• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Santander - Breach of GDPR - Data Subject Access Request (DSAR)

Redmountie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, I sort of remember. Thanks. I'm afraid that I get so much coming my way and I'm pretty disorganised anyway.

Let's hope the same tactic helps with Santander.

Please could you respond to the other questions I have put – about the £100 and also about your £200 reward.

12 hours ago, BankFodder said:

I've made a few edits in red.

Also, did you eventually get your £200 reward – and was it straightforward?

Santander have confirmed that I have met their criteria for the £200 reward incentive.  However, they have yet to make the payment into my account and have advised it can take up to 30 days from when I met the criteria.  That end date being 30/04/23.  I guess that element is just a waiting game, but rest assured as soon as it's deposited into my account, I will be moving my business to another bank/building society.  

Can you just go over again the basis on which they have already offered you £100?

I've posted a screenshot of the final response letter Santander sent me with the £100 "Goodwill Gesture" which they made entirely without any admission of liability.  

You said that previously we have claimed £200 and settled for 800. Can you refresh my memory about this please.  

I can see you have managed to find my original post to my previous Breach of SAR which I won against Lloyds back in 2018.  They paid out and I issued a Notice of Discontinuance.  

Santander Executive Office Complaint Response Final Letter - 28-03-23.pdf

So it seems as if the £100 was offered unconditionally. Has it been credited into your account ?

Secondly, as you say that the date for the reward payment is the 30th, I'm wondering whether it might be worth waiting until then to see if it actually does go in.

If it doesn't go in then that gives an additional string to your bow and we might think about adding allegation so the claim and increasing the amount claimed.

I noticed that the main arguement in their letter is that you failed to meet the security requirements in your original phone calls.

Do you have to say about that?

During those phone calls, did you answer security questions and were you then permitted to discuss your account?

Is that recorded in the disclosure which you have eventually received ?

If their position is that you didn't satisfy their security requirements then they will have to show that in court and you will have to disprove it in court.

What evidence do you have that you did satisfy the security requirements at the time.

Bristol Civic Justice Centre

Claimant name and address

xxxxxxxx xxxxxx

xx xxxxxx xxxx

xxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxx xxx

Defendants name and address

Santander UK Plc, Santander House, 201 Grafton Gate East, Milton Keynes, MK9 1AN

Brief details of claim
Damage for distress caused by the defendants data protection breaches of statutory duty 

Value

£235

Particulars of claim

1. The Defendant is a Data Controller within the meaning of the Data Protection Act 2018 and is responsible for the processing of data of which the Claimant is a data Subject.  

2. This claim is in relation to two breaches of the Data Protection Act (2018) by the Defendant.

(a) Failure to comply with the statutory time limit dated 12 March 2023

(b) Failure to comply with the statutory time limit dated 28 March 2023

3. The Defendant has failed to comply with the statutory time limit on two occasions and has therefore committed two breaches of the Data Protection Act (2018).  

(a) On 10 February 2023, the Claimant made a request to the Defendant for a statutory data disclosure.  The statutory timeframe for compliance was 12 March 2023.  Despite being fully aware of the Subject Access Request, the Defendant has never made any disclosure as a result of this request.  

(b) On 26 February 2023, the Claimant made a request to the Defendant for a statutory data disclosure.  The statutory timeframe for compliance was 28 March 2023.  Despite being fully aware of the Subject Access Request, the Defendant has never made any disclosure as a result of this request.  

(c) On 11 March 2023, the Claimant made a request to the Defendant for a statutory data disclosure.  The statutory timeframe for compliance was 08 April 2023.  The Claimant received data disclosure on 29 March 2023, but only in relation to this third data disclosure request.  

4. The Claimant seeks £200 damages for distress caused by virtue of the Defendant's breaches of their statutory duty to disclose personal data, within 30 days, in response to two Subject Access Requests.

(a) Purpose of the Subject Access Requests

The Claimant made the Subject Access Requests in order to start the process of understanding and resolving problems with his new bank account, which had been caused by the negligence and contractual breaches of the Defendant.

The Defendant's negligence/breach of contract are not at the moment a subject of this court action. 

The failure by the Defendants to conduct the Claimant's account correctly and also to communicate with the Claimant's fairly at all is a breach of the Banking (Conduct of Business) Regulations - BCOBS - which were made pursuant to the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 - although those breaches are not currently the subject of this present legal action.  

The Claimant opened a new bank account with the Defendant on 02 February 2023. 

The account was important to the Claimant because this was his main bank account in which he conducted all of his financial business.    

It had been the intention of the Claimant to move his banking business to the Defendant’s bank because they offered a £200 reward incentive and cashback on bills.

An essential element of the opening of the new account was effectively the transfer of his financial life from his previous bank account to the Defendant’s bank. 

The Claimant relied on the Defendants use of the Current Account Switch Service (CASS) in order to achieve a seamless transfer and without any disruption to his own life, the life of his creditors or the organisations to whom he was scheduled to make regular payments. 

The Current Account Switch Service (CASS) is designed to let the customer switch their current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way.  It will only take seven working days.  

