Non Refundable £500 Deposit with Audi

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

We live in Scotland and have seen a nice Q7 in England, but the Sales guys has replied back saying they need a 'Non Refundable £500 deposit’ to hold the car so none of the other sales reps gets their hands on it. I haven’t seen any videos of the car yet as it’s still being prepped, but the details have been uploaded on the Audi website (but with no picture). 

Quote from Audi Sales in Email: 'We don’t have any refundable deposits taken unfortunately any deposit we take is to buy the car & therefore non-refundable' and 'We have two options either wait until I can get the video & risk having a colleague of mine sell the car or place a deposit to purchase the vehicle of £500. The only way this £500 would be returned is if the car is mis described'

Now having spoken to my pal who works for Audi in Scotland, he said this "is Illegal" and Audi can't keep a £500 deposit, "they can't keep a deposit if a customer changes their mind". I also did call Audi Office, and they advised that’s due to all the dealerships being franchise, they can basically make up their own terms…

Why the hell are Audi doing this, and are they breaking the law?

Do I have rights with distance selling regulations, and if I pay the £500 deposit on Credit Card, will the CC company take my side even though the transaction wasn’t fraudulent if we decide to change our mind so we have cover? 

Thanks all 

I'm afraid that I don't see any problem in principle with paying a sum of money in order to reserve your option on a car or any other object for a particular period of time.

If they then hold the car for you and refuse to sell it to others then they have effectively carried out their side of the bargain.

If on the other hand you placed the £500 as a part payment then you would be protected by the distance selling regulations

Have you read our guidance on buying a used car?

Will it be paid by cash or paid by bank transfer?

Thanks BankFodder,

I will ensure an email is replied, from them, stating confirmation it’s part payment towards the car.

If I do change my mind, and the payment was towards the car, what would be the process in claiming back the £500 paid on either a Debit Card or Credit Card? 

Do I just contact my card company and ask for a chargeback

2 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Have you read our guidance on buying a used car?

Nope not yet,  but I will do :) 

Do it

So you are buying a used car – at a distance (we don't know how many miles yet) – unseen, with the company that is already sending out warning signals that a deposit which you will put on the car will not be refundable – directly in defiance of the distance selling regulations.

What is the name of the dealer?

We look forward to seeing you back here in the fairly near future trying to assert your rights and to get your money back.

It’s an actual Audi Dealership in England, and yes buying a used Q7 2018 

Distance is around 300 miles, if anything goes wrong Audi provide 1 year used and approved warranty, which can be sorted if anything goes wrong at any Dealership. So distance is not a worry when trying to get things sorted, if that happens. 

Well I hope it goes well for you.

If you have to come back about it, then please use this thread rather than start a new thread.

Make sure that you tell them that you are confirming the purchase, that here is £xxx initial payment with the balance of £xxx to be paid when you collect it.

If it has a brand new MOT - then get it re-mot'd within the first few days

1 hour ago, somethingelseplease said:

It’s an actual Audi Dealership in England, and yes buying a used Q7 2018 

Distance is around 300 miles, if anything goes wrong Audi provide 1 year used and approved warranty, which can be sorted if anything goes wrong at any Dealership. So distance is not a worry when trying to get things sorted, if that happens. 

just remember that any warranty does NOT replace nor negate your consumer rights, and most certainly don't pay for one.

and ofcourse does NOT limit your 'comeback' for just 12mts or whatever period.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...