• Tweets

• Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hankins Car Sales/lawgistics - 2010 Vauxhall Zafira 7 seater - court claim issued - not fit for purpose.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been trying on phone for last 3 days to get hold of the court to pay my fees.  Emailed them and they say it will take 29 working days to reply to my email.  Website says not to just turn up without an appointment... what a system!  

courts are closed at the w/end.

and mondays are always busy for northants bulk court

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just to be sure, the directions normally provide a number to call in order to make payment.

Are you definitely calling that number and not one which is listed elsewhere on the internet which may be for enquiries rather than payments?

Alternatively you could pay by cheque and send it in the post.

Apparently I tell them my number over email and someone then calls me at a random time to take paymebr over the phone.  Waiting for someone to call me at any point now. 

2023 apparently!  Where are the online payment options?? 

Should i send a copy of my witness statement to the defendant?  The document i got from the court says i need to 'serve and file' by the date.   I have already sent to the court but have just received the defendants statement so im not sure if i should forward mine to them? 

edit: nevermind, I have realised that 'Served' means to send to the defendant so i have done this

Edited by DiscoCow
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

got my hearing date coming up shortly and was going through things ahead of time.  

Not sure what to expect as far as process is concerned though.   At the last hearing I barely spoke and the judge basically asked to confirm details and then told us to get an independent report and then we left

At this final hearing am I going to be standing up to make a statement and counter arguments etc or will it be another situation where I am mainly responding to questions from the judge?  

Should i prepare an opening statement of sorts?  Should i expect the judge to have read my witness statement and attachments in depth?

Its supposed to be up to 1.5hrs long but I am not sure what will take that length of time

Also it states on Citizens Advice "If you lose you might have to pay some of the defendant’s costs - like travel and lost wages"

Is this a realistic thing that might happen? 

Edited by DiscoCow

44 minutes ago, DiscoCow said:

Also it states on Citizens Advice "If you lose you might have to pay some of the defendant’s costs - like travel and lost wages"

typically the very worst would be about £100 mark, they as you can, can claim time off work, thats £90 at MAX. and small costs like postage etc

46 minutes ago, DiscoCow said:

Should i expect the judge to have read my witness statement and attachments in depth?

god yes i would be shocked if not!!

speak when/if spoke too or if you disagree with something the opposition say but be polite!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thank you.  So you dont think i would need to stand up and present my case again?  Its just a case of clarifying/answering questions as needed and requesting time to speak to rebuff the points raised by defendants? 

urm..judge lottery IMHO.

or they play golf with their friends.

and they

yeah i felt that it may have been a different decision with a different person.   He laboured so hard that 116k miles was an extremely high mileage for a car so the bar for satisfactory quality was going to be much lower.  116k isnt that much for a used car in the grand scheme of things. High yes but not horrifically high

In hindsight I am just annoyed that the process is such that you dont get a chance to rebuff what the judge is saying past your 1 allocated moment, just have to sit there in the summing up and accept it

Thank you for your coming back to report the outcome, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't what you wanted.

I understand it may be difficult to read after the fact but I think the real issue was the diagnosis report.

I recall when I first read it thinking that it reads as a stitch up of the owner and made very little of the fact that if coolant did leak it must have done so due to a problem inherent with the engine, particularly as the coolant system was assessed as intact.

I recall you saying the judge suggested that the independent report should be carried out by the AA or the RAC.

It later turns out the report was carried out by a company called Automotive Consulting Engineers Ltd which, unless I have misunderstood, are not associated with either the AA or the RAC and may have been appointed by the Defendant. A check of their reviews on trust pilot shows a string of negative experiences all of which have been made by car owners and not by garages.

If they were appointed by the Defendant then regrettably I think this was an error and for anyone reading in the future it is important that an expert witness is not left to the other side to organise.

I'm not suggesting this is what happened, but it is easy to imagine that a garage has lots of useful contacts they can call upon when they require a diagnosis report and who it might favour as a result.

Yeah you are right and the judge wasn't very happy with the report either. 

Unfortunately AA cancelled their appointment and said they couldn't do the report and recommended this other company 

But it's fairly obvious that the garage have directed them to a certain conclusion so I should have just done one myself as well.  Unfortunately I didn't know about this until the day final evidence had to be submitted 

• 3 weeks later...

help with some advice

Have tried to arrange collection of the vehicle as scrap but the dealer has said they will not release the vehicle back to me until i pay £700+vat for storage at £20 a week..or sign the car over to them and call it final

During their initial response to the mcol claim they said they reserve the right to claim storage fees.  They havent up to this point mentioned anything about it, i havent accepted any terms relating to it.  

During the court hearing, the legal representative asked at the end if they could claim costs and the judge said he wasnt going to award costs. 

Where do i stand on this? 

I feel that a contract hasnt been formed as i havent been given any details of terms and I havent accepted them.  Although is the previous comment about them reserving the right to claim fees valid for my acceptance as i carried on with the claim? 

I feel like i am being blackmailed here to sign the car over to them for nothing

remind them of the judges ruling...no costs allowed?

dx

and they

as you 'lost' its a sep fee .

though i'd be pretty firm on them needing to prove you agreed to such storage fees....

and they