The payments referred too include:-

1. utilities,
  2. mobile phone,
  3. water,
  4. insurance,
  5. rent,
  6. council tax,
  7. tv licence,
  8. vehicle road tax.   

The Defendant failed in their duty to the Claimant in that they failed to issue online banking credentials when the account was opened.  The Defendant has admitted this in there complaint response letter dated 21 February 2023.  

Although the claimant made several phone calls to the Defendant and received undertakings, the Defendant did not remedy there negligent behaviour, and ultimately ended up having to issue online banking credentials on 09 February 2023 (Letter one of two) and 10 February 2021 (Letter two of two), some seven to eight days after the account was opened. 

(b) The Subject Access Requests

Subject Access Request Number One
The claimant eventually decided to try and solve the problem himself and began by submitting a Subject Access Request on the 10 February 2023 in order to discover what had happened and to begin the process of sorting out the mess created by the Defendant.
The defendant breached their data protection obligations by failing to respond with a statutory disclosure within the statutory time limit of 30 days.

Subject Access Request Number Two
The claimant made a subsequent Subject Access Request on 26 February 2023.
The Defendant breached their data protection obligations a second time by failing to respond with a statutory disclosure within the statutory 30 days.
In respect of both Subject Access Requests, the Claimant received no acknowledgement and no question or enquiry from the Defendant. 
At no point did the Defendant indicate that they required more information in order to satisfy the requirements of the Subject Access Request.
At the time that each Subject Access Request was made, the Claimant had satisfied all of the Defendants requirements as to the ascertainment of his identity in that the Claimant responded to all of the Defendants security questions satisfactorily and was then allowed to discuss his account with them on the telephone.

Subject Access Request Number Three

The Claimant made a third subject access request on 11 March 2023.
The Defendant did comply with this subject access request on 29 March 2023. The data which was disclosed as a result of this third Subject Access Request revealed that the Defendant had received the first two Subject Access Requests and had failed to do anything with them. Either the Defendant felt that the Claimant had not satisfied there identity security requirements – despite the fact that they had been happy to speak to him on the telephone about his banking account – or else the request had been incorrectly actioned by staff within the Defendant's business.
In neither case did the Defendant take any action to inform the Claimant that his requests had not been correctly actioned and at the point of making the requests he was not asked for additional verification as to identity – although it is submitted that this would have been unnecessary in the circumstances.

(c) Particulars of distress

This caused extreme anxiety and distress as well as being very time-consuming. The process of having to deal with this has interrupted the Claimant's normal life and routines and has caused particular anxiety and worry about the possibility of direct debits and standing orders not being correctly setup and therefore falling into default with various companies and the risk of resulting

negative entries on his credit file.  The Claimant’s distress has been exacerbated by the continuing lack of cooperation by the Defendant, the cost of additional correspondence and time spent preparing documents and seeking legal advice. 

18 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

So it seems as if the £100 was offered unconditionally. Has it been credited into your account ?

Yes the £100 has been credited into my account. 

Secondly, as you say that the date for the reward payment is the 30th, I'm wondering whether it might be worth waiting until then to see if it actually does go in.

If it doesn't go in then that gives an additional string to your bow and we might think about adding allegation so the claim and increasing the amount claimed.

I am happy to wait or continue on the basis of the two breaches of there statutory duty to disclose the data in the Subject Access Requests. 

I noticed that the main arguement in their letter is that you failed to meet the security requirements in your original phone calls.

Do you have to say about that?

When I made those respective phone calls, I had already passed security to the point where they were able to discuss my account and complaints.  At no time did either member of staff tell me that I had to go through "enhanced security" or had not cleared sufficient security in order to submit the Subject Access Requests.  They both verbally accepted my Subject Access Request's and told me that they would process them.  I only became aware that I had to be passed through to an additional "enhanced security" team after they had sent me there final response letter to my complaints. 

During those phone calls, did you answer security questions and were you then permitted to discuss your account? I believe so but cannot access the encrypted CD Rom which has the calls I made.  This is due to restrictions by my employer and i don't own my own laptop so not sure how I am going to be able to listen to the calls to verify security was or wasn't passed.   

Is that recorded in the disclosure which you have eventually received ?

If their position is that you didn't satisfy their security requirements then they will have to show that in court and you will have to disprove it in court.

What evidence do you have that you did satisfy the security requirements at the time.

You say that you can't access the recording of the conversation because of your employers security concerns. I gather from this that you are trying to use your employers equipment to listen to it.

I think that it is really quite essential to know what it says on the audio so you're going to have to sign some other way of dealing with it. We may as well wait until we see what happens on the 30th and that should give you time to take whatever steps are necessary to access the audio.

I think it is essential in bringing an action like this that you are completely on top of the evidence and that nothing is left to chance. I certainly think that if you have got all your ducks in a row that in order to extricate themselves from this, that they will end up offering quite a bit more than you claimed.

• 2 weeks later...

**update**

I have now received the (1) the £200 Reward Incentive for opening my account with Santander, and (2) the £200 I requested in my Letter Before Claim

I am happy with this outcome and now considered this case won and settled. 

Thank you to all the Cag Team and others who have helped me once again.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update – well done.

• Thanks 1