Being chased for 3 old debts, one of which I'm not sure I even know about

EveOwes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, again!

I've received a number of letters recently chasing small amounts:

1. bwlegal keep chasing for £52.75 owed to the original creditor BFSL t/a budget financial services - I don't know who that is.

I'm certain that if I ask them about it then it will be something I owe, but I'm blank at the moment.  I did enter an online agreement with bwlegal a while back and agreed £5/m but I was broke so couldn't afford it, then forgot all about it - that was Oct 2020. 

Just this minute I logged in and it is the same account but the account is closed and is a different reference number.  they have reinstated it.  They sent me a 60% discount letter with a deadline of late August but I forgot about it. now they are saying something about recommending to their client that they should consider legal action.  I have until 15 Sept to respond.

2. This is a letter from Lowell regarding two old accounts - I can't remember how old they are - which they have now referred to Overdales Legal Ltd. 

The amounts are £130 allegedly owed to BT and £101 owed to EE. 

I know I disputed the BT one at the time because it was when they were hiking their prices up at the end of a contract so I cancelled yet they still added more contract time and cost, even though I had written to them to cancel. 

The EE one was years ago when I went abroad and someone used my phone to call the UK and I ended up getting the bill.  I disputed it with EE as it seemed way over the top.  I don't even remember when it was but it could have been as recent as 2017 - I have no idea. 

The person who used the phone at the time hasn't offered to pay the bill.  So Overdales want £232 off me to settle these.  They are threatening court action and say that they have been instructed by their client Lowell to request that the court issues a County Court Claim against me.

What shall I do? 

Should I send a SAR to BT and EE (or try and check my records) or a SAR to Lowell?  I'm confused and annoyed. 

My car died on me a few months ago and I've since taken out a loan to get a decent car which I need for my market stall business which has been dormant for a while.  It seems as soon as I try to do something positive these people get their claws out.

Thank you for any help and advice.

Edited by dx100uk
Format

stop blindly paying and responding to anyone until or unless you ever get a letter of claim.

if however you suspect that these accounts were taken out a a different address to where you live now, and never told the original creditors or since the debt owner (lowell) then write ONE letter to lowell stating the ref numbers concerned simply stating please note my correct address..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi. No the address is ok etc.   well I’ve missed the boat on the 60% reduction for bwlegal account. But I acknowledged it in 2020 so they can easily come after me, even though I don’t remember what it’s for. 

lowell will take me to court. They did so a few years ago for a house of Fraser account which was settled at mediation.  But the BT one is disputed but BT are hard cases and wouldn’t give in. It’s not the first time I’ve had issues with them.

why are you even thinking of paying a reduced settlement.:frusty:

you've won more cases than you've lost

and 

lowell typically discontinue most telecom cases if defended properly and your was in dispute, 100's of won cases here on them.

please dont forget BT is NOTHING to do with the debt now they've sold it on to fleecers for 10p=£1

stop being scared of a powerless dCA or their wolves...

see if you get any letter of claim from overdales

dx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Send SAR's to the original companies any debts were owed to.

Write back to Overdales saying that you don't have any information about any debts and can they provide more information. 

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hit letter of claim

follow post 2

and inc a cca request for the loan.

Dx

• Thanks 1

and they

be mindful of post 5? too-  the mobile reply options.

you need to ensure you mention all 3 debts on their LOC.

you also need to READ their letter PROPERLY

it does not say you have 30 days to SPEAK to them.

never ever use the phone to a DCa and never ever use EMAIL.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they