Misuse of My Data by Motability (probable ID theft/Benefit Fraud)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Strange one here-

Got through post a Insurance Policy taken out in my name, address date of birth etc for a Motability car i do not own or have ever seen.

Rang the insurance co , direct line and asked what's going on? they referred me back to Motability.

Motability Rang me, and confirmed actually insisted i was the registered keeper of a vehicle on the DVLA and their systems, i might add here i am not disabled or receive benefits etc

I obviously went a little crazy and had to call police etc as Motability suggested thinking some form if ID fraud or someone pretending to be  me using my details.

Then later that day it transpires and Motability admit that they used my data to do all this and i've had insurance policies with RSA and direct line since Sept 2021 and have been the registered keeper of the vehicle belonging to someone else since sept 2021.

You can imagine how mad i'm getting now, having dealt with calls to action fraud, police etc. 

I've done a formal complaint so i may escalate to ICO,  Motability quite rightly seem to be absolutley treading on eggshells when dealing with me and 'consulting' their top legal team.

So they have taken my identity, breached GDPR, given personal information to many organisations, DVLA, insurance bureaus etc, so you can imagine the level of risk i have been exposed to with all this stuff in my name by taking my data. Not to mention someone has driven around in a car, not registered to them uninsured for two years-who is unaware.

They are asking what i think i would look for in compensation etc? which i know can be awarded even without financial loss under breach of GDPR.

But i don't know what to suggest- i', still angry, this is major breach and mistake by a large organisation, of which i don't know full repercussions yet. I don't know how far my informations gone, how or why this has happened plus still haven't confirmed to me they have corrected (removed) my name from things.

Have you sent a subject access request?

I think this is the first thing I would do in order to understand the full extent of this data processing breach

well you are certainly entitled to compo, it's where that info came from is going to be the crux of everything here going forward., i suspect this is a serious multiwinged  benefit fraud case it cant be anything else so thats where Motability got involved, these scammers get the cars and then sell them on or backdoor rent them out .

it could be that they might have to be a little careful here in a way, which is why you might be slightly getting 'the run around'. if its someone impersonating you, then they dont at this point obviously want too tip them off and the authorities will need to be involved, you've also got to look at this might not be the only example of said person doing such things, what else have they done.. i could be guessing but worthy to bear-in-mind.

if its just a case of a Motability mistake, god knows where did they get your info from, cant see them being able to just do that somehow i suspect this is benefit fraud, and there is more to it than you know yet or might ever know

ping @BankFodder

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

One thing I should add is that in an action for breach of the data protection act, unless you can show financial loss and/or distress associated with that financial loss, then you can certainly claim for distress on its own – But, what distress have you suffered?

You haven't known about this at all over the two years that it has been happening. It hasn't affected your life in any way. You could only start calculating any kind of distress from the time that you came to know of it.

How long ago was that?

• dx100uk changed the title to Misuse of My Data by Motability (probable ID theft/Benefit Fraud)

Yes will ask for SAR

my details would be on their system , as daughter had a Motab car over 10 yrs ago , and I’m point of contact 

but they confirmed nothing to do with daughters details - all been done on my name only 

as for affecting life

- that’s the thing ,

high insurance premiums

can’t use broker sites ,

always say have to ring in

- which never had before last 18 months 

and there should be no reason for this 

Start making an extremely detailed note of every instance or every way that this is affected you.

Start making it using a spreadsheet and keep on bringing it up to date every time you think of something.

Do it for all future events but also do it retrospectively as well.

If you have written evidence of events or incidents which have occurred then make sure you keep them carefully...

If you have had to supply extra information to company such as insurance companies etc then send them SAR's as well.

Keep a well ordered and structured file on it all so that it all becomes easy to access if you need it later

Update - complaints dept called and said handing over to legal as I had made a SAR request -

so

closing complaint and leaving with legal who have 30 days to make a response - 

I assured them I need full answers to how a car could be picked up when my documents were required for collection. Etc - and will take this further 

• Thanks 1

have you contacted DWP regarding how PIP has been successfully applied for using your details?

as you cant get a free mutability car without it.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well i think they should be alerted as if the car has been gotten through the Motability scheme whereby a PIP award has been used to pay for it its fraud or ID theft.

dx

and they

ok good so at least benefit fraud is not involved. 

and they

Yes - although raises more questions 

to apply and collect car , need driving licence , award letter , PIN number sent to your address 

I have no evidence of I’d fraud anywhere else and not lost anything important -doc wise 

so how can car be applied for, registered and collected in my name , address and date of birth and award letter( when there is no pip for me)  ?

I guess I can only wait for SAR for more pieces of the puzzle 

well to be honest i cant believe its just a simple case of motobility clicking on the wrong name when allocating the car. something is very fishy here that's not been spotted.

dx

and they

so this goes back to 2018!

when the 1st car ran to the 3yrs limit, it was replaced with another

it gets weirder and weirder.

dx

and they

not to mention all my details and address and email! are correct on this doc so why have i never received an email or post on these matters, how has it been intercepted ?

im not even named driver on the first car in 2018 , who can have a car for someone else and not be named driver 

sadly thats all possible under the Motability scheme.

my neighbours daughter is MS, nothing is in her name bar the PIP award which pays for it monthly .

dx

and they

Update - 

did dsar to dvla too 

and through the post this morning get another insurance policy for the same car taken out again ! I’m my details with direct line starting 18/9/2023 - can’t make it up

these  people used my details again reignited policy - I’ve got to get them to stop ! how ?

- and I have sent another additional complaint letter about this, this morning .

you mentioned ICO earlier, has that string been pulled yet?

dx

and they

imho as its now been discovered this dates back several years, i cant see any harm in getting the ico onboard now nor the FOS and they will advise themselves if they can get involved at this stage ... me thinks they both will, ID Theft is a serious matter and until proven it's not, i suspect they both will want to get onboard swiftly.

dx

and they

Update -

got a letter form motability legals for the complaint - still awaiting DSAR

basically they say , no data breach, as I was appointed for my daughter many years ago, my details overwritten onto policies with someone who has similar name . But this is not a breach as because when I was appointee they were allowed to share my details with other organisations under T&C

but please have £250 for inconvenience blah Blah

im sorry , it is a breach , they had no consent to apply all my personal details to two vehicles i know nothing about with DVLA - exposing me as a registered keeper 

no right or consent to give my details to multiple insurance policies - and misused by data

im obviously going to now escalate to ICO and refuse £250 

I shall also respond with a letter before action , for the repeated breaches under the legislation

obv trying to rob me off currently