• Tweets

• I'm trying to unravel this – but I get the impression that there was no contract between you and EVRi and that you didn't even choose them but instead you decided use some third party parcel broker in the USA which organised the delivery. Is this correct? EVRi came into the picture because they would then eventually selected for part of the journey although you had no knowledge that it might be them and I suppose it didn't really matter as long as the item got to you. Secondly, I really don't understand the journey which this item made. You bought the item from somebody in the USA. They then were meant to dispatch it to you to another address in the USA but for some reason or other it came to the UK and then into the hands of EVRi at which point it was lost or stolen. More confusion here because you now tell us that EVRi marked it as being out for delivery but it was never delivered. This suggests that it was going to be delivered to a UK address but earlier on you said that it was going to be delivered to USA address. I think you need to look at the story. Maybe show it to a friend of yours who is not particularly where the details and ask them if they can make head or tail of it and then come back to us with clarification so that we fully understand. Also, I think we'd like to know what the item is, how was it declared, what was the value which was declared. You said it was a valuable item because it was rare and collectable. I gather from this that it is non-fungible. We need to understand more about this. Was an insurance policy purchased to cover it during the delivery process. I understand that this rare and collectable item be valued at £200. Have evidence this value. This could become very important. Also you have given is no idea when this happened. We need to understand the full timescale. There are a number of possibilities here including the possibility of the contract action against EVRi on the basis of your third party rights or an action for negligence but we need to know far more and we need to get a story that makes sense.   Finally, I understand that you have sent the letter of claim. What did it say? How much time did you give them? What did you expect to happen as a result of the letter of claim? Whatever the answers to those questions might be, clearly you had no idea how to proceed after having sent such a letter. A letter of claim is meant to be a serious threat of some legal action if some condition which you have stipulated is not complied with. You set a deadline for compliance and at the end of that deadline you issue the court action. Clearly you are not in a position to do that so your letter of claim is a bluff and undermines your credibility and it will find its way into the EVRi wastepaper basket – if it's not there already.  
    • Good morning. I just wanted to check something please. The other side have moved slightly and negotiated a full and final offer price to end this matter. I am happy with this. However, I want to make sure this is the end of the matter and am emailing the following over to them prior to payment. Is this enough to ensure they can come back for nothing else? Thanks -------------------------------------------------- Dear Sir.   With regards your last email below.   I am pleased to agree to the full and final settlement figure given below.   Can you confirm this payment will be in full and final payment with no further claim to be brought against me in this matter?   Best regards
    • 100% sure I didn't receive it, that why my first post is with the £100 letter.
    • Engine, the technology business Starling Bank was built on, has been busy launching banks around the world, from Romania to Australia.View the full article
    • use this your WS and inc this as an exhibit off to bed now 3 nights been up till 4am aurora watching wont be on too early as it's lambing season out herding with the dog. your WS main thrust is the debt would now be SB'd , the DN was filed xxxyrs+months after it should have been thus unlawfully extending  SB date to infinity. highlight their admittance regarding errors at that time period in your 'redetermination'  paragraph. agreements unreadable. would have already been written off due to SLC age write off criteria has they not issued the claim to stop the SB clock when they had no paperwork to prove their case in the 1st place. never earned over threshold. dx       Erudio - stopped sending email deferments won at FOS DRN-4141462.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ebay sale of Canon 1DX camera £736 - DPD delivery to wrong address . PAPLOC. Claimform issued.

One thing I didn't mention was that DPD acknowledged /agreed that the package had been delivered to the wrong address and that there would be no need in the future to produce the Witness Statement from the intended recipient. I'll complete the form tomorrow morning and send it to you before submitting it.

• Like 1

Attached should be a  part completed EX107.

Please see A10 Epiq according to page 7 of the Guidance Notes (pdf attached) appear to be the only company authorised to provide transcriptions for Birmingham County Court.

EX107 B4 is blank as I need to check the spelling of the Judges name. That is in progress.

EX107 see C3 Civil, Family and Tribunals. I am assuming I need to tick just Judgement. is that correct

EX107 see C5 I intend to tick within 12 working days is that correct.

EX107 C9 is the following OK " This having been A Dispute Resolution Hearing which did not resolve matters there is to be a future hearing . No date has been fixed as yet but the Judge indicated it would likely be set for December 2023" 

EX107_static_0823pagecomp.pdf EX107GN_0823.pdf

In no particular order:

12 = no

Just judgement will be fine

Not urgent

Where does it say you can't use the transcription agency

12 working days is fine

I think that might simply refer to the complaints process.

Why don't you telephone the transcription agency and ask them. They are very approachable

Eventually yes but you may as well wait for the transcript for the moment. There is lots of time.

