests made to Barclaycard are dealt with in the same way, whether or not they relate to default fees, so all requests are processed fairly and properly. Barclaycard have made it clear to customers for many years that copy statements held on microfiche are not required to be produced pursuant to a subject access request.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss the issues further

Yours sincerely

Lindsay P Hilton

Data Protection Manager

Legal & Regulatory Compliance

Dept LRC

Like Bookworm I have details of the number of charges they have made from the initial computer printout they sent me, should I send them a claim letter for No of charges x £20 ? Should I report them to the IFO?

Help!

Just an update to let you guys know I'm still alive! My dissertation is in this Friday and so has been ruling my life recently, then its back to fighting Barclaycard, the DPA 40 days passed for me today aswell.

Will update after the weekend when the hangover has cleared, lol

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks