• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Moneybarn dilemma

Candystriper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an agreement with MB. Not paid 50% yet and have 3 months arrears. I am self employed and had a business go under during Covid. i am however, back on my feet and able to clear the arrears. 

i previously asked MB what would happen if I wanted to hand the car back and they sent me the options. so on a voluntary return I would still owe them £5k and have no car.

i cannot get car finance or any finance- my credit rating is poor due to issues with my now failed business. i need a car for work.

the car is less than a year old, and is playing up. As I type this I am stranded and waiting for the AA, again!

garage says it requires major work and I should get rid as the cost of the repairs outweigh it’s worth.

i just don’t know what to do. 

MB are going to sting me regardless.

any advice?

thank you

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not your problem it's gone wrong, why do you think it is?

it's their car, if it's not working and you've only had it less than 12mts, under you consumer rights, get someone like the AA in do a full report, and if the faults can be proved to be there at time of sale then MB have one chance to repair it then it's refund time.

ive moved you to the moneybarn forum

100's of threads to read here.

they are the worst company ever and make up the rules as they go along.

whats up with the car?

you wouldnt hire a taxi and be expected to pay for it if it broke down with you in it, why do you think an HP agreement is any different!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Now go back and read my post again carefully...  

It's is not your car, it's moneybarns 

The only thing you are responsible for is it's daily maintenance and fluids etc or anything deemed wear and tear or its annual service since you having it 

I would suspect your major fault here is the timing chain, the rest are incidental .

You should have the full service history, when was or should the timing chainhave been last changed and when should the last service been carried out? 

What is the car?

How many miles on the clock?

How many miles has it done in your hands?

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what type of mini, full desc please ...ideally we need that as members might not help without it

like:

WWW.NORTHAMERICANMOTORING.COM

Nothing is fool proof, and even with BMW engineering expertise behind them, the Mini Cooper does occasionally suffer from design defects....

and they

I don’t really want to say because I don’t want MB to be able to identify me from this post!

If the car is over 12 months does this still apply?

It did have problems almost immediately after I bought it, and I spent a couple of hundred pounds getting it fixed. 

please stop playing secret squirrel

there are 1000's of moneybarn threads here already.

after 6mts of ownership its upto you to get the reports done.

your rights run to SIX YEARS..

being frightened of people is why you are in this problem in the 1st place!!

you should not be having to pay anything to fix a car that IS NOT YOURS!!

did you tell MB this

dx 

and they

I haven’t told MB yet. 
i have just got back from the garage and they said it will be Tuesday before they can look it at. It has a lots of errors coming up when they plugged it in. 

I asked them to do a comprehensive report of the faults and costs to repair, plus consider if these faults were there when I bought it. 
now what? 

I’ve now looked at the service history- it has two years missing.

The fault that it’s in the garage for now first occurred in March, 6 months after I got the car and Mini said they had fixed it with new glow plugs. I paid £222 for that.

Should I wait for the new report next week before contacting MB? And what should I say to them?

Should I pay the three months arrears or no?

you should never have stopped payments if you want to keep the car.

you have owned it less than 1 yrs so it is not protected goods under the agreement you have. 

once they issue a default notice they can snatch it from anywhere bar private property and you'd be liable for the complete agreement total and lose the car.

what type of mini?

when is the timing chain due?

dx

and they

It’s now a year that I have had it. I don’t want to keep it, I want to hand it back because it needs costly work on it. I’m waiting to hear how much work but I was told by another garage that the work would cost more than the car is worth. 
i just want to know how to approach Moneybarn. Thank you.

you cant just 'hand it back'

you have not paid more than 1/3rd it is not protected goods.

you need to prove the timing chain? has gone because its either not been serviced properly or is one in that mini link i post 

what type is the mini and what year please:frusty:

we can help you with what you want to do but not without a bit of info please.

dx

and they

There are two services missing in the service log 2016 and 2020.

mb say I can hand it back on a voluntary termination but still be liable for £5.5k. Or they can take it back and compulsorily and I will still be on the hook for £9k

its a countryman 2013.

can you go here and tell me what it says when you given the site the relevant info>

WWW.MINI.CO.UK

Find the latest information on product recalls for MINI. Search for your vehicle, and explore the FAQs if your vehicle is affected.

yes MB are correct , they are the 2 options if you cant prove the fault was present at the time of your purchase

dx

and they

yo @Candystriper 

@dx100ukis doing their best here to try and help you get to the bottom of your issue with MB. 

Normally they wont be able to identify you from the post and MB do lots of transactions on cars 

We dont need the reg - Just the info DX needs. 

They are right that there could be 2 options. 

FKO

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

outside of 6mts it is down to you to produce a report , CRA is upto 6yrs.

can you goto to that website and tell me what is say regarding you car..

21 hours ago, dx100uk said:

can you go here and tell me what it says when you given the site the relevant info>

WWW.MINI.CO.UK

Find the latest information on product recalls for MINI. Search for your vehicle, and explore the FAQs if your vehicle is affected.

dx

and they

Have MB issued a DN or terminated the agreement yet?

To advise best option we need to know the full amount payable and the amount you have paid to date including the deposit 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

The exact amount of the full agreement and the exact amount that you have paid including the deposit please 

What you have missed is not relevant at the moment 

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

First thing you are going to need is an independent engineers report you need to show that the problems with the car were there at the time of purchase 

Good that you have cleared the arrears 

Just bear in mind that if the worst happens you can VT at anytime you don’t have to pay off the outstanding balance at the time you can simply make a small offer of monthly payments

But your first action before tackling MB is to get that report done