Soon we should write to the other side and ask them for a copy of their contract. We will sort that out in a few days.

Meanwhile you may be interested to know that somebody has made a donation to the cost of the transcript.

They want simply to be known as a "Well-Wisher".

If you have a PayPal account Please let me have the email address for it to our admin email address and I will forward the sum to you.

Thanks for the above.. please can I commit you to a little reading. I was bored earlier this afternoon and decided to look at the ebay site. 

A document which I have copied is the T&C of Packlink, It made interesting reading see paragraphs highlighted in yellow and copies as extracts below.

DPD provided a copy of Packlinks T&C which states that Spanish Law is applicable . However reading their document on ebay it states English Law is Applicable. 

Next and maybe most important is that in the the section headed

3 General reproduced as below see b) which indicates the creation of a contract as between me and DPD which they have denied.

b) Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. 

So doesn't this mean by signing up with dpd via Packlink a contract is created? Something DPD have denied. Maybe I have misunderstood which is why I've attached apdf of the full  document copied from ebay.eBay Delivery Powered by Packlink Terms and Conditions.pdfeBay Delivery Powered by Packlink Terms and Conditions.pdf

• Thanks 1

Very interesting discovery.

I'm away at the moment. I will have a look at it next week

Hope you have had a good holiday. And yes I have received the funds via PayPal thank you.

I appreciate you wont have studied the recent pdf as yet but attach an additional file of  a possible approach to DPD. It may or may not be a sensible route to go down so I await your further advice.

query.pdf

I haven't looked through the document which you posted on the 16th – but I have just scanned to the helpful two page document which you posted on Saturday.

The reasoning seems absolutely excellent. However it seems to me that you are proposing to approach DPD about this before the trial.

I think this would be a serious mistake.

I think that it would be a better approach to compile this into an "additional bundle" and to produce it at the hearing. If you can meet the DPD representative outside the court five minutes before you according, then give that person a copy of the extra document which you are intending to provide to the judge.

When you going to the court you can tell the judge that you have only recently discovered this document and it costs a grave light over DPD's position that there was no contract with them because the evidence is that Packlink is simply a conduit to providing a direct contract between you and DPD and in that case, although you still stand by your position that you enjoy rights of third parties against them if the judge considers that there is no direct contract with DPD, on the basis that there is a direct contract then you have the right to sue them and furthermore you are entitled to be treated as a consumer with all of the protections contained in the Consumer Rights Act.
In other words I would prepare but keep my powder dry

Thank you for the reply and advice.

Is there a risk though. If I take the #extra# bundle with me is the court obliged to accept it at such short notice? Second if during the proceedings I am asked by the Judge or the Defence " when did you become aware of this additional information?" If I answer truthfully is'nt the Court likely to ask why wasn't the information in the main court bundle ? Could that disadvantage me?

On a wider point as Packlink/ebay would appear to step aside from involvement other than as introducers, it follows that all ebay users who appoint a carrier via ebay/packlink have direct contracts with the carriers.  Has this come up in any other reported cases to your knowledge?

Have you submitted the original bundle?

No... the only bundle I sent to the court and the defence was the one prior to the initial Dispute Resolution Hearing on 15th August and I am currently awaiting a transcript of the Judges summary from that hearing. No date has been set for the formal hearing which I gather is likely to be in December.

The Judge at the hearing 15th August has asked that if the transcript from the Farooq case ( Brenford CC) 12th July is received prior to early November to forward a copy for his attention.

Let's wait until then and we can send the second bundle along with the judgement.

Yes, let us know in advance so that we can work out a message to go with the items which you have found along with the transcript. I should tell you that there are some problems with the transcript the moment. We made an application on our own name and the judge refused it – I'm not sure that she was entitled to – but now it has been reapplied for by the claimant.
I am pretty confident that we will have it by October

@StoneCross

please can you help us with this

Part of your last message is missing at the moment it reads " In particularvisit this post and download and read the attached document. To post down from th......." 

Please can you supply the missing text so I understand what you are asking me to do please.

That is probably it. Thanks

Please see extract below which is self explanatory.

Good afternoon Birmingham Court, 

Can you advise whether the court records show whether there was a judgment given for the above case on the above date. All we can locate is the discussion around and the drawing up the order, not a usual judgment. If there is no record of a judgment being given, does the requestor have permission to have the whole hearing? We can then advise the requestor (CCd in) accordingly of the next steps. 

Natalie Goodson

Operations Manager / MoJ Contract Manager
The Transcription Agency, a VIQ Solutions Compan
y

Attached are two pdfs which I hope make sense. Notes to.pdf hopefully will explain the second one.

notes to.pdf query to dpd.pdf

Sorry but I don't all together understand will post above.