Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

Britain has dropped out of the world top 10 for good governance.

The article has a clip of Sunak being mullered by Janet Street-Porter on Loose Women. I've seen a couple of other clips and it really didn't go well for him.

Yet again, the spads think it's a good idea to go on daytime TV because he'll have an easy ride. It reminds me of Truss's disaster when they put her on local radio.

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

A damning report has shown that the UK has dropped out of the top 10 countries for good governance under Rishi Sunak’s leadership

Illegitimi non carborundum

There are various interesting snippets in this. Minister Johnny Mercer was working on a train recently and another passenger took screenshots of his laptop screen with a memo to No 10 with a few complaints.

This one isn't a surprise but seems to show that the Tories are deliberately suppressing the student vote.

'The cabinet minister complained that he had been trying to persuade No 10 to let veterans use their IDs at polling stations “for months without success”. He said he had found out the plans had been blocked by the prime minister’s special advisers because they could “open the floodgates” to allow students to use their cards too. In the event some veterans were turned away from polling stations when they went to vote. No 10, he said, was failing to listen to him and other MPs. “Feels like even I cannot have any impact on the grid/ government comms,” he said.'

Sky's political correspondent was removed from the election launch and thrown out of the building. Good start to the campaign.

In other news, Steve Bray has been banned from a lot of streets near Parliament and No 10. Two people complained about him playing 'Things can only get better' while Sunak was making his announcement about the election. Under Braverman's new law/rules, this is all it takes.

NEWS.SKY.COM

As he was being "forcibly removed" from the room, Darren said: "We just simply wanted to have access tonight, but unfortunately, we are told that...

So you don't agree with Rory Stewart and the Tory MPs he talked to, UB?

Another possible reason is that there have been rumours in the City recently about a large group of MPs wanting to get rid of Sunak. He's said previously that he would rather call and election than be ousted by the party.

I've even read this morning that a gang of MPs want to remove Sunak before next Thursday [dissolution of Parliament], put their man in and call off the election. One journo has mentioned that a lot of MPs thought they had another 6-7 months to get their lives in order and this timing doesn't suit them. They think Sunk is being selfish.

• I agree 1

I've just seen this. According to the Times, the decision to call an election was taken a month ago.

So Sunak went on Loose Women, told everyone they could book their summer holidays and not worry - and lied.

ARCHIVE.PH

archived 22 May 2024 23:19:24 UTC

Tory MPs didn't expect a July GE - and now they're furious.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Sunak’s party has plunged into a short campaign without a plan, says Henry Hill, the deputy editor of ConservativeHome

There's lots of speculation in the weekend press about the timing of the election. One theory I could agree with is that it was a fit of pique because his charm offensive on voters hasn't made any difference at all with voters.

I can also buy into the theory that he has a job lined up in California. So the daughters finish the summer term in the UK, have the summer holidays to settle into the house in California and start school over there in September. He has to hope he gets his green card back.

I would love to see him lose the seat for Richmond but if he doesn't, what's he likely to do? Assuming the Tories don't win, is he going to resign as MP and let them have an immediate by-election or be a very part-time MP with a job 5,000 or so miles away?

Sunak tried to stop the public seeing this report.

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

As Chancellor, Rishi Sunak ignored pleas from campaigners including footballer Marcus Rashford by scrapping the £20-per-week Universal Credit...

This sounds bad. Long-term investigation by the Graun.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Mossad director Yossi Cohen personally involved in secret plot to pressure Fatou Bensouda to drop Palestine investigation, sources say